Intel #TechYourDream Live Chat & Ultrabook Giveaway!

LinusTech

EDIT: THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING. CONGRATS TO ZOLO FOR WINNING THE ULTRABOOK

So what is this?

Working for someone else doing something you're not passionate about. Sounds familiar? Well, this might be exciting!

Intel USA is sponsoring a special 1 hour live stream that will take place at 11:00am Pacific Time on November 12th, 2013 (convert to your own time zone with this handy tool)

It will be streamed at http://twitch.tv/linustech, and while the archive may be available for public viewing later, the Ultrabook giveaway we're running is for LIVE VIEWERS ONLY.

The topic of the stream is going to be Entrepreneurship with a particular emphasis on my own path towards starting an online business and the technology that enables me to do my job.

I get asked by aspiring YouTubers or Tech Journalists all the time about how to get started with what I do, and I would like to structure this as a bit of an AMA about Linus Media Group and Linus Tech Tips. I will do my best to answer the top questions as completely and truthfully as I can. Something to remember is that while all questions are fair game, this stream is sponsored by Intel, so questions that relate back to the way technology helps me (particularly my Dell XPS 12 2-in-1 Ultrabook that I use) are more likely to be chosen.

Speaking of Ultrabooks, we'll be giving one a way to one lucky budding entrepreneur to help him or her get started!!

So how do I ask my questions?

Post in this thread, so I can check out your questions ahead of time and vote for the questions that have already been submitted that you want to hear answered.

Submit your questions on Twitter by using hashtag #TechYourDream.

We may also do a little bit of live Q&A if we have time!

How do I win the Ultrabook?

The winner will be the first person to correctly answer some questions that will be designed to ensure that they were paying attention to the stream. Here are some tips to help you optimize yourself for a quick response.

1. Make sure you're registered for Linus Tech Tips forum and signed in while you're watching the live stream

2. Make sure you're watching from somewhere that you'll have access to a browser

3. Tune into the stream right at the beginning and make sure you're paying attention!

EDIT:

We are giving away a Dell XPS 13, and the giveaway is (unfortunately) USA and Canada only.

My dad could use a new notebook...he's still using a laptop with vista :o

Edit: I apologize Linus. How about when you started Linus Media Group, what did you have for your own hardware for video editing and the other projects you were up to?

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

My dad could use a new notebook...he's still using a laptop with vista :o

Thanks, but let's try to keep this thread focused on questions that people want answered.

yes i will watch it but how good are these Ultrabooks compared to a normal laptop on a daily use situation??

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

One of the more useful things would be a breakdown of the first few steps, how to instigate a business' inception, what to do and how to do it, etc.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

@LinusTech

What are some of the barriers you've had when starting LMG?

On a day to day or week by week, what is the most dificult for you to handle owning your own buisiness?

What are your biggest fears for the future of LMG?

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I am confused do we ask question or answer the question on the top?

Edit: When will LinusTechTips swag be available and  what do you think is the key components for producing quality unboxings like yours?

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Thanks for doing this! I've been dreaming and been doing research to start my own business, this seems like good timing. 

While running your own business how do you differentiate between your personal life and your work? Is it/was it harder when you work out of your own house?

That's 3AM here in Perth :/

Oh well I guess I'll ask how long before leaving NCIX were you planning Linus Media Group? I take it you wanted to have it ready so you didn't risk something unforeseeable.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Looking forward to this as i'd like to start my own business as i leave university, will be interesting to get your take on it.

What was you greatest fear when starting up? support? money? reliable technology? :P

If you could start again, would you do anything differently?

What were the pro's and con's of having a great friend but also work colleague like Slick around?

I know making great success can change the way you are and what you stand for. What do you do, if anything, to try not to let success you've had get to your head?

Don't want to ask too many questions, but maybe you can answer one. thanks :)

How would you go about "marketing" and making yourself more well-known throughout the Internet? Seeing as this is about an online business, it seems pretty important to have a big enough audience to support what you do, and to have consumers of the content that you produce. 

COMIC SANS

Hi Linus. I have been following your show a lot recently. I decided, since I am a techie, and I want to do things with technology, and I am also a gamer, adn i want to do things that support my gaming, it would be nice to support myself whilst doing so. I want to start up my own tech channel like yours, and tech of tomorrow, and barnacles. I even have another techie friend who is very charismatic who is interested in joining me. My main thing is, how do I get more subscribers? Gain free products to review? how much should I expect to invest to get started? Can I start from nothing in a time when other big channels like your exist?

Check out my tech and gaming Youtube channel: Zillatech Gaming

I bought the Acer S3 for my mom, just based on Linus recommendation (and also was on sale on woot :))

and I think is a pretty slick device for the price, performance is okay, but never tried that with video games

I woiuld love to participate in this event, is that Q&A will be live during the stream?

I may have missed the answer somewhere but is this competiton worldwide?

TBC apparently.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

How do you ask companies to review their products if you just started your channel and you don't have any videos? Should you start off by just buying things from Best Buy, unboxing them, reviewing them, then returning them?

Where do you see the next iterations of Intel CPU's focusing on with the next Gen games coming in?

Oh man can't wait to have a chance for that ultra book :D

Hmm, I'd like to know what is the best way to drive traffic to your website/channel? Start/create website isn't that hard these days but driving people to your site is really hard :(

@Linus

1st Question:Why my Seagate 250gb drive 1/2 slower than my WD 500gb drive.

My System:Prossesor;Intel Core 2nd Genaration Core i3-2100,Motherboard:Intel DH61WW ,Ram:4gb apacer ddr3 GPU;

GraphicsIntel HD Graphics 2000 1680mb vRam 1.35GHZ(OC) (Will upgrade to AMD Radeon R7-260X) ,Hard Disk:WD Caviar Blue 500GB+Seagate HM250I 

DVD Drive:Asus DVD RW

How do I expose my new business to potential clients, and how important is the social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Xing etc.) of my business nowadays?

OT: If the competition ends up being US only, can I have the laptop shipped to a friend in the States?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'd like to hear, which Tools you use for monitoring your customers and your traffic.

Something about advertising your product and finding the right customers. How important did social medias become to business? Is it the right way for product placement? Is it enough for a just startet business to go with these or should I invest more time and money for some kind of "real" advertising right from the start?

corsair carbide 400r|AMD FX-6300 4,8GHz @ 1,47V|NVidia GTX480 850/2100MHz @ 1150mV|Kingston Low Profile Value Ram 8GB 1333|Samsung 840 Series SSD 120GB|Seagate 2TB HD|WD 2TB HD|WD 750GB HD

Phobya DC12-400|Phobya G-Changer 240 top|Thermaltake 120mm bottom|Phobya Balancer 150 black nickel|aqua computer cuplex kryos hf|watercool Heatkiller GPU-X³

How do you negotiate with vendors such as AMD/Nvidia etc. to give you sample products to review? On what basis do they let you know things before the general public (on occasion) and how do NDA's work?