Does dual link dvi support 10 bit colours @ 1440p?

Hey!

I'm considering of buying a cheap korean 1440p monitor on ebay. (Don't worry, I know their limitations.) One of them, Yamakasi DS270 seems to have a 10 bit panel. So my question is, does dual link dvi support 10 bit colours @ 2560x1440 resolution? I wonder this because Linus said in his Asus PA279Q review that you want to use display port. He didn't mention dvi.

And if you have any opinion of Korean monitors, I would be glad to get advise.

First, you should check if your gfx support deep color (and I believe that's only over DP anyway at 1440p/HDMI 2.0 in future)

MAIN Core V21 | i7 5820K @ 4.2 1.21v | Corsair H100i + NF-F12 | Asrock X99M Killer | Crucial Sport 4x4GB 2400 CAS16 @ 2666 CAS15 | 290X DCUII OC @ 1115/1450 1.3v | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + 830 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Corsair AX650

Hey!

I'm considering of buying a cheap korean 1440p monitor on ebay. (Don't worry, I know their limitations.) One of them, Yamakasi DS270 seems to have a 10 bit panel. So my question is, does dual link dvi support 10 bit colours @ 2560x1440 resolution? I wonder this because Linus said in his Asus PA279Q review that you want to use display port. He didn't mention dvi.

And if you have any opinion of Korean monitors, I would be glad to get advise.

10bit + 1440p NOT= cheap

you really have to be careful about this.

FYI: Korean branded stuff are not bad, Samsung is a korean brand. having many counterfeit products/ low quality products doesn't mean products from that country sucks. That assumption is flawed from the very basic level possible

And NO, I don't think dual-link DVI is enough

Ok, thank you for all the replies. I asked because that Yamakasi doesn't have a display port despite having a 10 bit panel :D So 8 bit works just as well then.

FYI: Korean branded stuff are not bad, Samsung is a korean brand. having many counterfeit products/ low quality products doesn't mean products from that country sucks. That assumption is flawed from the very basic level possible

I know that. Maybe I was misleading when I said I would buy Korean monitor. The reason I mentioned the monitor being Korean is because those cheap monitors on Ebay that I'm looking for are all from Korea. They cost around $400 and use "2nd class" panels left over from common manufacturers. So I just wanted to be clear what kind of monitors I'm talking about, not say that some country would make bad products. As you said, that assumption would be flawed the very basic level possible. :)

Up to 48 bits per pixel are supported in dual link DVI, and is optional. If a mode greater than 24 bits per pixel is desired, the least significant bits are sent on the second link. 24 bits is 8 bit color (rgb-3x8=24)

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

All the cheap Korean monitor.. ALL of them. does not support 10-bit colors. The panel might TECHNICALLY support it, but it doesn't have the internal to support it.

Also, the only way to get 10-bit colors, is if you have a supported Quadro or FirePro card. Of course, you also need the supported software, and content. Games, Windows in general, web sites, picture you download, won't look any better, because they are all in 8-bit.

Dual link DVI cannot support 10-bit color at 1440p. 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, maybe. And by support.. I mean that the signal is compressed.

You really need DisplayPort for professional work in 10-bit colors.

Ok, it seems I would do nothing with 10 bit colours anyways then. I'm not going to do any professional photo or video editing. Just gaiming mainly. And my graphics card would not support it. So thank you again for all the great replies.