Wifi Adapter + Graphics Card Compatibility Issue

Hi there,

This is my first post after months of being a big fan of Linus' channel on YouTube. Hi guys :)

Anyways right to it I suppose. I recently moved in with my girlfriend and our new apartment setup isn't ideal for me to run a super extensive ethernet cable through for my desktop. So, I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-PCI-Express-Archer-T6E/dp/B016K0896K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1483543428&sr=8-9&keywords=tp+link+wifi+adapter

The only problem was that this adapter's slot (PCI-E) was right next to the Express x16 slot for my massive 2GB ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card on my Gigabyte GA-76LMT-USB3 6.0 motherboard. In short: the Wifi Adapter and my Graphics card can't be on the motherboard at the same time. To "solve" this, I purchased this to allow my GPU to hang further from my mobo so that everything would fit together:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CEIEWU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically the reason for this post is that I'm tired of having my desktop look jenky with the graphics card hanging off the side of it. Open to suggestions and hopefully it won't require me having to get a new motherboard. 

Thanks in advance,

KnightFire

IDK why you bought that adapter, that's gives you an additional M.2 slot instead of a PCIe slot, it doesn't help you for either device you own. If you return your wifi card and buy one that is M.2, then it would help.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

5 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

Hi there,

This is my first post after months of being a big fan of Linus' channel on YouTube. Hi guys :)

Anyways right to it I suppose. I recently moved in with my girlfriend and our new apartment setup isn't ideal for me to run a super extensive ethernet cable through for my desktop. So, I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-PCI-Express-Archer-T6E/dp/B016K0896K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1483543428&sr=8-9&keywords=tp+link+wifi+adapter

The only problem was that this adapter's slot (PCI-E) was right next to the Express x16 slot for my massive 2GB ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 graphics card on my Gigabyte GA-76LMT-USB3 6.0 motherboard. In short: the Wifi Adapter and my Graphics card can't be on the motherboard at the same time. To "solve" this, I purchased this to allow my GPU to hang further from my mobo so that everything would fit together:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CEIEWU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basically the reason for this post is that I'm tired of having my desktop look jenky with the graphics card hanging off the side of it. Open to suggestions and hopefully it won't require me having to get a new motherboard. 

Thanks in advance,

KnightFire

pictures?>

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Or you could do what I'm doing right now. I'm living with my in-laws atm and instead of running ethernet across the house to my computer I set up my wifi router to act as a bridge and plugged into that.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

May have to do what I did and just get some long ethernet cables and be as tidy as possible when running them. My mb is an itx with built in wifi adapter, but my speed was ass compared to GF. Now both computers are hardwired. 

2 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

IDK why you bought that adapter, that's gives you an additional M.2 slot instead of a PCIe slot, it doesn't help you for either device you own. If you return your wifi card and buy one that is M.2, then it would help.

Whoops. Looks like that link is outdated. I assure you it was a "PCI Express 16x Flexible Cable Card Extension Port Adapter High Speed Riser Card-25cm". 

2 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

pictures?>

I can take some when I get home! 

2 hours ago, Elerek said:

why not use a usb wifi card instead?

I tried a USB Wifi card before this and it felt lackluster compared to the PCI-E one. If you have a USB Wifi card that you'd highly recommend though I'll definitely take a look.

2 hours ago, Elerek said:

Or you could do what I'm doing right now. I'm living with my in-laws atm and instead of running ethernet across the house to my computer I set up my wifi router to act as a bridge and plugged into that.

Does that decrease your latency/improve your connection? This seems very intriguing and wouldn't be very hard to setup as I do have an old Netgear router that's just sitting in my closet. 

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

May have to do what I did and just get some long ethernet cables and be as tidy as possible when running them. My mb is an itx with built in wifi adapter, but my speed was ass compared to GF. Now both computers are hardwired. 

Haha, I would love to do that but I'd really like to avoid it if possible. 

Thanks for the quick responses guys. 

9 minutes ago, KnightFire said:

Does that decrease your latency/improve your connection? This seems very intriguing and wouldn't be very hard to setup as I do have an old Netgear router that's just sitting in my closet.  

Seems fine, I haven't done any connection tests/comparisons, but it's been super stable for me so far. It doesn't add any noticeable latency (I have the same ping in all my games as when I was hardlined in my own place across town) and hasn't bottlenecked me, I'm still capped by the internet connection speed and not the bridged network.

edit: I don't remember the model of my router, I'll have to look when I get home. It's a netgear ac router I bought new about 3~4 years ago. The other end (my in-law's router) is an apple airport router :P (also ac)

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D