Kaveri APU's set to use DDR3 and 128 bit bus

Psychatog

http://www.eteknix.com/amds-kaveri-apus-support-ddr3-gddr5-memory/

post-42126-0-38574400-1383495003.jpg

So here is the big question, does this surprise anyone?  Until we get faster ram speeds, unless ram chips are soldered onto the board it will be limited to what is available on the board.  The rumor is, the top tier Kaveri APU will be on par with an HD 7730.  I am pretty disappointed in this as that is marginally if any better than the HD 7660D/HD 8760D.  I believe the hope is that the CPU portion is ramped up a bit.  Lastly, the article outlines the next generation APU's including middle and low tier products.

Okay? I mean really, if you're tying to run anything more intensive than Minecraft on an APU, you're doing it wrong. Not to mention I doubt RAM is the bottleneck.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Not to mention I doubt RAM is the bottleneck.

Doesn't faster RAM make the most difference on an APU? Pretty sure it's one of the only cases where it affects performance to a noticeable degree.

You're still right of course, APU's aren't meant for hardcore gaming so it makes sense to not push forward with new technology on a lower tier product.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Top tier already matches the 7730 with 1600mhz ram. New ones will definitely score better... Especially with some fast ram like 2400mhz like tek syndicate has shown. and that's not to mention what you could crossfire with it. I think in testing Logan got the a10-6800k with fast ram and a 7750 to beat a 787 in bf3? Don't quote me but that's pretty nice for an apu setup

Doesn't faster RAM make the most difference on an APU? Pretty sure it's one of the only cases where it affects performance to a noticeable degree.

You're still right of course, APU's aren't meant for hardcore gaming so it makes sense to not push forward with new technology on a lower tier product.

Actually that might not be the case anymore, in BF4 the difference with 1600mhz to 2400mhz on a non APU setup in windows 7 was something like 10-20 fps.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Okay? I mean really, if you're tying to run anything more intensive than Minecraft on an APU, you're doing it wrong. Not to mention I doubt RAM is the bottleneck.

APUs can play pretty much anything on a 720p TV with high settings, and RAM is definitely the bottleneck.

Actually that might not be the case anymore, in BF4 the difference with 1600mhz to 2400mhz on a non APU setup in windows 7 was something like 10-20 fps.

That just means an apu will just get faster

That was from the beta, I doubt it's still this much of a difference in the final version.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

This is a bummer, I do really hope that in the future most mid range gamers won't need a GPU at all, that the integrated graphics can give a high solid performance, and the discrete solutions are meant for hardcore, multimonitor, or maybe 4k people.

With Richland, 2013 was pretty damn  covered, They could have taken their time, put a beefier chipset on it, more features, more CPU& GPU power, DDR4, and launch it at Q3/Q4 2014.

any idea if new motherboards FM2+ plus the PCIe 3.0 will have DDR4 ram?  :)

any idea if new motherboards FM2+ plus the PCIe 3.0 will have DDR4 ram?  :)

I highly doubt it, absolutely no point in that right now. DDR4 is still scarce and expensive, two things you don't want your entire platform to be, and to this point the performance difference between current top end DDR3 chips and DDR4 just isn't wide enough to justify it. 

Now maybe this is unlikely, but maybe there will be mantle support for APUs in the near future. Could you imagine extreme optimization for something like this? Basically running console quality on a two in one solution. Maybe you'll have to skimp on a few things but over all I don't think APUs are obsolete for gaming, especially on a budget.

Isn't ram and the memory bus a bottleneck ? I mean if you put faster ram on current APU's you will see a performance gain.

Now maybe this is unlikely, but maybe there will be mantle support for APUs in the near future. Could you imagine extreme optimization for something like this? Basically running console quality on a two in one solution. Maybe you'll have to skimp on a few things but over all I don't think APUs are obsolete for gaming, especially on a budget.

Mantle should work with anything running a GCN architecture, which Kaveri will be using for the GPU part of the APU. 

i dont think the gddr5 support was to allow you to use gddr5 on your motherboard.. it was so that you could crossfire better with high end cards like the r9 290x

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

This is a bummer, I do really hope that in the future most mid range gamers won't need a GPU at all, that the integrated graphics can give a high solid performance, and the discrete solutions are meant for hardcore, multimonitor, or maybe 4k people.

With Richland, 2013 was pretty damn  covered, They could have taken their time, put a beefier chipset on it, more features, more CPU& GPU power, DDR4, and launch it at Q3/Q4 2014.

Integrated graphics are still gpu's

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place