i3-6100 with a Z170-K?

58 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Wait for the first k ever i3 processor coming with Kaby Lake

I'd rather get an i5 6400 than that unlocked i3 kabylake.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

22 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

No, just to use it  to learn overclocking and and get started giving purpose to the z170/270 motherboard where he can after saving some money buy the higher end CPU like the i7 7700k when the price gives some drop or find good used deal, My advise lays in the possibility of giving the motherboard some reason were him to insist in it, in the way I see it was still a helpful commentary.
If it was I personally I would go with h110m-c and i5 6500. Or Kaby Lake's equivalent.

I like your H110M and i5-6500/7500 idea, and I really do think that's the sweet spot setup. I'm not such a fan of the "learn overclocking" idea. That logic was awesome when we had a G3258 to stretch to its limits then replace with a 4690K/4790K, because the G3258 was a $60 CPU. The Kaby Lake i3-K will be around $180. I could go out and buy an i5-6500 for close to that, definitely get an i5-6400 at that price. The whole "learn to overclock on a cheap CPU" idea goes out the window too, when you consider that instead of spending $60 on a CPU that's a path to a $250 CPU, you're spending $180 on that same stepping stone.

I just don't see the i3-K having the same use cases as the G3258. If it cost $30-40 less and was multiplier unlocked on H and B boards (at least H), then I could see the justification easily for getting an uber-powerful i3 and a dirt cheap board. Intel's not going to let that happen for the same reason they tried to block it on the G3258: they don't want an i3 undercutting the sales of their higher end chips. The way the i3-K is set up, it's really designed for people that really want an overclockable i3.

Never mind that you can achieve the same effect with a $100 i3-6100 by using a Z-board with BCLK unlocked.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

19 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

-snip-

I have not played with overclocking since my Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 which I pushed to 3,4ghz from its original 2,9ghz and only done so because back then any mobo would do it and  the "free performance gain" true, however I have, with the help of people from here, come to the realization that overclocking the i5 will give you costs and variables that does not justify it, while I personally feel the i3 could only justify by "learning it" which you have showed me it is not a great idea at all either, I will adress about it later.

The whole overclocking process to me should be like nVidia is trying to show with SLI right now, only worth it in the highest end where it is the only way to go further, overclocking should be a thing for the i7's only, in my opinion, having a best performance - cost possible into full count. A locked i5 CPU is capable of most gaming and even decent work loads.

My mistake in thinking about the i3 is that I'm not updated on this area at all as I honestly upgraded from that core 2 duo to my current setup in signature, very big jump and after using my PC for the past 3 weeks I have been now certain that a high end gaming orientated PC is fine enough with the locked i7 when you want to achieve it making your money count, I will likely rebuild only in 2020/2021 and probably do the same, go with a cheap but reliable Asus motherboard for the current last gen intel locked i7 socket and the highest no OC memory frequency supported.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)