Intel To Begin Production Of ARM Processors.

Intel announced that it will begin production of ARM processors for its partner Altera shortly.

This comes as a shock after Intel has consistently tried to compete with ARM in the mobile market and reciting its process node technology as a leg-up over the competition, now it seems Intel is surrendering the edge it had over the competition.
Altera's  64-bit ARM Cortex-A53 CPU will be produced on Intel's advanced 14nm process.

The use of 14nm especially comes as a shock as the incentive for Intel to produce chips for other companies has usually been to do more with the running costs of empty fabs , after all running an empty fab is almost as expensive as running one that's at full production.
source

Intel announced that it will begin production of ARM processors for its partner Altera shortly.

This comes as a shock after Intel has consistently tried to compete with ARM in the mobile market and reciting its process node technology as a leg-up over the competition, now it seems Intel is surrendering the edge it had over the competition.

This incentive for Intel here has to do more with the running costs of empty fabs rather than Intel giving in entirely to the competition, after all running an empty fab is almost as expensive as running one that's at full prodcution.

source

Intel always tries to use all empty fabs to their 100% of productivity, always.

Not surprised, they just want to use their fabs for anything.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

They just got too many fabs  -_-

Not selling enough to keep them busy I guess?

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

They just got too many fabs  -_-

Not selling enough to keep them busy I guess?

No, their fabs get outdated. With every new process shrink comes new fabs to produce the new processors, and more fabs go 'obsolete' (i.e. cannot product the latest product). They spend about $6bn per fab, so they don't want to leave it alone. They use them for things like flash and other processors.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

No, their fabs get outdated. With every new process shrink comes new fabs to produce the new processors, and more fabs go 'obsolete' (i.e. cannot product the latest product). They spend about $6bn per fab, so they don't want to leave it alone. They use them for things like flash and other processors.

This doesn't appear to be the case, updated OP.

This doesn't appear to be the case, updated OP.

Gotcha.

I wouldn't call it a shock, they won't be competing with ARM in the mobile space over these chips. They'll go into FPGA development hardware.

I've had my hands on an Altera board with an Intel chip, it's a neat piece of hardware. It ran Yocto Linux.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Glad to see the big guys are throwing themselves into ARM processors! At much more efficiency than x86, and with a 14nm transistor size, this will keep turning the mobile and very low voltage platforms ahead. Maybe if it goes well enough we will be ditching the x86 for desktops on a couple of years.

destined for networking equipment only

anybody know what's in store for networking future?

My Rigs (past and present)