Decent video camera for little sis

Ginka

Hey guys,

so here is the thing : My parents contacted me the other day asking for advice to buy a video camera for my lil sis Christmas. My lil sis is 14-15 as far as I remember and seems to be interested in making movies lately (she also told my mom sometime ago that she wanted a video camera)
The thing is, I don't know shit about videos cameras ^^. Would it be better for them to buy a camera that can film ?
Could you guys help me out with this ?

They got a 250€ (260$)  max budget. But it would be great if we could find something cheaper than that.
Any good ''beginners first camera'' you know ? or any advices ?

Thanks as always :)

The Canon VIXIA HF R700 is a pretty good video camera, it shoots in full HD ind is pretty decent for basic video work and vlogging, it is the camera I used to do these videos, it has decent autofocus and does reasonably well in dark light. Not a bad deal for $200

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

6 minutes ago, Mi26 said:

Smartphone camera is a good start 

So no present then ^^

She is already using her phone to make vids, that is why she want a proper camera now ^^

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

So you in Japan, sister spending in Euros, and you quote us in USD?

Japan has Yen, Euros is Europe. On online forums, especially ones with their primary audience in North America and Europe it is easiest just to ask for costs in USD or Euro because people understand their value.

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

27 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

Japan has Yen, Euros is Europe. On online forums, especially ones with their primary audience in North America and Europe it is easiest just to ask for costs in USD or Euro because people understand their value.

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If it means I get to suggest US prices and availability/deals that cost wayy more abroad, then yeah no problemo.

The thing is, I live in Japan, my family in France, and most of you are in the US ^^
My parents will buy it in € but most of you will check the prices in USD ^^ 

4 minutes ago, Ginka said:

I will check those out ^^
what the (effective) means in term of mega pixel ?

Bigger sensor from which to create the 1080p video and how well it can do digital zoom maybe?

5 hours ago, Ginka said:

They got a 250€ (260$)  max budget.

Any decent camcorder from Panasonic, Canon and Sony that is capable of recording at least Full HD (1920x1080) will be sufficient for her, some models come with integrated memory of 16-64GB, along with a memory card slot for expansion or dual recording.

Are you going to buy in Japan or where your sister is living?  Prices of electronics in Japan have the potential to be cheaper, I said potential.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

7 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Any decent camcorder from Panasonic, Canon and Sony that is capable of recording at least Full HD (1920x1080) will be sufficient for her, some models come with integrated memory of 16-64GB, along with a memory card slot for expansion or dual recording.

Are you going to buy in Japan or where your sister is living?  Prices of electronics in Japan have the potential to be cheaper, I said potential.

Gonna buy from europe I guess.
any though on the Panasonic HC-V180 ?

2 minutes ago, Ginka said:

Gonna buy from europe I guess.
any though on the Panasonic HC-V180 ?

If it's one you can afford, it's a good camera.  At your kind of budget even if there are dozens of choices they will not differ too much.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins