HELP! 6700k dead!

Go to solution Solved by trix4rix,
19 hours ago, Energycore said:

Ok time for a test

Sit the CPU on the socket without its IHS. See if you can get to the POST screen and if you can, the CPU is saved and you should carefully redo the thermal solution. Of course since there is nothing cooling the CPU, you should cut power immediately after you hit the POST screen.

I left the IHS on while trying, and the CPU does not get hot, does not post, it's like the MoBo isn't recognizing anything is there

10 hours ago, faziten said:

Id first check the socket for bent pins. Its quick and easy to do. Already did it? Do it again from different angles. 

Sit the IHS and close the socket retention arm slowly and steady. See if it presses both sides as it should without any play involved. 

Add TIM on top of the IHS and just put a heatsink on top (dont screw it in, hold it down with your arm weight ) and attempt to boot (stock bios, do a clear CMOS first to guarantee there is default settings in place). This way you are discarding the possible uneven pressure. If it posts, kill the power and screw your cooling solution (and repeat the P.O.S.T test). If not, we are on the same spot and have rethink options. 

At this point, you could assume it dead, so you should be finding the exact thing that went wrong. Uneven tension is the first obvious one that comes to my mind with a floating IHS and slightly bent PCB. 

I'm with you on your last statement.  Motherboard is fine, CPU was tested in 2 motherboards, 6600k works fine in both as well, IHS was definitely seated properly, I think it's a bent chip.

5 hours ago, done12many2 said:

@trix4rix

Call me crazy, but the corner adjacent the top left notch appears discolored.  Does it look a bit charred in person?  

It does not, it is just a crappy phone camera shot (my LG v20 which boasts about its camera is surprisingly not great)

On a side note to everyone, I was at Fry's this AM and got their very first 7700k sold (I was there 10 mins before opening and was the only one there for that purpose).  While I would really love to fix my 6700k (I actually have a spare z170 MoBo, I could build a whole system out of it) I think it's completely dead.  Thanks all for the help, but I think it's time to call it a loss.

Hey guys, before you help, just understand that I feel bad enough.  I know I'm stupid, and I know I did something I shouldn't have.  Can we keep the "duhh, idiot" stuff to a minimum?   Thanks.

Yesterday after the 7700k embargo lifted and I watched around 1000 videos about it and the new Z270 platform I decided that if I de-lidded my 6700k I could get close to the magic 5ghz.  I had previously tested my 6700k and actually hit 5Ghz at 1.44v, which on my custom (ghetto) loop hit around 80 degrees C, which I thought was too much heat for my liking, so my goal here was to be able to drop temps by several degrees (hopefully close to 10C) by using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra as the TIM between my IHS and CPU.  I successfully removed the IHS without scratching the PCB/CPU, and decided to go ahead and re-apply TIM, and Thermal Adhesive (for the edges).  I had extremely high hopes at this point.  So, here I go, I toss it back into my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 3).  Of course, it didn't boot.  Turned on, lasted maybe 8 seconds, turned off for maybe 4, and recycled that loop forever.  I've removed the IHS again, and noticed that the CPU chip (the whole chip) was kind of bowed down on all 4 sides, so the center where the CPU sits was maybe 1/2 a mm higher than all 4 edges. I did flex it back down as gently as I could (figured I couldn't make it too much worse), but still no dice.  Right now the CPU is sitting in my Motherboard with the IHS resting on top with some Liquid Ultra between the two.

I have swapped ram out, and in every slot, no dice.  I have moved my CPU to my wife's PC (she has a Z170MX Gaming 5 with a 6600k in it), and her CPU to my Motherboard, and her CPU works in my MoBo, and my CPU does not work in her MoBo (same 8 on 4 off cycle).

I need this PC for work, and there's no way I have $350 to drop on a new one.  I've bought a G4400 and dropped it in my wife's PC, but she's upset because she can't render video's for her makeup hobby very fast.  Basically I need help reviving my 6700k.  Any help or assistance will be really appreciated, especially if you leave out the "duhh, idiot" stuff, but even if you don't leave it out, toss me some help please.

Thanks,

Rick

20170103_212457_HDR.jpg

Man, I just can't even imagine this happening to me. Sorry for your loss. Wash it with some alcohol... I honestly don't know what to tell you.

Edit: Sell it on Ebay. Just be vague and don't say anything about its condition except used. Don't offer returns. (this was a joke btw, not being serious)

Edit 2: I guess this shows trix aren't for kids after all.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

80C wouldn't have damaged your silicon, you could have run it at that

Looks like you may have applied too much TIM, and it flowed to the sides. Hopefully by removing and applying less of the stuff you'll get it to boot.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

why would you ever go over 1.4v also that cpus is dead no way to bring that back. luck runs out, you shouldn't do everything you see on the internet.

Just to clarify, this was the stock TIM, before I removed the silicone on the edges too.  This is just after it was separated, I don't have a pic of it with my TIM.

Just now, Orangeator said:

Man, I just can't even imagine this happening to me. Sorry for your loss. Wash it with some alcohol... I honestly don't know what to tell you.

Edit: Sell it on Ebay. Just be vague and don't say anything about its condition except used. Don't offer returns.

You are really sugesting that? What is wrong with you? Thats borderline criminal, unethical at least. Ppl Who do this deserve a bad life.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

You might have done some damage to the traces embedded in the pcb when it bent. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

why would you ever go over 1.4v also that cpus is dead no way to bring that back. luck runs out, you shouldn't do everything you see on the internet.

That's not helpful right now.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Dude, it was at 1.44 6 months ago, I haven't even hit 1.4 since, for most of its life it sat at 1.3v at 4.7GHz, which is a super good OC at a super low voltage.

1 minute ago, trix4rix said:

Dude, it was at 1.44 6 months ago, I haven't even hit 1.4 since, for most of its life it sat at 1.3v at 4.7GHz, which is a super good OC at a super low voltage.

yes but its a good idea to get a stable overclock without turning up the voltage cpus gets binned differently. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

yes but its a good idea to get a stable overclock without turning up the voltage cpus gets binned differently. 

Let me help, the CPU didn't die because I overclocked it, it didn't die because of voltage, it died because I removed the IHS.  I'm trying to get ideas on how to fix it.

Why would you delid a CPU that you needed if you couldn't just afford a replacement if/when you fucked it up?

I mean clean off your TIM application and reapply it to see if you managed to fuck that up but short of that, your CPU is most likely dead.

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

ahhhh LTT. You never fail to amaze me with your utter stupidity. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Let me help, the CPU didn't die because I overclocked it, it didn't die because of voltage, it died because I removed the IHS.  I'm trying to get ideas on how to fix it.

i know what you said i was saying the reason you removed the IHS is to get better temp for overclocking. i am really sorry for your loss but the only thing you can do is get some alcohol clean the cpu and try again.  

1 minute ago, Paradine Sage said:

Why would you delid a CPU that you needed if you couldn't just afford a replacement if/when you fucked it up?

I mean clean off your TIM application and reapply it to see if you managed to fuck that up but short of that, your CPU is most likely dead.

Thanks for the "duhh, idiot" comment.  As for your second line, did you not read any of the comments or my post?  That's Intel's TIM, and I reapplied my own TIM like 3 times trying to make sure that wasn't the issue.

i know what you said i was saying the reason you removed the IHS is to get better temp for overclocking. i am really sorry for your loss but the only thing you can do is get some alcohol clean the cpu and try again.  

CPU has been cleaned 4 times, 4 new applications of TIM on the CPU, that's not the problem.  

CPU has been cleaned 4 times, 4 new applications of TIM on the CPU, that's not the problem.  

How did you delid it? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Thanks for the "duhh, idiot" comment.  As for your second line, did you not read any of the comments or my post?  That's Intel's TIM, and I reapplied my own TIM like 3 times trying to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Take two books and lay the CPU between them. Then lay a bunch more books uptop of the top one. It should straighten it out. 

Hahahahaha.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

How did you delid it? 

I used an exacto knife set.  Both the 90 degree flat, and the 45 degree slanted blades.

luck runs out delidding a cpu is not a good idea, cpus are not designed for that to happen. don't beat yourself up try again after cleaning it with alcohol. this explains why its a bad idea and not worth it 

13 minutes ago, Taja said:

You are really sugesting that? What is wrong with you? Thats borderline criminal, unethical at least. Ppl Who do this deserve a bad life.

This was just a bad joke man, Calm down. Ill tell him to write a smiley behind next time, so everyone gets stuff like that.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

luck runs out delidding a cpu is not a good idea, cpus are not designed for that to happen. don't beat yourself up try again after cleaning it with alcohol. this explains why its a bad idea and not worth it 

I like the underlined DO NOT

Try installing the CPU without the IHS on it. Just add thermal paste and attach the heatsink on top.

Maybe that extra pressure on the center will push it flat so that all pins make proper contact?

That's all I can think of, if that doesn't work then it's dead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Unlucky mate, try making it flat again, the problem might just be the pins on the CPU and mobo aren't making contact as its bent. Hopefully there's no permanent damage, and best of luck in fixing it.

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7-6700K

-GPU- 

Gigabyte RX 5600XT OC 6GB

-STORAGE- 

1x Western Digital 1TB HDD

1x Samsung M.2 1TB SSD

1x Crucial 275GB MX300 SSD

-RAM- 

Team Group 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400mHZ

-PSU- 

Corsair CX-M Series CX650M 

-MOBO- 

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6

-CASE-

Phanteks P400S Satin Black TG Edition

-PERIPHERALS-

Logitech g502 RGB and Blackwidow Elite.

-PART PICKER URL-

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jf9tbj

Have a Nice Day, Give us a Thumbs up if I helped you, Why Not?