Camera for a photography class. Budget:$200

Hulkbert

The only parameters the teacher has given me is ,A digital camera (your phone doesn't count).I have more detailed parameters though, I would like to be able to record in 1080p 60fps (although I shouldn't be expecting that at this price point). As for mics, the ability to use external mics is necessary . And as for size, it doesn't matter that much, I just need the battery life. idk about cameras so, I would appreciate if you could guide me in the right direction. (I don't think I need a DSLR, I could be wrong though.)

Thanks.

Edited by Hulkbert

Nikon D5100 with a kit lens?

I got a combo like that for 200usd.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

Theres many Compact cameras that will easily meet your requirements. 

As for dslr u can only get a used one. 

I dont have any suggestions but I knkw sony dominates compact digital camera market. I recommend googling what vlogers on youtu e use as they go for best stuff for video content possible. Good luck.

PS. U ask for video recording camera, title suggest a photo taking camera, big differrnce. Just saying.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, oskarha said:

For 200 ?! Black friday I guess. 

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

Where? On amazon it says it costs ~$300.

6 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Where? On amazon it says it costs ~$300.

Could be used too

Everyone should own a vive.

16 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

Could be used too

Yes I got it used on the Norwegian used market.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

27 minutes ago, Thony said:

Theres many Compact cameras that will easily meet your requirements. 

As for dslr u can only get a used one. 

I dont have any suggestions but I knkw sony dominates compact digital camera market. I recommend googling what vlogers on youtu e use as they go for best stuff for video content possible. Good luck.

PS. U ask for video recording camera, title suggest a photo taking camera, big differrnce. Just saying.

I think I've seen some cameras that can do 1080p 60 fps. idk much about cameras though.

38 minutes ago, oskarha said:

Any other suggestions? I couldn't find one.

7 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

Any other suggestions? I couldn't find one.

Canon 600D?

Main Rig:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, oskarha said:

Canon 600D?

Should I be looking new or used?

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Should I be looking new or used?

Used, these are 5 year old DSLRs ;)

Main Rig:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, oskarha said:

Used, these are 5 year old DSLRs ;)

What is better? Used dslr or a new point&shoot? (at the same price point)

2 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

I know to little about point and shoots to give a proper answer, but one really nice thing about a DSLR is that you can swap the lens, while on most point and shoots you will be stuck with one lens ;) 

Main Rig:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, oskarha said:

I know to little about point and shoots to give a proper answer, but one really nice thing about a DSLR is that you can swap the lens, while on most point and shoots you will be stuck with one lens ;) 

Ok. And what about battery life on the cannon?

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Ok. And what about battery life on the cannon?

I dont know, I only own the D5100.

I think you can get battery grips for both tho ;)

Maby this will help:

Main Rig:

Spoiler

Just now, oskarha said:

I dont know, I only own the D5100.

I think you can get battery grips for both tho ;)

Maby this will help:

Thanks!

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Thanks!

No problem :D

Main Rig:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Hulkbert said:

The only parameters the teacher has given me is ,A digital camera (your phone doesn't count).I have more detailed parameters though, I would like to be able to record in 1080p 60fps (although I shouldn't be expecting that at this price point). As for mics, the ability to use external mics is necessary . And as for size, it doesn't matter that much, I just need the battery life. idk about cameras so, I would appreciate if you could guide me in the right direction. (I don't think I need a DSLR, I could be wrong though.)

Thanks.

Hard to find a good brand new camera for $200, you will have to look in the used department.  Look at your local classifieds, online classifieds and if there are any photography stores in your area selling used cameras.

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

For your budget point and shoot because to get full value from dslr u need quality lenses and they cost way more than you can afford. Downsote of dslr. Its really meant for cinematography rather than beginner students of you cant afford it.  

Thats my opinion.

For your budget point and shoot because to get full value from dslr u need quality lenses and they cost way more than you can afford. Downsote of dslr. Its really meant for cinematography rather than beginner students of you cant afford it.  

Thats my opinion

3 minutes ago, Thony said:

Thats my opinion.

No, the downside of a DSLR is it's made for still photography, not motion. But you are right in what you're saying about lenses; however depending on what kind of camera you end up with, you can get some really good glass on the cheap from ebay. Either from vintage/legacy lenses and adapters or just people dumping stuff off used.

3 hours ago, Hulkbert said:

Thanks.

What are you going to be shooting at 60fps that you need/want 1080p/60fps? 24fps is generally more important for that 'cinematic look' if you're in film school. You could get something like the Panasonic G5 which does do 1080p/60fps; however that kit lens is okay, but you'll want different lenses. If you go m4/3, you can get a Canon FD adapter for pretty damn cheap, and Canon FD glass is plentiful, cheap and of pretty good quality. There is a 2x crop factor with m4/3 though, a 50mm lens will appear to be a 100mm lens through the Panny. Great for telephoto stuff, not so good for wide shots. The other thing is m4/3 does suffer in low light, but with fast lenses and/or enough lights, it's not an issue. I believe batteries for those are pretty cheap and plentiful as well.

2 hours ago, Thony said:

Thats my opinion

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

No, the downside of a DSLR is it's made for still photography, not motion. But you are right in what you're saying about lenses; however depending on what kind of camera you end up with, you can get some really good glass on the cheap from ebay. Either from vintage/legacy lenses and adapters or just people dumping stuff off used.

So, maybe I should get a point and shoot for now? Then ,later down the line, if I save up and get a larger budget for a DSLR?

22 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

So, maybe I should get a point and shoot for now? Then ,later down the line, if I save up and get a larger budget for a DSLR?

Maybe you should discuss it with your teacher and explain to him/her what you are looking for in a camera but you only have a limited budget.

For $200 I wouldn't try chasing two hares, since you are in a photography class get a camera that's good for photography within your budget and forget about video features.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins