Athlon x4 860k with liquid cooling. Overclock?

CPU.                        Amd athlon x4 860k

Liquid cooler.         Deepcool maelstrom 120t

How high can i overclock

()_()
        ( ._.)
     c((")(")

4 minutes ago, kidpcbuilder2004 said:

CPU.                        Amd athlon x4 860k

Liquid cooler.         Deepcool maelstrom 120t

How high can i overclock

4.5-4.6Ghz is the max usually, but watercooling for it is unnecessary, you can get to 4.5GHz with a cooler master 212 evo.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

As high as your motherboard will let you go, because if you chose a cheap mobo it won't let you do much :P

So as high as you'll go until the motherboard shuts itself off (or catches on fire, but unless it's really cheap it should have a protection circuit).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

anything past 4.5GHz or something doesn't scale.

I don't get why not? It might be smaller increments (less % gain for every 100mhz) but it should scale one to one, I think

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

I don't get why not? It might be smaller increments (less % gain for every 100mhz) but it should scale one to one, I think

I don't really remember, but you could ask @Prysin or @vagabond139. I know both OC'd their Athlons and performance didn't really scale past something like 4.5GHz.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't really remember, but you could ask @Prysin or @vagabond139. I know both OC'd their Athlons and performance didn't really scale past something like 4.5GHz.

i had my 7850k and 7870k running with a 240mm AIO, more specifically the Cooler Master Nepton 240m. i hit 4.7GHz, but even with a 240mm AIO, it was getting far too hot. Benchmark and games scores at 4.7GHz didnt really improve much from 4.4GHz

I agree with Prysin, I have my 7850k OCd to 4.4 right now. I can go higher but the thermal levels are nuts and so is the voltage required.

That and the gains are either minimal or non existent above 4.4. Just be aware that almost every program out there cannot correctly read fm2+ temps.  Use AMD overdrive (not your bios) and you'll be a lot better off. Your thermal margins are important and not the easiest thing to understand

3 minutes ago, Evanair said:

I agree with Prysin, I have my 7850k OCd to 4.4 right now. I can go higher but the thermal levels are nuts and so is the voltage required.

That and the gains are either minimal or non existent above 4.4. Just be aware that almost every program out there cannot correctly read fm2+ temps.  Use AMD overdrive (not your bios) and you'll be a lot better off. Your thermal margins are important and not the easiest thing to understand

What voltage for you to get higher? My 7650k can go 4.3ghz @ 1.35 volts. after that it gets stupid though, for 4.5 it needs 1.3875, and thats with only a H55 AIO

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

10 hours ago, RKRiley said:

What voltage for you to get higher? My 7650k can go 4.3ghz @ 1.35 volts. after that it gets stupid though, for 4.5 it needs 1.3875, and thats with only a H55 AIO

I run at 1.30 volts.  Usually get thermal margins between 60 and 50.  I don't see the need to push it ant farther. All that does is make the system unstable, run worse and break faster. 4.4 is the sweet spot for me.

How do you over clock the system?

1 minute ago, Evanair said:

I run at 1.30 volts.  Usually get thermal margins between 60 and 50.

How do you over clock the system?

I do it through BIOS. initially i used to do it through overdrive but switched to doing it through bios, not sure why, but that's how i've done it ever since :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I stopped using bios overclocking. It stayed unstable. Overdrive fixed that issue, plus I can overclock on the fly, which I have scripted between stock and overclock when I need the horse power.

I just wish I could completely disable the graphics chip... Or use it for additional GPU power for video editing. Either would be good for me.

Been thinking about getting an i3 lately... But waiting for Zen. Never really been a fan of Intel for my own personal use.  Been using them since I replace my Pentium 2 processor. I miss having Intel and AMD be the same socket.

Can fm2 cpu cooler fit on fm2plus?

()_()
        ( ._.)
     c((")(")

4 minutes ago, kidpcbuilder2004 said:

Can fm2 cpu cooler fit on fm2plus?

Yup, I'm sure it can.