ASUS anti-surge triggered during power on

Recently my PC has been giving me this error message upon powering up. The PC also occasionally freezes while I am playing Titanfall 2, but no other games. I am pretty sure my 550w PSU is adequate for my computer, but maybe I'm wrong. Any help/advice is appreciated! (the photo attached is not from my PC) 

Since the problems occur while playing TF2, would turning down the video settings help?

Part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G7YtLD

mega.jpg

Hmm... do you live in a house with old, shitty wiring?

And what's with that "CPU Over Voltage Error!"? Seems pretty important.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

The PSU is likely damaged. Stop using the pc before you fry something and RMA it.
Also if you're trying to overclock and have the voltage set way too high then that could be an issue too

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

4 minutes ago, Moress said:

The PSU is likely damaged. Stop using the pc before you fry something and RMA it.
Also if you're trying to overclock and have the voltage set way too high then that could be an issue too

No overclocking. I'll definitely return the PSU. Thanks! 

No, software readings are very inaccurate. Just turn this feature off in the BIOS.

1 minute ago, OnfireYH said:

No, software readings are very inaccurate. Just turn this feature off in the BIOS.

No.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

On 12/17/2016 at 2:11 PM, Moress said:

No.

He's right. Asus Anti-surge is software-based voltage reading which is horrible. AIDA64 is another representation of why people shouldn't use software-based voltage detection. It's quite literally impossible for it to be accurate unless by chance.

On 12/17/2016 at 1:53 PM, QuickSilver04 said:

Recently my PC has been giving me this error message upon powering up. The PC also occasionally freezes while I am playing Titanfall 2, but no other games. I am pretty sure my 550w PSU is adequate for my computer, but maybe I'm wrong. Any help/advice is appreciated! (the photo attached is not from my PC) 

Since the problems occur while playing TF2, would turning down the video settings help?

Turn off Asus Anti-surge. It does this because it's software-based voltage reading which is literally impossible with the proper hardware to read voltages (which, again, without the hardware of, say, a Corsair RMi, isn't possible). It's awful and I don't know why Asus continues to use it. Your PSU is identical to mine and is a very, very good unit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 hours ago, QuickSilver04 said:

6 hours ago, Moress said:

6 hours ago, OnfireYH said:

6 hours ago, Moress said:

No.

Alright, I had to interrupt my Starcraft II session for this so it better be worth it.

Software readings on voltage suck. If I turned up HWInfo right now on my computer, it would tell me that the +12V rail is measuring 9V, and the 5V is measuring 7V. You know how I know those aren't right? My hard drives would be all dead if the 5V rail actually had 7 volts on it. They're not dead, so make whatever conclusions you want to make.

The only accurate measurement point for voltage in your computer lies inside the PSU and not on the motherboard. The PSU, if it's a good one (hint: the GS is), will monitor itself and shut down if things go bad.

ASUS is trying something nice here, which is to add an additional layer of protection for your computer in the case of a bad PSU. Unfortunately they didn't bother to add an actual accurate voltage reading IC because well, that costs money!

Most motherboards do have over and under voltage protection. But they don't show you a warning, they just shut themselves off if their readings cross the threshold. So unless the motherboard shuts itself off (you can't turn off this setting afaik, don't worry about that), you have no reason to worry about a bad PSU.

/End PSA rant or whatever this is

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Disable the feature in BIOS and/or replace your PSU with a Corsair RMi of it really bugs you. 

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

12 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

He's right. Asus Anto-surge is software-based voltage reading which is horrible. AIDA64 is another representation of why people shouldn't use software-based voltage detection. It's quite literally impossible for it to be accurate unless by chance.

Turn off Asus Anti-surge. It does this because it's software-based voltage reading which is literally impossible with the proper hardware to read voltages (which, again, without the hardware of, say, a Corsair RMi, isn't possible). It's awful and I don't know why Asus continues to use it. Your PSU is identical to mine and is a very, very good unit.

The OP was last online 16 hours ago, likely he's already setup an RMA ticket with EVGA already

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

5 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

The OP was last online 16 hours ago, likely he's already setup an RMA ticket with EVGA already

:(

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 3:33 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

:(

I haven't submitted an RMA yet, as EVGA is on holiday break. Should I really just turn off the ASUS protection and leave it at that?

8 minutes ago, QuickSilver04 said:

I haven't submitted an RMA yet, as EVGA is on holiday break. Should I really just turn off the ASUS protection and leave it at that?

Yes.

18 minutes ago, QuickSilver04 said:

Yes. I agree with @STRMfrmXMN. My ASUS board gives me this warning with a AX860i plugged into a Eaton 9130 Double Online Conversion UPS unit that outputs pure 120V sine. I turned it off as well because I honestly had no idea why it hates me so much. My PC only uses like 300W max too.