Looking for good LAN games

Crashbash111

Hi all.

I'm hosting a LAN with about 9 of my mates coming along in about 3 days, but we'll be in a location with no internet at all. Right now we are struggling to get a good list of LAN games we could all try together. In the past we've played games over the internet but this time we need a list of games that are actually LAN compatible. Most modern games seem to lack LAN support and we are mostly stuck to older titles, but I'd be keen to hear if you guys have any suggestions. It doesn't matter how old the games are.

Right now the list is:
* Rocket League® - using Rocket Launcher mod we can play through LAN.
* Team Fortress 2
* Counter Strike: Source/Global Offensive
* Warcraft III: Frozen Throne
* Garry's Mod
* Dota 2
DiRT 3 Complete Edition
* Borderlands 2 (assuming it supports LAN)
* Half-Life 2 + Synergy (unsure if that'll work)
* OpenLieroX
* Minecraft
* Terraria
* Tremulous
* OpenTTD

Thoughts?

EDIT: Here I was thinking we wouldn't have many games, what a list haha.

Edited by Crashbash111
Added to game list

left4dead2 is good up to 8 players. you really need 8 players to play some game modes properly. theres a code on steam to buy a 4 pack

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

sounds fun.

I would leave tf2 out though. That game isn't that fun when you don't have a lot of players. 6v6 is kind of minimum imo.

Synergy crashes kind of a lot (usually only for the person hosting the server though), and some parts don't load right, so you might have to skip them, but other than that, its fine

1 minute ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

sounds fun.

I would leave tf2 out though. That game isn't that fun when you don't have a lot of players. 6v6 is kind of minimum imo.

There will be 10 of us, and tbh we don't have that many other games so I recon it's worth a shot xD

Just now, Crashbash111 said:

There will be 10 of us, and tbh we don't have that many other games so I recon it's worth a shot xD

I guess, if one of you guys has a more powerful computer, and knows how to run a linux vm, then you should host a server with really short respawn times. 20 second respawn times with only 5 players is a bit rough. even when played competitively

2 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

I guess, if one of you guys has a more powerful computer, and knows how to run a linux vm, then you should host a server with really short respawn times. 20 second respawn times with only 5 players is a bit rough. even when played competitively

Yeah I've got a few oldish server machines that would be more than capable of hosting a Team Fortress 2 server I recon

Quake 3 arena

Unreal Tournament

vv -- dunno if these require internet for co-op or local plays. may need internet just to launch Steam and the games, then run games locally in lan.

Dead by Daylight ( 4vs1 co-op)

Broforce could be fun if it doesn't require internet for co-op

Trine 1 and 2 could be fun as 3 player co-op but i'm not sure if they're internet free

Worms Reloaded could be fun if you're patient to wait your turn  but again, not sure if it works without internet

Borderland and Borderland 2 co-op ?

stalker shadow of chernobyl  has some multiplayer mode and can be fun but it's a bit old and can be buggy on some systems (can crash from time to time)

Serious Sam

If you dig turn based games, could try Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and/or 4 I guess, would work with at least 4 players on the maps. Heroes 3 shouldn't require internet connection.

If you like building/simulation games, you could get OpenTTD ( open source transport tycoon ) and play against each others at making railways and airports and transport passangers between cities. It's easy to set up a dedicated server on one computer and then have lots of players on same large map.

In the Windows 98 days I used to play Carmageddon in lan, but it was dos game using IPX or some old protocol for network which no longer works in modern games. Also played some game with snipers Delta something, which used voxel rendering for graphics.. wouldn't enjoy it these days.

You sure you won't have any internet? Maybe you could set up some internet access with one of your friends' phone just enough to run Steam and authenticate games and let it do checks it needs to run games (a few hundred kb of traffic maybe?) and then do things only on LAN

Steam also has a tag system .. you can browse games tagged as Local co-op or Local multiplayer

1. local multiplayer  http://store.steampowered.com/tag/browse/#global_7368

2. local co-op http://store.steampowered.com/tag/browse/#global_3841

Broforce or sidescrollers like terraria. And perhaps survival games like h1z1 or rust.

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

You sure you won't have any internet? Maybe you could set up some internet access with one of your friends' phone just enough to run Steam and authenticate games and let it do checks it needs to run games (a few hundred kb of traffic maybe?) and then do things only on LAN

Yeah I have been planning to have my phone hotspot as a standby in case we run into an issue. Can give that a shot.

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

If you like building/simulation games, you could get OpenTTD ( open source transport tycoon ) and play against each others at making railways and airports and transport passangers between cities. It's easy to set up a dedicated server on one computer and then have lots of players on same large map.

Yup I remember this game - I used to play it quite a bit. Thanks for reminding me about it!

26 minutes ago, sun2 said:

And perhaps survival games like h1z1 or rust.

Do you know if Rust has LAN support or not? I didn't think it did... I'll check it out.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check them out and see how many of them actually have proper LAN support.