Getting ethernet to bedroom

Goot

Looking for the best way to connect my new built PC to the internet from my bedroom. Currently have my PC in an office, but not the most convenient place. I am unable to run an ethernet cable to the router. Wondering what other, cost effective solutions people have. Looking for a cheap solution

1 minute ago, Name Taken said:

Powerline.

I have the powerline adapters, but some reason, only one will work at a time..

40 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

Powerline.

Powerline is ass, they were never built to carry that kind of signal. Hell, a wireless connection could outperform powerline.

I don't know what your "situation" is being unable to run ethernet to your destination, but it's extremely cheap on amazon, and you could probably run it across your ceiling if you can't get it behind the wall.

What are your speeds?

7 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

Powerline is ass, they were never built to carry that kind of signal. Hell, a wireless connection could outperform powerline.

I don't know what your "situation" is being unable to run ethernet to your destination, but it's extremely cheap on amazon, and you could probably run it across your ceiling if you can't get it behind the wall.

What are your speeds?

That's bull mate... I have 1200mbps powerline and it's actual linkspeed I have managed to get it at is 750mbps. Yes there are "some" wireless situations where it would be higher, but you're talking ac wifi on the router side and an ac capable device, or at least a 5ghz n connection with a very decent device link speed to be able to get that. Most devices I have seen have capped out at 150mbps to save money I suspect. Even on PC wifi it would have to be a very good wifi card to get anywhere near the speeds powerline can achieve. The powerline ones I have are tplink 1200mbps and were only around £80 for a pair of 3 port passthrough plug models, you can get cheaper if you don't need passthrough or 3 ports.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's bull mate... I have 1200mbps powerline and it's actual linkspeed I have managed to get it at is 750mbps. Yes there are "some" wireless situations where it would be higher, but you're talking ac wifi on the router side and an ac capable device, or at least a 5ghz n connection with a very decent device link speed to be able to get that. Most devices I have seen have capped out at 150mbps to save money I suspect. Even on PC wifi it would have to be a very good wifi card to get anywhere near the speeds powerline can achieve. The powerline ones I have are tplink 1200mbps and were only around £80 for a pair of 3 port passthrough plug models, you can get cheaper if you don't need passthrough or 3 ports.

mind sending me your speedtest with powerline on?

3 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

mind sending me your speedtest with powerline on?

Well my speedtest would tell you nothing, as my internet speed is capped at 52mbps, I am saying my network speed is rated at 750mbps between my devices that are linked by the powerline. I have nothing to prove to anyone, I am just telling you what I get from it.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

45 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Well my speedtest would tell you nothing, as my internet speed is capped at 52mbps, I am saying my network speed is rated at 750mbps between my devices that are linked by the powerline. I have nothing to prove to anyone, I am just telling you what I get from it.

I was hoping to get your ping time out of it, but alright.

People allways look to run cables through their walls. Have you looked at the possibility of drilling a cable to the outside of your house and back into the room your pc is in?

UTP cable cannot withstand weather conditions, so put it in a protective tube, or buy weather proof UTP.

13 hours ago, Mornincupofhate said:

I was hoping to get your ping time out of it, but alright.

Sorry, was late last night and a bit irritable... I'll go do that for you now.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Powerline is probably your best option if your home's electrical system is reasonably modern.

But if there is any way possible to run ethernet cable then run the cable.  Personally I would not be opposed to snaking it along the baseboards if necessary.  You can always paint it to match.

OK, I have changed my mind after the day I've had... suddenly my powerline has gone haywire after months of perfect operation. Today I went to test it as I said I would, and low and behold the link state had dropped to only 200 something mbps, thinking this might have been caused by resetting router etc I had to do recently with an ISP change I proceeded to set up the powerling again and installed the latest firmware whilest I was at it. Anyway after hours of trying things, nothing worked and still only got to a paltry 370mbps out of 1200 the kit is rated at. Anyway, long story short the kit is now being returned to Amazon after 9 months use as it was defective... and I finally pulled my finger out and ran a wire through the loft (loft is bare, not floored etc),so was a bit of a struglle as I didn't have my cable kit with me as my brother borrowed it. Anyway, luckily I had my cat6 cable here and managed to thread it through the loft under the lagging by taking out a cable that was no longer required in the process.... it's not practical to bother with sockets etc as house is rented, so it's just cabled with cat6e from end to end. Tested etc and everything fine. So earlier today was getting <2MB/s transfer through homeplugs from my NAS to my brothers room linux PC... after cabling am now getting approx 90+MB/s, that's route is through NAS-switch-router--new cat6e wire--switch-PC.

I have always been an advocate of cabling, but because the job was so big to actually do because of access issues/renting/clutter, I'd put it off for 3 years... I really only did it today as I was so pissed-off that homeplugs were playing up just after I was singing their virtues, and I has a cable to bind the new cable to to pull through. I am glad I did it of course, and to be honest I got to clear some of the clutter and fix some other things that needed doing also, so all-in-all a good day :)

I still think homeplugs have their place, but I am staying clear of tp-link ones in the future if I have to use them at clients/friends etc that don't want/can't have cabling done.

Oh, just for being clear, this is the speedtest I did today on the faulty homeplugs  5920707036.png

This is only 1 Mb/s slower than my maximum download, and the upload is spot on the speed it should be, so it's fine for things like getting internet to somewhere remote etc, just not good for file transfers. Hope that helps.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini