Is it worth it to upgrade my CPU?

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

yes its worth it, i wouldent upgrade to newer then that because you get to keep your RAM

I am wondering if upgrading from a FX 8350 to an i7 4770k or 4790k is worth it.

Should I just "wait for Ryzen" as many people have said, or go with it, and get all the advantages of the Intel platform.

Thanks in advance.

-Alec 

Just now, Alec M said:

Should I just "wait for Ryzen" as many people have said, or go with it, and get all the advantages of the Intel platform.

Thanks in advance.

-Alec 

Its release is supposed to happen this quarter so Id say wait for Ryzen.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

For now you might as well "wait for Ryzen", just to see what sort of price points and performance gulfs show up once everything is fully released. 

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

It's worth it, at least to the 4790k, there's less of a gap for the 4770k so that's down to your own opinion and I wouldn't see that as worth it at least.

Myanimelist | F@H stats |

Spoiler

| CPU: I7-4790k OC'D to 4.5Ghz | GPU: GTX 970 | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2 x 8 GBS (stock 2133Mhz) OC'd | Case : NZXT Phantom 410 | Displays: Asus VG248QE 24" & VE228TR 21.5" | PSU: Corsair CP-9020077-UK 650W | CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H55 | Storage: ? Kingston 240 GB SSD + WD Blue 1TB  | Keyboard: Logitech 213 Prodigy | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Headphones: Sennheiser hd380 pro | Mic: MXL 550 | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

3 minutes ago, Alec M said:

Thanks in advance.

-Alec 

personally i would wait for ryzen because it is so close and there really is nothing to lose by waiting but you will see a significant improvement if you choose to go with a 4th gen i7. i know i currently have the same cpu and am waiting to see what ryzen has to offer before making my decision.

yes its worth it, i wouldent upgrade to newer then that because you get to keep your RAM

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, Faster_Speeding said:

It's worth it, at least to the 4790k, there's less of a gap for the 4770k so that's down to your own opinion and I wouldn't see that as worth it at least.

I was looking at userbenchmark, and the 4770k was way above the 8350.

CPUBoss shows the same thing in the benchmarks section.

1 minute ago, Alec M said:

I was looking at userbenchmark, and the 4770k was way above the 8350.

CPUBoss shows the same thing in the benchmarks section.

that's because it is. its single threaded performance is way better and it has 8 logical cores making it really good in multi threaded workloads too. 

Even if you go 4th gen, waiting for Ryzen may allow for 4th gen prices to drop.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430