HOW TO BUILD A RENDER FARM?

How do you build a mini render farm for home?

Something like this but way smaller 

There's no tutorial showing you how to build a render farm period, well at least step by step and explaining why. They usually say to use an old pc from the videos i watched. 

-how to commit the file? 1:30 

-how to write and code a user inter face somewhat similar to that? or is there a program that can do something similar to that? 2:20

also written in windows if possible because it looks like they're using ubuntu or linux in the video

what i want to do is be on my main computer making some 3d animations and after i'm finished with the animation i will have it sent off to a separate computer or server "computer 2" to have it processed and rendered. then that animation that i sent off, to have render to a separate computer "computer 2", is no longer a nuisance to my main pc and can continue working on a different project.

then when the rendering is done in "computer 2" after a few hours, i can use the user interface to extract that rendered animation of my chose, that i had sent off to render "computer 2", to my main computer.

so you want a second computer to do some batch processing?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

so you want a second computer to do some batch processing?

yes

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What program and tasks?

i don't have any, just want to see if it were possible for future use or tasks

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What program and tasks?

basicly planning 

1 minute ago, echy said:

i don't have any, just want to see if it were possible for future use or tasks

Possible and easy, you just need to know the program first.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Possible and easy, you just need to know the program first.

so lets say

i have two pc's

lets say im using blender 

lets say blender provided a  render farm manager or backburner how you mentioned earlier

how can i link the two pcs together so they can function together. through nas or the backburner   

do i have to install the backburner to the 2nd pc?

does blender provide instructions on how to do this on there website

if there is instructions can you provide links to them, can you also provide a link to the back burner?

i'm just using blender as an example so if you want to switch the example to auto desk that's fine with me.

can you provide a brief explanation or steps on how you will do it, incase i have it all wrong?

and thanks for helping me out i been trying to figure this out for some time

Most o

1 minute ago, echy said:

so lets say

i have two pc's

lets say blender provided a  render farm manager or backburner how you mentioned earlier

how can i link the two pcs together so they can function together. through nas or the backburner   

if there is instructions can you provide links to them, can you also provide a link to the back burner?

i'm just using blender as an example so if you want to switch the example to auto desk that's fine with me.

can you provide a brief explanation or steps on how you will do it, incase i have it all wrong?

With blender, you just launch one version of blender as a server for network, Then a client on the system you send the render from, and a render service on the other systems.

You just point it to the correct IPs, and it works.

WIth backburnder you need network storage mounted to the same point(for example Y drive on all systems). Then you need the manager, the server for the render servers, and a monitor.

For Maya, you would want to use Backburner, as @Electronics Wizardy has said. You can find information about it here, as well as searching for Maya networking rendering on Google.

Although I have not done it and it does not seem as simple to me, there are "instructions" that you can find here discuss a similar idea for Blender.

In general, Google the term network render or render farm with the software that you are using. For most software like this, there are ways to do this. 

6 minutes ago, echy said:

Blender doesn't use Backburner, AFAIK. It is only for 3DS Max and Maya, Autodesk products.

Blender uses different tools, such as the Network Render plugin that you can read more about here. A video tutorial can be seen here.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

3 minutes ago, nickl said:

For Maya, you would want to use Backburner, as @Electronics Wizardy has said. You can find information about it here, as well as searching for Maya networking rendering on Google.

Although I have not done it and it does not seem as simple to me, there are "instructions" that you can find here discuss a similar idea for Blender.

In general, Google the term network render or render farm with the software that you are using. For most software like this, there are ways to do this. 

Blender doesn't use Backburner, AFAIK. It is only for 3DS Max and Maya, Autodesk products.

Blender uses different tools, such as the Network Render plugin that you can read more about here. A video tutorial can be seen here.

cool thanks this is helpful, and i think i need to be hands on in order to get a good understanding, maybe contact them in person. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2016 at 11:34 PM, echy said:

so lets say

i have two pc's

Hey @echy,  I literally just finished networking my machines together.  I have a Lenovo dual Xeon D30 as a render slave and a recently built i76950x for a workstation.  I primarily work in V-Ray, but the principals are all the same.  It took some doing and I pulled out a lot of hair (never dealt with setting up a network in the past) but its up and running now.  One thing I noticed (and I could be wrong) but if you are running windows 10 I think you have to have all machines on Win10Pro.  Otherwise, set up your router and a network and you should be good to go.