Pc will not turn on- psu clicks once

Hi, I'm a new pc builder. I finished my first build and it powered on no problem. Threw an unactivated copy of windows 10 on and was using it for a couple of days. Halfway through the first Mass Effect game, it just dies. Every atempt to turn it back on would result in the psu clicking once. I looked online and the next step I found was to breadboard. I took the core components out and set it on my motherboard box to see what the problem was and it still wouldn't start. The psu still clicked once. I cleared the cmos and made sure the cpu cooler, ram, and power cables were properly secured. 

I'm running a i5 6600k @ 4.2 gHz (I think its stable bc i ran some stress tests), 1x8 gb stick balistix sport ddr4, gigabyte z170xp-sli, coolermaster hyper 212 evo, crucial 240gb ssd, rx480, and a rm550w from corsair.

Whats the next step? How can I fix this issue? If not, should I just start the return process? For what components?

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure but i think that's a security thing in your PSU activating.

If you turn on your PC the PSU shouldn't make a click noise.

What i would do is take out the RX 480 and connect your monitor to the iGPU (the ports on the motherboard) and reset the CMOS once more and try again.

I'm afraid something died and it's now just finding out what.

Is there maybe a burning smell or something? Visually inspect every PCB for burn marks and check every connector for burned/melted stuff.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

You try a different power outlet? Reseat memory?

Suck that you don't have a debug LED on your motherboard, but it sounds like the PSU bit the dust to save your system for some reason.

7 minutes ago, Monimar said:

Hi, I'm a new pc builder. I finished my first build and it powered on no problem. Threw an unactivated copy of windows 10 on and was using it for a couple of days. Halfway through the first Mass Effect game, it just dies. Every atempt to turn it back on would result in the psu clicking once. I looked online and the next step I found was to breadboard. I took the core components out and set it on my motherboard box to see what the problem was and it still wouldn't start. The psu still clicked once. I cleared the cmos and made sure the cpu cooler, ram, and power cables were properly secured. 

I'm running a i5 6600k @ 4.2 gHz (I think its stable bc i ran some stress tests), 1x8 gb stick balistix sport ddr4, gigabyte z170xp-sli, coolermaster hyper 212 evo, crucial 240gb ssd, rx480, and a rm550w from corsair.

Whats the next step? How can I fix this issue? If not, should I just start the return process? For what components?

Thanks for your help.

Try another psu if possible, that is most likely the issue.

Place a jumper on the power supply 24-pin and test to see if it will even power up on its own.  This will allow you to rule out any other component with the exception of the power supply.

Just Google "jump a power supply."  There are plenty of videos and threads covering it already.

If it powers on, your problem lies elsewhere.

Alright, I'll give it a try, but the rm550w has black cables. Is there still a way to locate the green wire? I did try to power on the computer after reseating the memory, clearing the cmos, and hooking the monitor up to the igpu. Sadly, I got the same results. I dont have an extra psu handy, but I might be able to borrow a working one from somewhere. It just might take a few days. As for the meltey stuff, I don't see any on the mobo and dont remember if I

smelled a burning smell when it happened.

24 minutes ago, Monimar said:

-SNIP-

I had the same problem a few months ago,

In my case, one of the modular cables came out of the PSU

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Place a jumper on the power supply 24-pin and test to see if it will even power up on its own.  This will allow you to rule out any other component with the exception of the power supply.

Just Google "jump a power supply."  There are plenty of videos and threads covering it already.

If it powers on, your problem lies elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

Try another psu if possible, that is most likely the issue.

17 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

You try a different power outlet? Reseat memory?

Suck that you don't have a debug LED on your motherboard, but it sounds like the PSU bit the dust to save your system for some reason.

19 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I'm not sure but i think that's a security thing in your PSU activating.

If you turn on your PC the PSU shouldn't make a click noise.

What i would do is take out the RX 480 and connect your monitor to the iGPU (the ports on the motherboard) and reset the CMOS once more and try again.

I'm afraid something died and it's now just finding out what.

Is there maybe a burning smell or something? Visually inspect every PCB for burn marks and check every connector for burned/melted stuff.

Thank you for your quick responces. I'm still new to this forum, so my apologies as I did not get a chance to quote everybody.

3 minutes ago, Monimar said:

Alright, I'll give it a try, but the rm550w has black cables. Is there still a way to locate the green wire?

Count the pins.  Once again, tons of diagrams on Google.

1 minute ago, Monimar said:

Thank you for your quick responces. I'm still new to this forum, so my apologies as I did not get a chance to quote everybody.

You're welcome and good luck.

19c31dd2a6a33aaf4fb6b99635674b45.jpg

Wow... You were right. I followed the diagram and the fan didnt power on. In fact, I heard the same click, saw a bright light and smelled burning stuff. I think my psu just caught fire. I guess I should contact corsair support right about now.

26 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Count the pins.  Once again, tons of diagrams on Google.

You're welcome and good luck.

19c31dd2a6a33aaf4fb6b99635674b45.jpg

Oops I forgot to quote you again. I'm sorry. Thank you for your help.

Wow... You were right. I followed the diagram and the fan didnt power on. In fact, I heard the same click, saw a bright light and smelled burning stuff. I think my psu just caught fire. I guess I should contact corsair support right about now.

Oops I forgot to quote you again. I'm sorry. Thank you for your help.

Hopefully it didn't damage any other components when it originally failed.  Sounds like you just finished it off properly when you did the test of the PSU alone.  :D

Glad to hear that you tracked it down.  I'm sure the warranty will go smoothly.  Good luck.

15 hours ago, Monimar said:

RIP your PSU. My condolences.