[Rumor] Zen Can OC To 5GHz on Air

patrickjp93
4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-processors-reach-5-ghz-on-air,2.html

Nothing else really to say. If this is true (which buildzoid claims is unlikely), it will likely be NH-D15 territory only and very rarely.

Reveal hidden contents

"I'll just use this comment to say this since it's relevant to me.

I don't have a Zen but I know people who do.

I continue to stand by my comment about 5G not happening on air without too much voltage. This doesn't disprove the statement of ZenOC@Air=5G however I wouldn't get your hopes up because we don't know how many cores or volts actually managed that clock. (my sources never gave me absolute max clock just that it does about X.X for daily use)

For all those wondering about X.X. Well lets just say that I am pleased with 

X.X."

the most important things has yet to be answerered and i see no one talking about it, maybe you know

what is the max temps allowed by zen silicon? if its the same shit as faildozer and phenoms at @62C Zen is fucked, i know how much trouble that gave me with my overheatin phenom in the summer even on a mild 3.8ghz, and it was the main reason i switched to i5 4570 instead of bullshitdozer, i sure hope for its own good it can do 90C + like intels and like everyother GPU and high quality silicon, that 62C is too fucking close to room temps in summer, doesnt leave much for the Delta,hence little to 0 OC or even underclockin if you use something like intense constant video processing @ 16Threads @100% it cant sit under 60's not a chance in hell, even at stock

If Zen actually hits 5GHz I'll eat my 5960x with Eggs and some Hot Sauce for Breakfast.

Quote me. :P

There is just no way IMO.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, deviant88 said:

the most important things has yet to be answerered and i see no one talking about it, maybe you know

what is the max temps allowed by zen silicon? if its the same shit as faildozer and phenoms at @62C Zen is fucked, i know how much trouble that gave me with my overheatin phenom in the summer even on a mild 3.8ghz, and it was the main reason i switched to i5 4570 instead of bullshitdozer, i sure hope for its own good it can do 90C + like intels and like everyother GPU and high quality silicon, that 62C is too fucking close to room temps in summer, doesnt leave much for the Delta,hence little to 0 OC or even underclockin if you use something like intense constant video processing @ 16Threads @100% it cant sit under 60's not a chance in hell, even at stock

Bulldozer and Vishera can go into the 90s just fine.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 minute ago, Vode said:

If Zen actually hits 5GHz I'll eat my 5960x with Eggs and some Hot Sauce for Breakfast.

Quote me. :P

There is just no way IMO.

You should have qualified that with "on air" b/c now when the LN2 guys do it, I still have this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I hope this is true.

BUT we already got confirmation that the top end Zen model (8 core-16 thread) will have a base clock of 3.4Ghz with still undecided boost clocks.

If they can crank up to 5Ghz on air wouldn't it make sense for AMD to up their stock base clock to around 4GHz? That combined with the strong IPC of zen would make the product a winner...

is there a reason why AMD would leave 1.6GHz of OC headroom? Power consumption concerns?

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

What, actual intelligent conversations are weird on LTT threads?

Oh...

We went from AMD to Intel to blowing your horn in LGBT thread to LoTR memes. Now we only need fake Rick Astley links and Giorgio Tsoukalos to tell us about aliens and we have everything. 

You may insert Terry Crews because why not. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

You should have qualified that with "on air" b/c now when the LN2 guys do it, I still have this.

Damn, you're right. *on air

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I hope this is true.

BUT we already got confirmation that the top end Zen model (8 core-16 thread) will have a base clock of 3.4Ghz with still undecided boost clocks.

If they can crank up to 5Ghz on air wouldn't it make sense for AMD to up their stock base clock to around 4GHz? That combined with the strong IPC of zen would make the product a winner...

is there a reason why AMD would leave 1.6GHz of OC headroom? Power consumption concerns?

Tuning of GloFo's process could be another, but I'm in the heavy doubters camp.

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

We went from AMD to Intel to blowing your horn in LGBT thread to LoTR memes. Now we only need fake Rick Astley links and Giorgio Tsoukalos to tell us about aliens and we have everything. 

You may insert Terry Crews because why not. 

7241442bebcc38715d7d43cfc4183342791f361028812ffc57d34db8c80232d4.jpg

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's weird. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

53 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Piledriver was a very loose-time (low IPC) architecture on a very leaky/power-inefficient node(32nm SOI bulk planar). Intel's own Sandy Bridge processors can reach 5+ with a fair amount of frequency. As timings get tighter for higher IPC, higher clocks become more and more difficult (the actual circuits on the CPU fire much faster than the CPU's actual shown clock speed), and FinFET also hampered Intel's upper clock speed ceilings. To expect it to not have a similar effect on AMD is a bit ridiculous imho.

I'm fully aware how the CPU works, I had to spend a month learning and then realised it had nothing to do with what I wanted to do. Obviously as we shrink the accuracy of the cuts and circuits, it will get harder to overclock but average clocks and yields get better as we're able to make them better, I'm sure if either one of the companies really wanted they'd be able to make a massively power architecture that has very high speeds and IPCs, but they wouldn't make any money on it from the massive cost and they'd probably price it well over say, Intel top of the range CPU E7-8890 v4 at $7174.00 for just one. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I'm fully aware how the CPU works, I had to spend a month learning and then realised it had nothing to do with what I wanted to do. Obviously as we shrink the accuracy of the cuts and circuits, it will get harder to overclock but average clocks and yields get better as we're able to make them better, I'm sure if either one of the companies really wanted they'd be able to make a massively power architecture that has very high speeds and IPCs, but they wouldn't make any money on it from the massive cost and they'd probably price it well over say, Intel top of the range CPU E7-8890 v4 at $7174.00 for just one. 

Cough *IBM Power8* Cough

Also, the 8890A is 200MHz faster and is $7600.

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Cough *IBM Power8* Cough

Also, the 8890A is 200MHz faster and is $7600.

IBM's power8 is pretty shit being RISC. Intel's E7 8890 V4 in a server with 8 CPUs is basically 24*8*2 for logical processors, of glorious Intel architecture, with in the region of like 24 TB of RAM on some supported systems. I didn't find any mention of an 8890A, so either that's something else or there's missing info.

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

IBM's power8 is pretty shit being RISC. Intel's E7 8890 V4 in a server with 8 CPUs is basically 24*8*2 for logical processors, of glorious Intel architecture, with in the region of like 24 TB of RAM on some supported systems. I didn't find any mention of an 8890A, so either that's something else or there's missing info.

Uh, not in some cases. The SAP benchmarks are the big place IBM wins hands down. The many threads per core, with high clock speed, and fewer cores has actually produced a superior analytics architecture, particularly because of the reduced overhead for cache coherency.

Sorry, was thinking of the 2699A. MY mistake.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Uh, not in some cases. The SAP benchmarks are the big place IBM wins hands down. The many threads per core, with high clock speed, and fewer cores has actually produced a superior analytics architecture, particularly because of the reduced overhead for cache coherency.

Sorry, was thinking of the 2699. MY mistake.

Oh I thought you meant one of the Power PC ones. Thing is broadwelL EP is clock for clock more powerful then Power8, and a lot more diverse and useful, I use two ancient Xeon X5670's for ESXi and, I don't think there is a cheaper was to virtualise so many VMs as I do, and you just can't do that on Power8, in enterprise terms it blows, and when compared to super computer uses, it still gets destroyed by the vastly more powerful X86_64 nature, especially when you've got a couple million logical processors anyways.

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Yes I blow my own horn from time to time

That's the understatement of the century.

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Oh I thought you meant one of the Power PC ones. Thing is broadwelL EP is clock for clock more powerful then Power8, and a lot more diverse and useful, I use two ancient Xeon X5670's for ESXi and, I don't think there is a cheaper was to virtualise so many VMs as I do, and you just can't do that on Power8, in enterprise terms it blows, and when compared to super computer uses, it still gets destroyed by the vastly more powerful X86_64 nature, especially when you've got a couple million logical processors anyways.

I meant PowerPC Power 8 specifically still kicks Broadwell's behind in scale-up workloads. Anandtech has the benchmark scores somewhere.

And no, Power8 is not that far behind in IPC.

Is that why the most powerful DOE supercomputer is Power 9 and Volta based instead of Skylake and Volta based?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10435/assessing-ibms-power8-part-1/10

Yup, Broadwell is destroyed.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

no this is a Patrick announcement

No, my announcement is this:

Bow before your new moderator (as of tomorrow).

I meant PowerPC Power 8 specifically still kicks Broadwell's behind in scale-up workloads. Anandtech has the benchmark scores somewhere.

And no, Power8 is not that far behind in IPC.

Is that why the most powerful DOE supercomputer is Power 9 and Volta based instead of Skylake and Volta based?

The Sunway TaihuLight, being the most powerful, is build using sunfire, but mostly because US government blocked China's attempts to buy more Xeon CPUs for an upgrade to Tianhe-2 and to build TaihuLight, so they had no choice but to design, and in the case of this one, license Sunfires systems and use RISC instead. Tianhe-2 has 768,000 Logical Intel processors and 2,736,000 Xeon Phi cores, conversely TaihuLight has 10,649,600 RISC cores, and is only 3x as powerful. If Tianhe-2 had 10,649,600 logical processors it would smash past TaihuLight, but powerdraw, cooling, size and cost would prohibit that. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The Sunway TaihuLight, being the most powerful, is build using sunfire, but mostly because US government blocked China's attempts to buy more Xeon CPUs for an upgrade to Tianhe-2 and to build TaihuLight, so they had no choice but to design, and in the case of this one, license Sunfires systems and use RISC instead. Tianhe-2 has 768,000 Logical Intel processors and 2,736,000 Xeon Phi cores, conversely TaihuLight has 10,649,600 RISC cores, and is only 3x as powerful. If Tianhe-2 had 10,649,600 logical processors it would smash past TaihuLight, but powerdraw, cooling, size and cost would prohibit that. 

And the DOE's planned for this upcoming year is far more powerful than TaihuLight.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

And the DOE's planned for this upcoming year is far more powerful than TaihuLight.

That is unlikely as the sheer size and cost of being far more powerful is, well, impractical. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That is unlikely as the sheer size and cost of being far more powerful is, well, impractical. 

No it isn't.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/exascale-supercomputing.html

300 Petaflops at just 10 Megawatts, using LESS power than TaihuLight.

No it isn't.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/exascale-supercomputing.html

300 Petaflops at just 10 Megawatts, using LESS power than TaihuLight.

That's because it's GPU accelerated, which I don't think will be running off RISC machine due to PCI-e and compatibility, I'm guessing it will be using Xeons for that reason. 

Yours faithfully