Advice on used server for Minecraft

Go to solution Solved by liquidmagma,
9 minutes ago, Orboe said:

Thank you for the replies. This item is only 99 dollars. I do have a 120gb ssd I could use. So if I get this server and put a server distribution of Linux on it, I should have everything right? 

yea you shoud. unless it has'nt got sata connectors. ask the seller what connectors are they.

Hello everyone! My wife, kid sister, and five of my friends have been playing Minecraft together and I have been paying for a server from a website. My wife wants to get rid of the server since we pay 25 a month for it but we are trying to find a cheaper option. There are a lot of old server equiptment on Ebay but I am not sure which one I should get. We play with a very large amount of mods so I was looking at 16 or 32gb ram setups. Here is the one I was looking at: 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL380-G6-Server-2U-2x-2-93GHz-Quad-Core-Xeon-24gb-DDR3-DVD-ROM-/132041061836?nav=SEARCH

Not entirely sure if that has everyone I need. Any advice would be nice. 

working with industrial stuff and server rack cases isnt to fun, but its not a bad deal, also if you weren't aware a minecraft server can be run on any PC, does not need to be run on "server equipment", if you have an old pc lying around somewhere you could just add some ram to it, also if you are to buy that i would reccomend a 40$ 250gb ssd to run the minecraft server on, will make the server a lot smoother

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

7 minutes ago, Orboe said:

Hello everyone! My wife, kid sister, and five of my friends have been playing Minecraft together and I have been paying for a server from a website. My wife wants to get rid of the server since we pay 25 a month for it but we are trying to find a cheaper option. There are a lot of old server equiptment on Ebay but I am not sure which one I should get. We play with a very large amount of mods so I was looking at 16 or 32gb ram setups. Here is the one I was looking at: 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL380-G6-Server-2U-2x-2-93GHz-Quad-Core-Xeon-24gb-DDR3-DVD-ROM-/132041061836?nav=SEARCH

Not entirely sure if that has everyone I need. Any advice would be nice. 

if you have a hard drive then you basically have everything.

Don't overpay for something that says "server" in the title.

All you need is a PC with a good quad core CPU (preferably intel) and 16GB of ram.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thank you for the replies. This item is only 99 dollars. I do have a 120gb ssd I could use. So if I get this server and put a server distribution of Linux on it, I should have everything right? 

yea you shoud. unless it has'nt got sata connectors. ask the seller what connectors are they.

3 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

Okay. Thank you.

I would recommend a Dell R610 over that HP monster. The ProLiant series is pretty loud last I remember.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-Server-Dual-Xeon-E5502-DC-1-86GHz-12GB-RPS-/192051598945?hash=item2cb72ad661:g:QrEAAOSwZQRYWvoW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-Server-Dual-Xeon-L5630-QC-2-13GHz-24GB-RPS-/192051599059?hash=item2cb72ad6d3:g:W8IAAOSwItFYXFB6

I've got a couple R610s and they are pretty damn quiet even under full load.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

I would recommend a Dell R610 over that HP monster. The ProLiant series is pretty loud last I remember.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-Server-Dual-Xeon-E5502-DC-1-86GHz-12GB-RPS-/192051598945?hash=item2cb72ad661:g:QrEAAOSwZQRYWvoW

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-Server-Dual-Xeon-L5630-QC-2-13GHz-24GB-RPS-/192051599059?hash=item2cb72ad6d3:g:W8IAAOSwItFYXFB6

I've got a couple R610s and they are pretty damn quiet even under full load.

Thank you for the reply. I am looking at the second one you posted. Does it have everything I need to run it? I have an SSD I can use. 

one more thing to note is your own internet connection, if so many people are playing from it and many of these are outside of your local network you want to make sure you have got enough upload to handle it.

33 minutes ago, Orboe said:

Thank you for the reply. I am looking at the second one you posted. Does it have everything I need to run it? I have an SSD I can use. 

Almost, you'll need to pick up a couple drive caddies for the hard drive and then you'll be all set. They are like $10 so pretty cheap.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

39 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

one more thing to note is your own internet connection, if so many people are playing from it and many of these are outside of your local network you want to make sure you have got enough upload to handle it.

I have 150 down and 20 up. Is that enough?

29 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Almost, you'll need to pick up a couple drive caddies for the hard drive and then you'll be all set. They are like $10 so pretty cheap.

Thank you for your help.

Yah, with 24GB of RAM and a connection of 150/20 you can host about 40 to 50 people comfortably.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Orboe said:

yep should be no issue, RAM and some CPU power is all you need than.

I originally built my server for Minecraft. Now I host my websites, and Teamspeak on it as well.

For a server that can hold 10 players or so at the very minimum without any problems, a Core 2 Duo with 4GB and an SSD will do just nicely IMHO.

You don't need a "server", nor will you be happy with one. They're loud, large, heavy, and power hungry.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, BWLServers said:

I originally built my server for Minecraft. Now I host my websites, and Teamspeak on it as well.

For a server that can hold 10 players or so at the very minimum without any problems, a Core 2 Duo with 4GB and an SSD will do just nicely IMHO.

You don't need a "server", nor will you be happy with one. They're loud, large, heavy, and power hungry.

Yeah an old gaming PC will suffice unless you need to play with a large number of people. 

9 hours ago, BWLServers said:

While I agree that most servers are loud and power hungry, somehow Dell hit the nail on the head with their R610 and R710 line. They are damn near silent after booting up and only draw maybe 200Watts under moderate to heavy load. Plus they are dirt cheap since a lot of places are swapping them out for the newer stuff so it's almost better to go with one of those than buying all new parts.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Get the dl380 g6 or newer. Best server you'll ever buy aka I have 5 of them. :3

CPU: I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz Memery: 16GB HyperX DDR4 GPU: GTX TITAN X OC MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 6 SSD: 1-Kingston 120Gb    1-PNY 240GB HDD: 1-WD 1T, 1-Seagate 750GB CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i GTX PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: Corsair 760T White Edition