[Review] Is this worst RX 480 4GB ever? It is not... sadly

1 minute ago, ShampooCA said:

@deXxterlab97 So I was playing around with my card again, b/c I upgraded my main rig with some AMD Ryzen 1700 goodness, so my HTPC and RX480 got the Z77 ASRock board with an i7-3770.

I was playing around with voltages, and came to discover this card does NOT respond to raised voltages, rather it loves lower voltages.  Try decreasing voltages from stock by 5-10 mV at a time.  I have mine set to -6mV in Afterburner, and man the thing is much more stable at 1350MHz now.  This card doesn't stop giving and surprising!  What was supposed to be a cheap toss out card ended up being a "performer" in the RX480 world.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Well good. I am getting an AIO soon for this. For some reason it has to maintain a 95% ish fan speed while keeping temps under 80 ish degree while playing Tomb Raider

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Well good. I am getting an AIO soon for this. For some reason it has to maintain a 95% ish fan speed while keeping temps under 80 ish degree while playing Tomb Raider

@deXxterlab97 What the eff.  Sounds like a dud to me.  RMA?  My temperatures are stupid low now, rivaling my Asus GTX1070 card with its ROG/Strix cooler.  Power draw very low as well.  I would RMA before spending money on an AIO only because of the variation between your card and my card.  Even in different cases, that kinda variation in temperatures?  No way.

Just now, ShampooCA said:

@deXxterlab97 What the eff.  Sounds like a dud to me.  RMA?  My temperatures are stupid low now, rivaling my Asus GTX1070 card with its ROG/Strix cooler.  Power draw very low as well.  I would RMA before spending money on an AIO only because of the variation between your card and my card.  Even in different cases, that kinda variation in temperatures?  No way.

Yeah no luck contacting Power Color. And well Newegg won't accept as I don't have original packaging. But whatever.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah no luck contacting Power Color. And well Newegg won't accept as I don't have original packaging. But whatever.

@deXxterlab97 If you want I'll ship you my box.

@deXxterlab97 Wait you're in Toronto, I'm in Toronto, I can give you my box.  I'm at Sheppard station Mon-Fri for work 9-5. Let me know.

@deXxterlab97 If you want I'll ship you my box.

Thank you but it's outside of return period sadly. 

WTF that's terrible on PowerColor's part.  Damn.  Sorry to hear.  At least it's working right?  

WTF that's terrible on PowerColor's part.  Damn.  Sorry to hear.  At least it's working right?  

yeah. at least that works. well I will bombard them with loads of emails and pray for luck lol

yeah. at least that works. well I will bombard them with loads of emails and pray for luck lol

Don't forget the power of social media.  Twitter has helped me on numerous occasions from furniture to electronics to general service & issues around the city.

Don't forget the power of social media.  Twitter has helped me on numerous occasions from furniture to electronics to general service & issues around the city.

Yeah. The funniest part is. If you switch to Canada on their site it's in French because that's what the language of the majority of Canadian speaking

11 hours ago, ShampooCA said:

I was playing around with voltages, and came to discover this card does NOT respond to raised voltages, rather it loves lower voltages.  Try decreasing voltages from stock by 5-10 mV at a time.  I have mine set to -6mV in Afterburner, and man the thing is much more stable at 1350MHz now.  This card doesn't stop giving and surprising!  What was supposed to be a cheap toss out card ended up being a "performer" in the RX480 world.

My findings have been entirely opposite. My card can only do 1450MHz if I shove 1.35V down it. What I think is probably happening on your side is that Polaris and any chip made on Samsung/GloFo's 16nm process is very sensitive to temperature. My 1450MHz overclock was stable at 70C, but not at 76C.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 4/14/2017 at 0:33 PM, Energycore said:

My findings have been entirely opposite. My card can only do 1450MHz if I shove 1.35V down it. What I think is probably happening on your side is that Polaris and any chip made on Samsung/GloFo's 16nm process is very sensitive to temperature. My 1450MHz overclock was stable at 70C, but not at 76C.

Yeah it's really counter intuitive and strange.  The temps don't go much higher than 70 on my card, and with the way it is now it's usually under 70.  Your Powercolor el-cheapo hits 1450?????  Wow.

7 hours ago, ShampooCA said:

Yeah it's really counter intuitive and strange.  The temps don't go much higher than 70 on my card, and with the way it is now it's usually under 70.  Your Powercolor el-cheapo hits 1450?????  Wow.

It's an MSI Gaming X 8G :P

Do note that it's actually not an amazing piece of silicon. On the stock BIOS it only does 1350. But with an RX 580 BIOS I bet it will do 1400-1420 easily :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Why is this thread so popular?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Why is this thread so popular?

Because I made it

Because I made it

I kind of figured that was the case.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Popular b/c budget performance is a hot topic always.

Fast and powerful stuff is fast and powerful, we know this, so I don't find it as "fun" when it comes to tinkering with it.

Edit: Making cheap stuff fairly fast and powerful bridging the gap between it and the good stuff is more entertaining. 

10 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I kind of figured that was the case.

I still post in this topic a lot because I gave it a follow back when dexter was doing a very bad job undervolting his card. But now it's become a bit of a "post how you OC'd your 480" club.

That said when I flash a 580 BIOS on my 480 I will make a separate thread.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Didn't someone take a shot of the PCB in high detail?

Or maybe not, can't find the image.

Wanted to see if buildzoid would do a brief analysis of our el-cheapo cards to see if it would be OK flashing with the 580 bios or if the card would meltdown b/c of the increase in voltage.

Also 4GB cards.  

Didn't someone take a shot of the PCB in high detail?

Or maybe not, can't find the image.

Wanted to see if buildzoid would do a brief analysis of our el-cheapo cards to see if it would be OK flashing with the 580 bios or if the card would meltdown b/c of the increase in voltage.

Also 4GB cards.  

Bro you got ninja'd

TL;DR don't flash a 580 BIOS if you have a crappy PCB / Cooling

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I still post in this topic a lot because I gave it a follow back when dexter

deXxter. 

Just now, Energycore said:

Bro you got ninja'd

TL;DR don't flash a 580 BIOS if you have a crappy PCB / Cooling

Yeah I saw some of this earlier and his post in one of the forums, and this is exactly what I was thinking when that TONY guy did the first flash.

That's why I want him to do an analysis of this card.  It's budget, but it could have a decent PCB and VRM setup.

I think I've got a decent chip considering I can do 1350/2250 completely stable, and not much wavering of the clock with a -6mV undervolt.  I tried with -10mV before too and it was fine, but didn't do much testing, temps are great, power usage is low, so leaving it there for now.

• 1 month later...

@deXxterlab97 

So 2250MHz on the VRAM wasn't as stable as I'd initially thought.  Random lockups during games & while browsing, I couldn't figure it out.  Thought it was my aging system, but remembered some people saying they could only get their VRAM up between 2000-2200, so I dropped it down to 2200MHz, and all is well!

Hours of The Witcher 3 and no problems, when before I could only go for a little while before a lockup.

I'm gonna try for 1400Mhz now with no increase in voltages in Afterburner.  Without touching that, not sure if it's left on "auto" or if it stays at stock voltages.  Temps remain in and around 65 degrees while gaming & benchmarking so I'm not worried about too much voltage ramping up.  Power usage is really low as well, below 100watts.

Anyone else experience everything before Windows loads, showing up green?  So sometimes during a cold boot, but usually on a restart, everything is green, even in the BIOS.  So weird.  I thought something was damaged, but no problems, just green sometimes.  I'm using this card via HDMI to a receiver then to my TV.

I thought it was a bad cable, and switched it out, but same thing.

Again, no problems, just green.  Had this over at my desk on a BenQ XL2730Z via DP, and it was fine though. 

How's everyone's cards holding up?

On 1/4/2017 at 4:18 PM, deXxterlab97 said:

A display with digital port is required (HDMI or DisplayPort)? Bitch please. DVI here. See, they are lying. LYING...

You do know that DVI stands for DIGITAL Video Interface, yeah?