RX 490: What is a dual GPU?

1) RX 490 is rumoured to be a dual GPU. Has this been confirmed?

2) What exactly is a dual GPU? 

3) Why is this a bad thing? Loads of people be complaining non-stop. 

4) Does a dual GPU require crossfire support (on the driver/ software level) or is the crossfire dealt on a hardware level? My main reason for asking this is because I will either get a 480 or a 490. I will be using Linux and I hear that Linux support for Crossfire is nil. 

5) Does Crossfire work on Linux? I presume that Windows will be fine with it?

1. Almost nothing is confirmed about the rx490

2. There are two GPU chips on the PCB

3. They tend to not work properly

4. I'm not sure about this but I think it is dealt on the actual PCB of the GPU, not the motherboard. And of course, the drivers help out a lot

5. Last time I checked it did not

it's two GPUs on one card

take the 295x2 for example

it's just two full 290x cards on one PCB

yes, it requires crossfire support

not sure about linux though, but I assume the drivers would allow it.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1. No. It was a single rumor with a bad source.

2. A dual-GPU is exactly what it sounds like. Two GPU's on a single PCB.

3. Answer 3 combines 3 and 4, because yes, it does require crossfire support for both GPU's to work, and it's a very bad thing. That means that, in lots of games (even AAA titles!) the card might only perform half what it would perform in other things.

5. i dunno.

The RX 490 will probably be a cut-down version of Vega 10, rather than two Polaris 10 XT chips.

I used to be quite active here.

dual gpu card just means it has two gpu die's on a pcb

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

The most recent dual gpu from AMD was the R9 295 X2 and it was a monster. Kept getting strong results even though it used an old architecture. 

But - expensive as hell.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

snip

I really wanted you to post a picture of a trash bin for dual-GPU

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I really wanted you to post a picture of a trash bin for dual-GPU

grats

17_dualjifi_01.jpg

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Literally just think of dual GPU cards as two GPUs mashed onto one pcb. Because that's literally what it is.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

getting good at this!

huang_titanz_il.jpg

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

27 minutes ago, Alir said:

1) RX 490 is rumoured to be a dual GPU. Has this been confirmed?

No. And there are other rumours that RX 490 will be a cut down VEGA part.

2) What exactly is a dual GPU? 

A dual GPU is when 2 video cards of the same model and VRAM capacity are put together on the same PCB and connect with each other.

3) Why is this a bad thing? Loads of people be complaining non-stop. 

With multiple GPUs, you will never get perfect scaling. So if you have a dual GPU, it would be slower than a single GPU which has the same specs as both GPUs combined.

4) Does a dual GPU require crossfire support (on the driver/ software level) or is the crossfire dealt on a hardware level?

Yes, to function effectively and use both GPUs, it requires game level crossfire support.

My main reason for asking this is because I will either get a 480 or a 490. I will be using Linux and I hear that Linux support for Crossfire is nil. 

If you want to buy a GPU today then I'd recommend going for the RX 480.

5) Does Crossfire work on Linux? I presume that Windows will be fine with it?

Actually they both suck. Crossfire and SLI don't work too well on many games.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually they both suck. Crossfire and SLI don't work too well on many games.

My 980ti's say hi.

Actually they swore at you, did not say nice things.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The reason people think multi card set ups don't work is one of two reasons.

1) They don't own one.

2) They try and play games at launch.

My SLI set up runs great, even in games like Deus Ex. People need to chill.

But AMD doesn't have the best performance in Linux, that's Nvidia. AMD is getting better though.

This sounds scary. Hopefully it won't be a dual gpu.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

The reason people think multi card set ups don't work is one of two reasons.

1) They don't own one.

2) They try and play games at launch.

My SLI set up runs great, even in games like Deus Ex. People need to chill.

But AMD doesn't have the best performance in Linux, that's Nvidia. AMD is getting better though.

Last I heard AMD support for open source drivers or open source drivers support for AMD is better than Nvidia? At least the RX 480 and future releases are/will be?

Just now, Alir said:

This sounds scary. Hopefully it won't be a dual gpu.

Last I heard AMD support for open source drivers or open source drivers support for AMD is better than Nvidia? At least the RX 480 and future releases are/will be?

The drivers have been open source for Nvidia for ever. I haven't tested within the past few months but Nvidia has a huge lead in Linux support, because of who uses Linux. Like a 960 beating a Fury X kinda lead. AMD wants you using Windows 10, because you need Windows 10 to use DX12.