Camera for a photography class. Budget:$200

Hulkbert
1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

For $200 I wouldn't try chasing two hares, since you are in a photography class get a camera that's good for photography within your budget and forget about video features.

Realistically, if this is an intro photography class, don't even worry about video. Just go to a local thrift store and try to find a 35mm film SLR. There's almost always a Canon AE1 or something similar at all the ones near me, and I'm in a pretty rural area. If this is an intro to video/film class, then I would hope there is a place you can rent gear through the school.

57 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Realistically, if this is an intro photography class, don't even worry about video. Just go to a local thrift store and try to find a 35mm film SLR. There's almost always a Canon AE1 or something similar at all the ones near me, and I'm in a pretty rural area. If this is an intro to video/film class, then I would hope there is a place you can rent gear through the school.

I think I have to get a digital camera.

Just now, Hulkbert said:

I think I have to get a digital camera.

Fair enough, though it's a bit depressing they aren't teaching you film, unless that's a separate class. And I would strongly recommend you take that. Talk to your teacher though about what kind of stuff you'll be doing in the class and what he/she recommends and go from there.

14 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

Fair enough, though it's a bit depressing they aren't teaching you film, unless that's a separate class. And I would strongly recommend you take that. Talk to your teacher though about what kind of stuff you'll be doing in the class and what he/she recommends and go from there.

What should I be looking for in a point and shoot for a photography class or just in general if I have a wide range of subjects and locations?

1 hour ago, Hulkbert said:

What should I be looking for in a point and shoot for a photography class or just in general if I have a wide range of subjects and locations?

At the $200 price point, most compact cameras are very similar to each other.  Tiny sensor, integrated zoom lens, more or less shoot JPEG only though some might let you shoot RAW.  Mostly automatic, with somewhat roundabout ways of doing things manually.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

2 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

At the $200 price point, most compact cameras are very similar to each other.  Tiny sensor, integrated zoom lens, more or less shoot JPEG only though some might let you shoot RAW.  Mostly automatic, with somewhat roundabout ways of doing things manually.

Is there like an evo 212 of point and shoot cameras? (Great quality, low price[sub $250])

4 hours ago, Hulkbert said:

Is there like an evo 212 of point and shoot cameras? (Great quality, low price[sub $250])

Most $200 cameras are pretty much similar to each other.  If you want to buy brand new, look at Canon or Sony compacts/Point-N-Shoots.  Or look in the used department for a nice model.  I don't know what's available out there for you in the used department, but there may be good ones.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins