Should I Replace My Intel Stock Cooler?

Although I have a 6500 which has no thermal problem at all, the stock cooler is still noticeably noisy at idle even when I set the fan speed to "silent" in bios(about 1600rpm). I have an itx case so I would need a low profile cooler. Are those aftermarket coolers quiet enough for me to upgrade? What about future compatibility? For example, if I want to change my cpu to Zen, will the cooler I buy now still work?

Most coolers are cross platform with supported brackets to work with AMD and Intel--reputable manufacturers even send new mounting hardware for free if a new socket comes out like Noctua. 

What case you currently have?

Edit: I wouldn't plan too much for Zen since judging AMD's history, the itx stuff will most likely be budget APUs again. 

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Most coolers are cross platform with supported brackets to work with AMD and Intel--reputable manufacturers even send new mounting hardware for free if a new socket comes out like Noctua. 

What case you currently have?

Edit: I wouldn't plan too much for Zen since judging AMD's history, the itx stuff will most likely be budget APUs again. 

I have node 202. I am considering Noctua NH-L9I. Is that as quiet as it advertised?

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

just get a 212 evo its great and you can pick one up for cheap. 

That won't fit my case though.

3 minutes ago, eric5143 said:

I have node 202. I am considering Noctua NH-L9I. Is that as quiet as it advertised?

I don't have experience with that cooler personality, but I did use a mini Noctua cooler in an old matx build and even with 2 92mm fans going 100%, could bearly hear the thing.