so no more old school gaming ?

loony979

Please login with administrator privileges and try again (Windows 10)

Comes up now ,when trying to play games . ive tried many things on the net .

Except creating a new Win-account ,i only wish to have 1 account  that's it then done .

Im starting to think Microsoft wants entire control of us .No gaming and all passwords for them.

Sorry im feeling a little stressed out i wanted to play my old NFS game i have a stack of games sitting here i want to install but

not till i get this fixed. Yet another thing to do when installing windows after a fresh formatt .

If i can not get a fix for this ill revert back to windows 7 . I didn't pay for these games to

have in my face Sorry but um no we don't like that game it's old.

Thanks in advance. For any advice .Have in mind i have tried a fair few things ,i may say yes tried this and that. But Fire away . Thumbs Up.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

Isn't the original need for speed a dos game? Try run on a dos emulator?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

NSF underground original box 2 disk set.

Run as Admin tried it.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

26 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Please login with administrator privileges and try again (Windows 10)

Comes up now ,when trying to play games . ive tried many things on the net .

Except creating a new Win-account ,i only wish to have 1 account  that's it then done .

Im starting to think Microsoft wants entire control of us .No gaming and all passwords for them.

Sorry im feeling a little stressed out i wanted to play my old NFS game i have a stack of games sitting here i want to install but

not till i get this fixed. Yet another thing to do when installing windows after a fresh formatt .

If i can not get a fix for this ill revert back to windows 7 . I didn't pay for these games to

have in my face Sorry but um no we don't like that game it's old.

Thanks in advance. For any advice .Have in mind i have tried a fair few things ,i may say yes tried this and that. But Fire away . Thumbs Up.

You are running a game that wants to modify files where it can't. A common problem with old programs and games, is that they assume everyone is administrator, and also many of them don't follow Microsoft Windows documentation in developing a software. So you have this mess.

Since Vista, no is true administrator. Microsoft FINALLY joined the model of MacOS, Linux, and Unix operating systems, where no one is true admin. This is a basic security system, which creates this last level of defense. If you open an image file, or document or whatever, and it asks admin privileges. Then there you go.. why would such a file need to modify system level files? It should not. Clearly a virus right there. So you can click on "No" not giving it access in the User Account Control dialog, and Windows will kill the program avoiding any infections to take place.

If your game / software was following Windows documentation since day 1, you would not have this problem.

So you have 3 solutions:

1. Right-click on the game and select "Run as Administrator"
  2. Don't install these legacy games in Program Files (including Program Files (x86)), install them in a new directory that you create in C:\ or even better, another drive.
  3. Change the folder permission where the game / program is install, in such a way that everyone has full control/access where the game/program is. This will allow this legacy game/program to write where it is located, which is usually the case with these legacy games/programs, and all it takes to run fine.

Ok ill try this that's makes perfect sense ,P.S. i do all my game installs in D: drive, even steam.

1st sleep then in the morning ill give this a go. :)

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So you have 3 solutions:

1. Right-click on the game and select "Run as Administrator"
  2. Don't install these legacy games in Program Files (including Program Files (x86)), install them in a new directory that you create in C:\ or even better, another drive.
  3. Change the folder permission where the game / program is install, in such a way that everyone has full control/access where the game/program is. This will allow this legacy game/program to write where it is located, which is usually the case with these legacy games/programs, and all it takes to run fine.

Ok my game is installed in D: drive

i still can not change permissions .

1 hour ago, loony979 said:

The game should have permission, unless you have done something, or you have or Windows has detected from its database, that in order to run the game properly based on testing, it needs to run under Windows 95/98/Me (I think XP as well) compatibility mode, which means it needs Administrator as well.

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The game should have permission, unless you have done something, or you have or Windows has detected from its database, that in order to run the game properly based on testing, it needs to run under Windows 95/98/Me (I think XP as well) compatibility mode, which means it needs Administrator as well.

I think i may need a step by step, im still having issues as i have done all this.

Sorry for the inconvenience .I just feel robbed that's all.

21 hours ago, loony979 said:

Right click on the game folder, select Properties, go to the "Security" tab, and click on "Users". If they do not have "Full control" checked, you need to add it by clicking on the "Edit" button, then click on "Users", the check the "Full control" checkbox.

If "Users" is not available:

• Click the "Edit" button anyway
  • Click the "Add..." button
  • Type in "Users" in the "Enter the object names to select" text box
  • Click the "Check Names" button (make sure the text box changes)
  • Click "OK"

On 1/2/2017 at 4:50 AM, GoodBytes said:

-Snip-

I want to give you more thumbs up because I think you're the first person I've seen in a long time that understands this.

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Right click on the game folder, select Properties, go to the "Security" tab, and click on "Users". If they do not have "Full control" checked, you need to add it by clicking on the "Edit" button, then click on "Users", the check the "Full control" checkbox.

If "Users" is not available:

• Click the "Edit" button anyway
  • Click the "Add..." button
  • Type in "Users" in the "Enter the object names to select" text box
  • Click the "Check Names" button (make sure the text box changes)
  • Click "OK"

I want to give you more thumbs up because I think you're the first person I've seen in a long time that understands this.

Ok so still the same tho i can never select 'special permission' check box

21 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That doesn't need to be checked.

And by "still the same" the game still doesn't want to run?

Yeah no luck. Im installing more and more games ,quake 1 2 3 all work. just that pesky security thing some games have on there disks.

If the game uses DRM (like *shudder* StarForce) and was released around 2003-2008, you can probably forget about running it because those things break security in so many ways that Windows past Vista will have none of it.

At this point if you really want to play old school games, you should build a separate PC for it and install Windows XP or Windows 98 SE. Just don't connect it to the internet.

Actually, you reminded me.

SecuROM and SecuDISC (develop by Sony) does not work in Windows 10.

These DRM were acting as a rootkit and was opening security holes, and affecting the user experience of the system. In addition, the driver were never updated since ages.

Microsoft decided that user system security and experience is more important than a few set of old games.

If your game falls on that, all hope is not lost just yet. You can see if GOG.com has this old game. GOG (or Good Old Games), is a sister company of CDProjekt, the creator of The Witcher series, which are active anti-DRM group. They work hard to get old games working on modern systems (they guarantee it, or your money back) with the same identical experience as the game was supposed to be played. Every game in the store is completely DRM free. How they are doing it? They hunt the original developers of old games and deals with the publisher mess to make it all happen. Ways they get old games working again are usually patched games in some way, or use DOSBox configured for the game specifically (perhaps even modify DOSBox code), and modified to act as a packaged solution when you run the game (so you don't notice a thing) to acheive identical experience.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Thank you Both for this .ill look into that site im sure they may have the 3 - 5 games im after .

This info has made sence to me and i appreciate it a lot . You guys Rock. ill get to to yas.

Thanks for going the extra mile for me ay.

1 hour ago, loony979 said:

Thank you Both for this .ill look into that site im sure they may have the 3 - 5 games im after .

This info has made sence to me and i appreciate it a lot . You guys Rock. ill get to to yas.

hate to say this Need For Speed isnt found in GOG.com

I also encounter this error on my PC as well and tried all things from google and gave up and just converted my other HTPC to be Windows XP

You could try running a Windows XP VM within Windows 10

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

6 hours ago, loony979 said:

Glad we could help. Yes. GOG has no Need For Speed games at the moment. I just checked.

It is in high demand in the GOG's users wish list (https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/need_for_speed_12345), so it is a question of time before they arrive. I mean they need to deal with EA and all that, so all this takes time, not to mention patching the game, testing, ensure exact same experience as intended by developers and all that.