FX-9370 vs i5-3550

Hi, is it worth me upgrading froma  FX-9370 to an i5-3550? I have a 980Ti and 32GB DDR3. I can get it for £50.

Thanks

That i5 isn't really an upgrade from a 9370. I'd wait until you have money for a Skylake i5 or i7.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

That i5 isn't really an upgrade from a 9370. I'd wait until you have money for a Skylake i5 or i7.

But then I can't reuse my ram. Sigh.

That's a shit processor, and that i5 will be a big upgrade in performance however, like @Kobathor said you should wait.

Just now, Jed M said:

That's a shit processor, and that i5 will be a big upgrade in performance however, like @Kobathor said you should wait.

Ty, but should I get an older platform to reuse my 32GB?

3 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Ty, but should I get an older platform to reuse my 32GB?

If you want to reuse your RAM, I'd go Haswell. And Jed M isn't right, the 3550 isn't "a big upgrade in performance.." it would really be a sidegrade at best. Haswell to keep your RAM. I'd go for the higher-end K skus though, IE i5-4690k/i7-4790k.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

If you want to reuse your RAM, I'd go Haswell. And Jed M isn't right, the 3550 isn't "a big upgrade in performance.." it would really be a sidegrade at best. Haswell to keep your RAM. I'd go for the higher-end K skus though, IE i5-4690k/i7-4790k.

Time to save up :D

Just now, InsertName said:

Time to save up :D

Yep! You'll see big performance boosts in some games with the 980ti.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're getting Haswell and an i7, I might suggest going all the way to an i7-5775C if it's not out of your budget range.

Yeah, if I am doing it I'll do it right

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I'd go for the higher-end K skus though, IE i5-4690k/i7-4790k.

This ^  I went from an 8350 to I5-4590 and saw maybe 1-2 fps on very single-threaded games. although that change wasn't for performance gains.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're getting Haswell and an i7, I might suggest going all the way to an i7-5775C if it's not out of your budget range.

Oooh that's a nice chip, best igpu available to date. It's just a shame that I can almost guarantee you won't find it on his price range: 1150 broadwells are flatout rare today.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Oooh that's a nice chip, best igpu available to date. It's just a shame that I can almost guarantee you won't find it on his price range: 1150 broadwells are flatout rare today.

Yeah. CEX have none, onwards to ebay!

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

£400. Nope.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I found it on Amazon for $360 with Prime shipping.

Yeah, I am planning to buy used. I don't want to spend more than £200ish for CPU+MOBO, but I can stretch.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Buying it used may pose a risk, as the i7-5775Cs were overclockers. So you better grill the seller on how it was used.

I can't find those used xD

So I guess I am going for a i5-4690k

11 minutes ago, InsertName said:

Yeah, I am planning to buy used. I don't want to spend more than £200ish for CPU+MOBO, but I can stretch.

Check out a Xeon E3 1231 v3. It's a haswell xeon at 3.4ghz (3.8ghz turbo so almost a 4770) but with hyperthreading, 247 bucks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Processor-E3-1231-Cache-Socket/dp/B00K64I0S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483378876&sr=8-1&keywords=Xeon+Processor+E3-1231

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Kobathor said:

And Jed M isn't right, the 3550 isn't "a big upgrade in performance.."

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3550-vs-AMD-FX-9370

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/370/AMD_FX-Series_FX-9370_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-3550.html

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3550-vs-AMD-FX-9370/m846vs2005

http://hwbench.com/cpus/amd-fx-9370-vs-intel-core-i5-3550

It's clearly better than the Skylake to Kabylake upgrade, plus the Passmark single thread rating is around 3k difference which can mean a lot.

5 hours ago, InsertName said:

Yeah, if I am doing it I'll do it right

I'd probably stick to the 4790K. Much higher clock speeds stock (turbo 3.7 GHz on the 5775C vs 4.4 GHz on the 4790K). The clock speed advantage should overtake any architecture gains. Cheaper. In addition, the iGPU will probably go unused as it is about on par with a GTX 750.

Though, it isn't something many people will have, so could grab it just for that novelty if you want. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, Jed M said:

cpuboss is BS, cpuworld has no real info, userbenchmark isn't reliable, hwbench has a tiny suite of benchmarks (so no real info.) Good job on googling the sites though. CPUboss even recommends the 9370 over the i5. Really?

anandtech and other sites that benchmark regularly in a professional way are the people I trust. In real games, it's more of a sidegrade to a locked i5 from a 9370. Benchmarks? Who cares? 

Ivy Bridge is an old(ish) platform that just doesn't have the features Haswell and Skylake have. i7-3770k's will be good for quite a while, but I wouldn't upgrade to Ivy Bridge from anything else.

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'd probably stick to the 4790K. Much higher clock speeds stock (turbo 3.7 GHz on the 5775C vs 4.4 GHz on the 4790K). The clock speed advantage should overtake any architecture gains. Cheaper. In addition, the iGPU will probably go unused as it is about on par with a GTX 750.

Though, it isn't something many people will have, so could grab it just for that novelty if you want. 

I'm not sure, it would cost so much that I may just go with a 6700k and some new ram. My uncle is currently on a 6700k, and he is going for kabylake or zen, so I may get a hand me down there anyway.