Learning to code, advice?

Murissa
Go to solution Solved by Gachr,

Hello!

First step - What do you want to do?
What you should learn depends on what you'd like to do, and stick with it. It's quite different depending on your goals. So, what do you want to do?

Second step - Set up your environment. Unless you'll be doing C#, it's probably best to stick to Linux or macOS.

Then you'll need an editor or an IDE - what's the difference?

A text/source code editor only edits the code for you, also providing extra functionality such as syntax highlighting or colour picking. It's universal, and doesn't provide many features for interacting with the code. However, when using one, you will need to install and use a compiler/interpreter (program that reads your code) yourself. The one I use is Atom.

An IDE provides the features of a text editor, but also some extra things. Most important of all - they are tailored to a specific language, so they aren't universal like code editors. They provide different features; they check if the code you wrote is right, or make suggestions what you should write, and general automation. They can be, however quite overwhelming. Examples of them are PyCharm for Python or IntelliJ IDEA for Java.

I personally prefer source code editors.

Third step - Choose how you learn.

I advise people not to learn on sites such as Codecademy, for different reasons, listed in one topic I wrote long ago - I can link it to you if you want.

Whether you prefer video or text tutorials, it's up to you. However, you have to learn to learn by reading, since that's how programmers develop themselves, and there is no way around that.

Hello everyone.

I want to learn some code and would like some help where to start. 

I have downloaded python and C (called C-Free 5), does anyone have any information where I can get some more information for teaching me these please?

Also I would like to learn HTML, CSS and Java, but I am not sure where to download these programs. Can you guys help me out here please also?

Thank you :)

P.S. If you guys have better ways to learn how to code, let me know :)  I am also using freecampcode.com to learn.

Edited by Murissa

Check online for Codecademy if you need a basic way to get going.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I got started on SoloLearn then moved to Microsoft Virtual Academy, but I'm doing all C# stuff since that's what my job is now.

5 minutes ago, Murissa said:

Also I would like to learn SSD

Err what?

Also, code is pretty much just a text. You can use any text editor to write code (Notepad, Wordpad, MS Word etc), but for convenience, there are better applications with helpful plugins (Atom, Sublime Text, Notepad++ etc).

Compiling the code is another story. For Java, you need JDK 8. For HTML, you just need a web server. For C, you need a compiler.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Err what?

Also, code is pretty much just a text. You can use any text editor to write code (Notepad, Wordpad, MS Word etc), but for convenience, there are better applications with helpful plugins (Atom, Sublime Text, Notepad++ etc).

Compiling the code is another story. For Java, you need JDK 8. For HTML, you just need a web server. For C, you need a compiler.

Sorry, i meant to say CSS. I am more interested in if I wanted to learn how a specific code worked (eg. python), what would I use to help me learn?

Also, could you elaborate a bit more with Java and HTML please? What would I need to download or set up to start to learn these codes?

14 minutes ago, Murissa said:

Also, could you elaborate a bit more with Java and HTML please? What would I need to download or set up to start to learn these codes?

TL;DR: To make java code "work" you are going to have to download the JDK (it's in oracle's website) and HTML any modern web browser will suffice. 

I recommend that you get a IDE for java, there are a load out there pick the one that fits your needs the most. (IDEs are more or less a editors that provide additional functionality, e.g. let's you run the code and check errors

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

TL;DR: To make java code "work" you are going to have to download the JDK (it's in oracle's website) and HTML any modern web browser will suffice. 

I recommend that you get a IDE for java, there are a load out there pick the one that fits your needs the most. (IDEs are more or less a editors that provide additional functionality, e.g. let's you run the code and check errors

That sounds awesome :) What IDE would you recommend?

Also do you know Python? Where could I start learning about python?

SOrry one more question, do you recommend I do this in Linux or Windows?

First, pick one language and stick to that for a little while. Your goals should be to to learn and practice the basic programming concepts first, not learn multiple languages as fast as possible. Learning multiple languages is a great thing, and different languages will teach you different things, but a lot of concepts you will learn from your first language will apply to languages you learn later.

What kind of applications do you want to make?

3 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

First, pick one language and stick to that for a little while. Your goals should be to to learn and practice the basic programming concepts first, not learn multiple languages as fast as possible. Learning multiple languages is a great thing, and different languages will teach you different things, but a lot of concepts you will learn from your first language will apply to languages you learn later.

What kind of applications do you want to make?

Honestly I haven't thought too much about it, more because I have no idea what I can make. For starters, I guess I would like to make a program that asks you how you feel today, and then after you make your choice, it says an inspirational quote to cheer you up. Then the program will close.

Is that possible? For starters I would start with python.

Hello!

What you should learn depends on what you'd like to do, and stick with it. It's quite different depending on your goals. So, what do you want to do?

Second step - Set up your environment. Unless you'll be doing C#, it's probably best to stick to Linux or macOS.

A text/source code editor only edits the code for you, also providing extra functionality such as syntax highlighting or colour picking. It's universal, and doesn't provide many features for interacting with the code. However, when using one, you will need to install and use a compiler/interpreter (program that reads your code) yourself. The one I use is Atom.

An IDE provides the features of a text editor, but also some extra things. Most important of all - they are tailored to a specific language, so they aren't universal like code editors. They provide different features; they check if the code you wrote is right, or make suggestions what you should write, and general automation. They can be, however quite overwhelming. Examples of them are PyCharm for Python or IntelliJ IDEA for Java.

I advise people not to learn on sites such as Codecademy, for different reasons, listed in one topic I wrote long ago - I can link it to you if you want.

Whether you prefer video or text tutorials, it's up to you. However, you have to learn to learn by reading, since that's how programmers develop themselves, and there is no way around that.

3 minutes ago, Gachr said:

Hello!

Thank you for the post :)

So I guess to start, I would like to learn python (and javascript off to the side). Would there be a specific editor you would use for python and java?

With C#, is that normal C or C++? What about if I have Windows 10 Pro, do you know how I would go about getting Linux to work?

Your third step also, I would like a link to your post if that's ok? It would be good to learn your reasoning behind not using codeacademy. :) 

When you say reading, is there any material that you would recommend for python and java?

20 minutes ago, Murissa said:

Honestly I haven't thought too much about it, more because I have no idea what I can make. For starters, I guess I would like to make a program that asks you how you feel today, and then after you make your choice, it says an inspirational quote to cheer you up. Then the program will close.

I was more wondering if you wanted to make web applications, desktop applications, mobile applications, etc. Some people start with a platform in mind, but many people don't so it doesn't matter too much.

Python is a good language to start with. If you choose to go with that, a good resource for learning is Automate The Boring Stuff. It's a free online book with a set of youtube videos that takes you through learning Python 3.

30 minutes ago, Murissa said:

SOrry one more question, do you recommend I do this in Linux or Windows?

In most cases it doesn't matter. Use whichever you prefer.

24 minutes ago, Murissa said:

Thank you for the post :)

No problem :)

So I guess to start, I would like to learn python (and javascript off to the side). Would there be a specific editor you would use for python and java?

Like I said, don't decide on the language quite yet. They are just tools - first you need to think about what you'd like to make :)

For all my languages, I use Atom that I mentioned before. I also use MonoDevelop for C# when working with Unity.

With C#, is that normal C or C++? What about if I have Windows 10 Pro, do you know how I would go about getting Linux to work?

They are more or less related, but they aren't the same languages. First, there was C, and later C++ was created - it was just C with extra features. C# is not directly related to them - more inspired by them.

If you didn't use Linux yet, just stick with Windows for a bit more, then you can see about switching ;)

Your third step also, I would like a link to your post if that's ok? It would be good to learn your reasoning behind not using codeacademy. :) 

When you say reading, is there any material that you would recommend for python and java?

Programming is one of those careers in which you learn your whole life... There is always something new coming out. A language is just basics - then there are different libraries, frameworks - just tools.

Learn C# first; it helps you learn all other languages, and in my opinion its quick to learn, and easy to use.

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

I'd suggest learning Python first. As for a guide I think https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/ is pretty decent. Of course any guide is just a starting off point once you've picked up a bit of knowledge try making something with it and if you run into issues google them or ask on the forum and try to figure them out.

17 hours ago, Murissa said:

#imports package to generate random numbers
from random import randint
#an array of qoutes
qoutes =[
  "The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. H. Jackson Brown, Jr",
  "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller",
  "We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. Joseph Campbell",
  "Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you. Walt Whitmanl",
  "Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present. Jim Rohn"]
#ask user how they are
answer = input("How are you today?")
#print a random qoute, this rolls a number form 0 the length of the array
print(qoutes[randint(0,len(qoutes))])

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

19 hours ago, Murissa said:

Java, but I am not sure where to download these programs

Find the type of PC you have
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
Pick whichever one that says Java that you like:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/
Don't download it if it's for a different language, I don't think it will work but I'm not sure.