Software to design 3d objects for 3d printing?

RuschGaming

hey guys im trying to find windows based software to design a few things as a hobby. Gonna be building some ideas i have for pc's etc and a small case for my udoo board.  I have extra time to work on this but i cant seem to find a good software paid or free.  I dont own a 3d printer just yet maybe in the future. 

Ive tried these webbased 3d "software" but they are so laggy and half the time cant find the things i need. 

Right so hope you guys can point me to the right direction or recommend me any software that could help. 

There are a lot out there. Some that you can use include sketch up, blender, and open cad. There are a bunch you can check out here: https://all3dp.com/best-3d-printing-software-tools/

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I would use sketchup. You can teach it to yourself in about a hour, and it is a very intuitive yet powerful free software. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

my school uses vectorworks (which is terrible) and rhino (which is supposed to be decent but I never got around to using it). I'd recommend blender or google sketchup

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Fusion 360 is the best on the market right now. Free for students, hobbiests, and startups.

ASU

I'd say either autodesk fusion360 or inventor pro. Both free for students. I'd recommend staying away from mesh based modelers as they can output bad stl files. That can be fixed with a program like netfabb though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

On 1/8/2017 at 7:24 PM, Hackentosher said:

Fusion 360 is the best on the market right now. Free for students, hobbiests, and startups.

YES. Fusion 360 is really really good, and relatively easy to learn, to boot. 

If you're looking for some videos, AutoCAD is also more or less interchangeable with Fusion 360, with some minor UI changes, and a few more modern features (since fusion 360 gets updated weekly, instead of yearly.) in case you can't find a video to explain something specific in Fusion.

Honestly, for learning Fusion is kind of the best out there, and it has integrated tools for cloud based rendering, which can be really nice, not to mention the integrated 3d printing tools, which will really streamline the process anyway. (it can be a bit of a PITA to transfer something from a 3d modeling software like blender into something that can actually create the toolpaths for a real print.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

22 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

YES. Fusion 360 is really really good, and relatively easy to learn, to boot. 

If you're looking for some videos, AutoCAD is also more or less interchangeable with Fusion 360, with some minor UI changes, and a few more modern features (since fusion 360 gets updated weekly, instead of yearly.) in case you can't find a video to explain something specific in Fusion.

Honestly, for learning Fusion is kind of the best out there, and it has integrated tools for cloud based rendering, which can be really nice, not to mention the integrated 3d printing tools, which will really streamline the process anyway. (it can be a bit of a PITA to transfer something from a 3d modeling software like blender into something that can actually create the toolpaths for a real print.)

Preach it. Fusion 360 is honestly a solid works competitor and its so close to being perfect. Some model manipulation tools are a little janky, but overall it's so good. 

I know fusion can create tool paths for CAM, but not printing. I think they had that for awhile but gave up when they realized other slicers do it better. They have a box you can check when you export your part as an stl that literally says "send to Cura". 

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Preach it. Fusion 360 is honestly a solid works competitor and its so close to being perfect. Some model manipulation tools are a little janky, but overall it's so good. 

I know fusion can create tool paths for CAM, but not printing. I think they had that for awhile but gave up when they realized other slicers do it better. They have a box you can check when you export your part as an stl that literally says "send to Cura". 

Ah. I was using it a while ago (been too busy) so last I used it, they still did their own slicing. Still, sounds like it's a pretty automated service, which is basically all you need for basic prints.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Ah. I was using it a while ago (been too busy) so last I used it, they still did their own slicing. Still, sounds like it's a pretty automated service, which is basically all you need for basic prints.

It's. So. Good. 

ASU

I use Inventor Pro, it is very easy to learn, and quite powerful.

`

1 hour ago, klh2000 said:

I use Inventor Pro, it is very easy to learn, and quite powerful.

Fusion is based around inventor, but it's easier to use and more intuitive. Also fusion is multithreaded (single threaded inventor really sucks when you have a couple hundred faces or more) and doesn't cost $2000. The only thing is inventor has more powerful sketching tools. 

ASU

• 2 weeks later...

I use blender. It is a bit harder to learn but it is very powerful and it's completely free

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

i use 123 design because its very very simple and it allows for exact measurements. so for more organic modeling it'll probably be harder (but possible)