US government breaks the 5th amendment

79wjd

Since we're still in 2016, I've gotta keep the title nice and click-baity. 

So a bit of background, the fifth amendment protects a person from self incrimination --  you can't (legally) be forced to testify against yourself. Well, a Florida court decided they were above the fifth amendment and have ordered an individual to unlock his phone. There has been at least one other case to my knowledge that determined that you can't legally force someone to give up their password as it is a violation of the fifth amendment, but there was another case where the suspect was forced to unlock his phone via his fingerprint. So there is a bit of inconsistency on the matter.

I kind of understand why you can be forced to unlock a phone with a fingerprint -- you're forced to give your fingerprints to the police if you're arrested. Although, I also believe that ruling needs to change at some point too since there are some distinctions between giving up your fingerprints on arrest and self-incrimination. Although, you could argue your fingerprints could incriminate you too, but the "reason" for fingerprints afaik is for identification purposes -- possible incrimination is just a plus. 

Anyway, back to the matter on hand, the Florida court decided that it wasn't a violation of the fifth amendment because the court already had a strong suspicion that evidence existed on the phone and therefore they have a right to it. Which to me, sounds like complete bullshit -- if you have a strong suspicion (read: 99% confident) that someone is a murderer, you can't legally force them to admit that. So I don't know why that logic applies here....but apparently it does, at least in Florida. 

Providing the passcode does not ‘betray any knowledge [Stahl] may have about the circumstances of the offenses’ for which he is charged,” Judge Anthony Black said, writing for the three-judge panel. “Thus, ‘compelling a suspect to make a nonfactual statement that facilitates the production of evidence’ for which the state has otherwise obtained a warrant based upon evidence independent of the accused’s statements linking the accused to the crime does not offend the privilege.” -- Court of Appeals'

In other words, the state already had reasonable cause to believe that the evidence existed on the phone, and it was therefore legal for it to demand access to that evidence.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/15/police-unlock-iphone-passcode-court-ruling/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It IS Florida, to be fair.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

It IS Florida, to be fair.

You know you're bad when even Virginia is better than you. 

2 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

this is why you encrypt everything... sorry officer... i forgot my 28 digit password since i havent been typing it in daily.  

perjury = bad 

And that's kind of besides the point -- you shouldn't be in a position where you even have to consider lying to avoid self-incrimination. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

You know you're bad when even Virginia is better than you. 

Or Alabama, for that matter.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Since we're still in 2016, I've gotta keep the title nice and click-baity. 

So a bit of background, the fifth amendment protects a person from self incrimination --  you can't (legally) be forced to testify against yourself. Well, a Florida court decided they were above the fifth amendment and have ordered an individual to unlock his phone. There has been at least one other case to my knowledge that determined that you can't legally force someone to give up their password as it is a violation of the fifth amendment, but there was another case where the suspect was forced to unlock his phone via his fingerprint. So there is a bit of inconsistency on the matter.

I kind of understand why you can be forced to unlock a phone with a fingerprint -- you're forced to give your fingerprints to the police if you're arrested. Although, I also believe that ruling needs to change at some point too since there are some distinctions between giving up your fingerprints on arrest and self-incrimination. Although, you could argue your fingerprints could incriminate you too, but the "reason" for fingerprints afaik is for identification purposes -- possible incrimination is just a plus. 

Anyway, back to the matter on hand, the Florida court decided that it wasn't a violation of the fifth amendment because the court already had a strong suspicion that evidence existed on the phone and therefore they have a right to it. Which to me, sounds like complete bullshit -- if you have a strong suspicion (read: 99% confident) that someone is a murderer, you can't legally force them to admit that. So I don't know why that logic applies here....but apparently it does, at least in Florida. 

https://9to5mac.com/2016/12/15/police-unlock-iphone-passcode-court-ruling/

Well...  You could just "forget" the code...  I mean its not like they can beat it out of you.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Just now, JefferyD90 said:

Well...  You could just "forget" the code...  I mean its not like they can beat it out of you.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

perjury = bad 

And that's kind of besides the point -- you shouldn't be in a position where you even have to consider lying to avoid self-incrimination. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, JCBiggs said:

prove it...

That's a dangerous game that the majority of people will lose. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's a dangerous game that the majority of people will lose. 

no its not... what are they going to start water boarding us? they cant prove shit thats in your head... i wouldnt give them shit.  and eventually i would be out of jail for holding up to the 5th, and probably get a nice settlement to. 

1 minute ago, JCBiggs said:

no its not... what are they going to start water boarding us? they cant prove shit thats in your head... i wouldnt give them shit.  and eventually i would be out of jail for holding up to the 5th, and probably get a nice settlement to. 

Someone doesn't just forget a 28 digit passcode that they had memorized. It's obvious youre either lying or its written down somewhere. In most cases that defense wouldn't hold up.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Probably distinguishing between literally testifying you committed a crime and this, which they might consider simply withholding evidence. What you get with a strict interpretation of the Constitution

"Give evidence as a witness in law court." - Webster 

"....nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself...." - fifth amendment 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

you sure about that?  

your positive that i remember my wifi password that i typed into my router two years ago  thats 30+ digits...

exactly.. you cant prove it.  

Like I said, have fun in jail. That defense won't get you far. 

Also, it's s password you typed on a daily basis for an extended period of time. Not one obscure time on a router.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

Or in jail for Contempt of Court...

3 minutes ago, JCBiggs said:

smh... i hope your at the university of Illinois for law... because that would explain your basic misunderstanding of how our republic works. 

You're*

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

Or in jail for Contempt of Court...

that would last a couple of months... even further proving your point that you forgot.. LOL.. now its been 2 months since i typed it in instead of a few days... 

this has already been played out... people have done this.  they get to go home and the fbi sends the device to the nsa to unlock... nothing new here.  

"i forgot"  works. 

1 minute ago, JCBiggs said:

technically it would be "you're"

Technically*, it would be "you're".*

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

...the Florida court decided that it wasn't a violation of the fifth amendment because the court already had a strong suspicion that evidence existed on the phone and therefore they have a right to it. Which to me, sounds like complete bullshit...

I'm not American and Personally, I think that court did nothing wrong. If you are innocent - you have nothing to hide, just unlock the phone and prove you are.

Why do you think this sounds complete bullshit? I mean it would sound bullshit to me too if I was in the spotlight and had something to hide to cover my own ass.

Do they have a warrant? your phone is not you testifying against yourself, the incriminating information may or may not already be on there. its not forced self incrimination if the evidence was on there before you where ordered to unlock it. your phone is your home, there is a body in the freezer and the police has a warrant but they can't enter because they cant get trough the magically invincible door. forcing you to give the key, is that self incrimination or just following the warrant? i mean this is all smoke and mirrors since the government can easily force someone else to access it if they really need it. 

25 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

U sure about that bro, nice and warm in here, let me just put my jacket on this camera... looks like a nice spot