Spotify and Steam on SSD?

Alda14

So I know i should not download my games onto my ssd however steam takes a good while to open. Will it help if I install steam on my ssd but install my games to my hdd? Same goes for Spotify. I have a lot of songs and I use it every day but it takes a good while to open. Is it safe to install steam and spotify onto my ssd or just one?

Maybe it could help if you have Steam on SSD. Same thing can be done for Spotify I think

Yes, you can install games on your HDD or your SSD. You can set this up by going into Settings > Downloads > Steam Libraries > add HDD location. But if your SSD is large enough feel free to put some games on it. It'll improve loading times but that is all as far as I know. 

Spotify and steam, well most applications will benefit from being installed on an SSD, so go for it.

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

..? 

You can install anything on your SSD. Games, steam, spotify, literally anything.

i know i can install anything however i have heard that i should only install a couple of games if i were to because adding games to an SSD would shorten the life of my ssd

1 minute ago, Alda14 said:

i know i can install anything however i have heard that i should only install a couple of games if i were to because adding games to an SSD would shorten the life of my ssd

That's 99% untrue.. Your SSD's lifespan will only be affected by the amount of read/writes done to it. Simply installing and playing a game might affect it... in the order of seconds. I've had everything (or, well, everything that can fit) on my SSD for 3 years now, and no issues whatsoever.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You can install anything on your SSD. Games, steam, spotify, literally anything.

I agree, just depends on how big the SSD is, I'd recommend getting another one if you can, that way you have one for your OS, one for your games/slow loading apps and use the HDD for your general data/documents/music/ect...

You definitely won't shorten your SSD's life drastically, if at all by loading it up.

Just now, cayphed said:

I agree, just depends on how big the SSD is, I'd recommend getting another one if you can, that way you have one for your OS, one for your games/slow loading apps and use the HDD for your general data/documents/music/ect...

But that costs money. I mean, I have a bunch of games, programs as well as the OS on my SSD and it's still not full after 3 years despite being a 128GB drive :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

But that costs money

I know, didn't say you had too, but I  would if you could, you can get them pretty cheap at the moment too, https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480808200&sr=1-4&keywords=ssd just keep looking around, you'll find a bargain somewhere, besides a 128 wont hold much in the form of steam games plus the OS, it's something you should consider.

1 minute ago, cayphed said:

I know, didn't say you had too, but I  would if you could, you can get them pretty cheap at the moment too, https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1480808200&sr=1-4&keywords=ssd just keep looking around, you'll find a bargain somewhere, besides a 128 wont hold much in the form of steam games plus the OS, it's something you should consider.

You can get 120GB SSDs for $40... I'd call that cheap. On the other hand, a 525GB SSD like that costing $130... not exactly 'cheap', by most standards.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

You can get 120GB SSDs for $40... I'd call that cheap. On the other hand, a 525GB SSD like that costing $130... not exactly 'cheap', by most standards.

To get the same amount of space by your standards it would be about $180 by using the 120gb drives, like I said, you don't have too, but you should consider it, most times a little outlay at first is better than an ongoing expense.

8 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

That's 99% untrue.. Your SSD's lifespan will only be affected by the amount of read/writes done to it. Simply installing and playing a game might affect it... in the order of seconds. I've had everything (or, well, everything that can fit) on my SSD for 3 years now, and no issues whatsoever.

Ok well I currently have steam on my 1 TB HDD as well as my games, so will i have to uninstall steam and then redownlad it to my 250 GB SSD or is there a way for me to just transfer it to my ssd? Also will i have to change the destination of the games before i redownload steam?

Ok well I currently have steam on my 1 TB HDD as well as my games, so will i have to uninstall steam and then redownlad it to my 250 GB SSD or is there a way for me to just transfer it to my ssd? Also will i have to change the destination of the games before i redownload steam?

Are you throwing the OS on it too?

DONT DO IT!!!

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-move-a-pc-game-to-another-hard-drive-without-re-1714706774

Just now, cayphed said:

Are you throwing the OS on it too?

I already have my OS on my ssd

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

moving the game folder is easiest

i meant uninstalling the game and redownloading to another drive

I already have my OS on my ssd

Plug it in, install steam and then copy the common folder over, it's easy you wont need third party apps to do it.

If steam is already on the OS drive but your games folder is on the HDD, plug the SSD in, tel steam you'd like to install future games there, then copy the common folder over.

7 minutes ago, Alda14 said:

You can move the games over to the SSD after uninstalling and reinstalling steam onto the SSD. You will have to restart after you've moved the games over for steam to properly detect them.

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

if you're too afraid to use your SSD why buy one 

Because OS boot times.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

ok just copy your games to another place on your HDD and then uninstall Steam, install Steam on your SSD, in the options there is a create steam library option and make one on your HDD. then just drag all your games into the new steam library folder any you are good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You can move the games over to the SSD after uninstalling and reinstalling steam onto the SSD. You will have to restart after you've moved the games over for steam to properly detect them.

Sometimes Steam will "pretend" to download them with me, don't know why?

Just now, cayphed said:

Sometimes Steam will "pretend" to download them with me, don't know why?

It's just looking through the files and downloading what's necessary. Although, sometimes it'll re-download the whole game... hence, the reason why I said 'you will have to restart (your PC)'.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats