128gb of ram?

The other say I saw 8 RAM sticks for 128gb total, my computer has 8 and it is more than enough for me.

Does anybody know whats the difference between 8gb of ram and 128gb? and what is 128gb of ram commonly used for?

Thanks. 

Is this video not enough about the matter? hehe

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The difference is about 120GB, and that extra 120GB comes in handy on ultra high-end editing, rendering or calculation machines. The overwhelming majority of us are still many generations of hardware away from 128GB even being considered a future-proofing measure.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

if a ramdrive is of use to you then it would be really nice and also running VMs with plenty of ram is also nice but you also need more cpu cores for that.

13 minutes ago, no-name said:

The other say I saw 8 RAM sticks for 128gb total, my computer has 8 and it is more than enough for me.

Does anybody know whats the difference between 8gb of ram and 128gb? and what is 128gb of ram commonly used for?

Thanks. 

If you're gonna be editing 4K+ video or photos at over 50 megapixels it might be needed.

Or if you're running 10 gamers 1 CPU so you can give each gamer 12GB :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Try to encode a 4K @ 60 fps video with x264 on preset placebo and see it use 10+ GB

I stopped the encoder in the screenshot below when it got over 12 GB of memory :

stupid_encoding.png

On extreme presets like placebo, x264 needs to keep a huge amount of frames uncompressed in memory along with all the analysis done for them so memory usage goes way up.

HEVC is even worse when it comes to memory, if you're aiming for most quality retention at the sacrifice of encoding speed.

128GB would be good for making the next Toy Story movie?

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I'm a music producer and a candidate for a 128 GB machine.

Some sound sample libraries, especially more modern ones, can consume an INSANE amount of RAM because of the sheer number of ways instruments can be played. Capturing all of those potential performance styles and room environments costs a lot of data and using that data in real time requires a lot of RAM.

My current machine has 64 GB of RAM but I still have to scale back my project templates because I keep running out. It's good enough for now but my next build will definitely have 128 GB in it. I'm tired of having to ration my project quality or have an awful workflow because of running out of RAM.

Below is my common "starting point" template with about 9 GB of buffer space to add other tracks as needed. I'd like to expand this but I just don't have the RAM to do so. 128 GB, man, that'd be nice.

A lot of people forget about us when talking about use cases for machines with large amounts of RAM. We don't need ECC or any crazy Xeon features. We're not data centers. We need fast cores (to handle burst when one track has to do a lot of work. One track always resides on only one thread), lots of cores (music production multithreads incredibly well since each track/instrument/plugin is on its own thread and a project can have hundreds) and TONS of RAM!

If anything, we're the people the 6950x was built for. :P An overclockable 10-core with support for 128 GB of RAM? That sounds amazing. Yes, Xeons exist but you'll get lower clock speeds, no overclocking and end up paying for features I don't need. Going Xeon also makes it less of a multipurpose build. This machine runs in my home office and doubles as a gaming machine, game development workstation, you name it. Xeon is a little too specialized for me.

A6gP5SG.png

CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz RAM: 128GB Corsair @ 2666MHz Motherboard: Asus Z390 Prime P Graphics Card: EVGA 2060 OS Drive: 1TB NVME Other drives:860 Evo 1TB, Crucial BX500 500GB x 2, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

16 hours ago, nerd866 said:

I'm a music producer and a candidate for a 128 GB machine.

Some sound sample libraries, especially more modern ones, can consume an INSANE amount of RAM because of the sheer number of ways instruments can be played. Capturing all of those potential performance styles and room environments costs a lot of data and using that data in real time requires a lot of RAM.

My current machine has 64 GB of RAM but I still have to scale back my project templates because I keep running out. It's good enough for now but my next build will definitely have 128 GB in it. I'm tired of having to ration my project quality or have an awful workflow because of running out of RAM.

Below is my common "starting point" template with about 9 GB of buffer space to add other tracks as needed. I'd like to expand this but I just don't have the RAM to do so. 128 GB, man, that'd be nice.

A lot of people forget about us when talking about use cases for machines with large amounts of RAM. We don't need ECC or any crazy Xeon features. We're not data centers. We need fast cores (to handle burst when one track has to do a lot of work. One track always resides on only one thread), lots of cores (music production multithreads incredibly well since each track/instrument/plugin is on its own thread and a project can have hundreds) and TONS of RAM!

If anything, we're the people the 6950x was built for. :P An overclockable 10-core with support for 128 GB of RAM? That sounds amazing. Yes, Xeons exist but you'll get lower clock speeds, no overclocking and end up paying for features I don't need. Going Xeon also makes it less of a multipurpose build. This machine runs in my home office and doubles as a gaming machine, game development workstation, you name it. Xeon is a little too specialized for me.

A6gP5SG.png

I understand now, thanks.

On 11/30/2016 at 3:18 PM, Energycore said:

If you're gonna be editing 4K+ video or photos at over 50 megapixels it might be needed.

Or if you're running 10 gamers 1 CPU so you can give each gamer 12GB :D

Thanks!

On 11/30/2016 at 3:06 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Is this video not enough about the matter? hehe

Helped a lot, thank you.