Best way to digitize VHS tapes with minimal quality loss?

I'm trying to digitize an entire box of VHS tapes, but I'd like to have as little quality loss as possible.

So far, I've converted ~8 hours using an Elgato cable, using horribly glitchy free software (Elgato's proprietary software didn't detect my cable), and it doesn't work properly with Windows 10, plus the quality is kinda trash (pink lines/flares permanently staining the image), but I'm not salty, considering I paid less than $100 for this cable.

I'm wondering what the best way is. I find it hard to imagine that these Elgato-esque cables (which are, in my opinion, overpriced junk) are the go-to solution for the generations of people who want to digitally store their VHS footage.

Take it to a service. I took a box to a service and for a reasonable price (don't remember exactly what it was) they were all converted flawlessly to dvds. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

They used to have those combo machines where it's a VHS and DVD player. Can't remember if the DVD side has a record function. If there was then all you have to do is play the VHS and hit record and it should just record it to the blank DVD disc.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

16 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Take it to a service. I took a box to a service and for a reasonable price (don't remember exactly what it was) they were all converted flawlessly to dvds. 

While a "service" is something I'm definitely keeping in the cards as a possibility, I'd like to have it as a bit of a last-resort kinda thing, considering I have well over 100 hours of footage it may be an expensive option indeed. Plus there is the issue of DVD discs (see my reply to NumLock21 below)

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

They used to have those combo machines where it's a VHS and DVD player. Can't remember if the DVD side has a record function. If there was then all you have to do is play the VHS and hit record and it should just record it to the blank DVD disc.

Please let me know if you remember your own personal experience with them exactly what kind of machine you mean, so that I can look into it. As for DVD discs, while much more convenient and useful than VHS, for many reasons, my end-goal is to store them digitally, mainly on my home server/media centre, with the possibility of off-loading some in cloud-storage.

I'm no expert, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't ripping the video from the DVD's add a second step of "conversion", so to speak, i.e. another step of quality loss? If yes, I hope that, with the goal of minimal quality loss, you can understand that converting from VHS to DVD will be a strong contending option, but certainly not my optimal choice, for the aforementioned reason.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really appreciating the time and the suggestions, this is quite important and dear to me.

I remember talking with my dad about a VCR he was servicing that had a USB port for tape to digital converting, so those apparently exist

Another way could probably be done using a smart tv that can record to internal or external storage from inputs. Not sure on the details though

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

16 minutes ago, GinoSaffron111 said:

While a "service" is something I'm definitely keeping in the cards as a possibility, I'd like to have it as a bit of a last-resort kinda thing, considering I have well over 100 hours of footage it may be an expensive option indeed. Plus there is the issue of DVD discs (see my reply to NumLock21 below)

Please let me know if you remember your own personal experience with them exactly what kind of machine you mean, so that I can look into it. As for DVD discs, while much more convenient and useful than VHS, for many reasons, my end-goal is to store them digitally, mainly on my home server/media centre, with the possibility of off-loading some in cloud-storage.

I'm no expert, please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't ripping the video from the DVD's add a second step of "conversion", so to speak, i.e. another step of quality loss? If yes, I hope that, with the goal of minimal quality loss, you can understand that converting from VHS to DVD will be a strong contending option, but certainly not my optimal choice, for the aforementioned reason.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really appreciating the time and the suggestions, this is quite important and dear to me.

I never did it myself, but I do remember seeing one of those machines a while back, like when DVD just came out, so maybe 10+ years ago. The machine are standalone players where you plug to your TV and not the computer. It records directly from VHS to DVD.

It looks some thing like this

DVDR3545V_F7-IMS-en_US?$jpglarge$&wid=12

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Like any old technology, getting high-end equipment during the peek years, will get you the best visual/audio experience.

So, if you want to maximize the image quality during your transfer, you want to get high-end VCR during the periods where VHS where massive. You'll have the best heads, internals and technology ensuring the best image quality. Of course, it will be costly, but if that is what you seek, this is what you need. Of course, I don't know much on this subject, so I would suggest to do your own research.

As VCRs are analogue, you need to use high quality video and audio cables. Short as well. You want everything on your side to keep the image and audio quality. Those can be pricey. Your standard RCA cables won't do. Then you need a recorder, like a PC input cards with RCA inputs (of course, a good one), and you have to find really good codecs. The problem you face, is that good input cards with analogue inputs don't really exists anymore... it is all digital these days. So finding a good old one is not really the problem, but rather drivers. You may need to acquire yourself an old version of Windows... like maybe Windows 2000 or XP just to get the hardware working.

Or much simpler, is use a DVD recorder. Those combo units are usually not good. At the time DVD were still costly technology, and people were seeking nothing more than a low price. So, usually, everything inside were cheap. Normally, if it was all digital, it won't really matter, but passing from analogue to digital, this is tricky, as analogue can degrade quality fast.

Professional stores that convert one format to another, as they do this as a business, and not a 1 time thing, they can acquire the high-end equipment, heck even studio grade equipment, invest in fixing them or restoring them if needs to be, maintain them, and do transfers. Of course, I said.. professional stores. Many just uses a combo system like pictured above, and call it a day. You'll definitely have a loss of quality.

1 hour ago, GinoSaffron111 said:

I'm trying to digitize an entire box of VHS tapes, but I'd like to have as little quality loss as possible.

So far, I've converted ~8 hours using an Elgato cable, using horribly glitchy free software (Elgato's proprietary software didn't detect my cable), and it doesn't work properly with Windows 10, plus the quality is kinda trash (pink lines/flares permanently staining the image), but I'm not salty, considering I paid less than $100 for this cable.

I'm wondering what the best way is. I find it hard to imagine that these Elgato-esque cables (which are, in my opinion, overpriced junk) are the go-to solution for the generations of people who want to digitally store their VHS footage.

As long as they are not Copy Right protected films then I would see about a send out service.Yes Video is one, that Sam's Club uses. They seem to do pretty good. I think the only issue is, its not instant, you will have to mail the tapes off then wait for them to come in. I think it can take up to a month depending on how busy they are. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think I'm going to try a service. A local business does them for $12/VHS, transferring them to a HDD I provide myself, which is quite pricey, considering I have at least 100 VHS tapes.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

As VCRs are analogue, you need to use high quality video and audio cables. Short as well. You want everything on your side to keep the image and audio quality. Those can be pricey. Your standard RCA cables won't do. 

Oh come on there are no differences between cables.

75Ohms wave impedance for composit video and everything is fine.

30 minutes ago, GinoSaffron111 said:

I think I'm going to try a service. A local business does them for $12/VHS, transferring them to a HDD I provide myself, which is quite pricey, considering I have at least 100 VHS tapes.

Do 1 to try and out, and compare yourself. See if you are pleased. Else try somewhere else before bringing everything and not like the results

23 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Oh come on there are no differences between cables.

75Ohms wave impedance for composit video and everything is fine.

Sorry, there is a difference. I have cables both standard and well shielded ones.

Sure, if you use a low-end VCR and record your stuff in EP, then yea, you'll probably not notice anything (let alone any image that is comprehendible to start with). But with good machine, good TV, watching original SP VHS movies, your cables grade difference will show. You'll notice a softer image and reduce color saturation with lower quality cables. We have done the test. This is not some sort of stupid Monster cable crap statements. Of course, I am not saying to get $500 cables either, there is a big diminishing return. But there is a difference between the $2 ones included in the box, and the more premium ones in the.. I don't know.. say... $15-20 ones (assuming you get actual value ones, and not the $2 ones being sold at $25 from your big box store, of course).

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry, there is a difference. 

In an ABX Test?