Capchas can now be solved by a computer

colonel_mortis

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24710209

A US-based start-up claims to have broken security tests used to tell humans and computers apart online.
Vicarious said it had developed technology, based on the human brain, which could solve text-based Captcha tests 90% of the time

In tests, the Recursive Cortical Network software solved 90% of Captcha tests used by Google, Yahoo, PayPal, and Captcha.com, Vicarious said.
Nevertheless, Captcha as a security mechanism was still valid, according to security experts

I don't quite see how a security mechanism that has been found to be solved by a computer 90% of the time (not much worse than humans really) can be described as "still valid" if the software gets out into the wide world, but I guess you have to be really dedicated to make a computer powerful enough to run the software just to crack capchas.

HTTP/2 203

Occasionally I get locked out of the forums when I use Tor for it at school because the captchas are impossibru.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

captchas are stupid, they've been cracked before and this just further proves they are not viable security measures. Plus there are ways to get around captchas without even solving them if you have the know how and time. A friend of mine found a loophole in one and was able to make 1000 gmail accounts in a couple of minutes. Seriously funny and now he can spam whoever he wants.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Setting up human created questions instead of capchas is 100 times better, especially if its forum theme based questions. Like for LTT ask who is Linus's sidekick or who films, only people that follow will know and be able to get in creating a valid hurdle to even keep noobs out that have no idea what LTT is. Many forums use these specific questions which are only relevant to the forum topic and keep the auto-bots out very well, well some regular updating is needed as some answers can be searched and those who are insistent will find the answer and input it into their auto-bot scripts.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Setting up human created questions instead of capchas is 100 times better, especially if its forum theme based questions. Like for LTT ask who is Linus's sidekick or who films, only people that follow will know and be able to get in creating a valid hurdle to even keep noobs out that have no idea what LTT is. Many forums use these specific questions which are only relevant to the forum topic and keep the auto-bots out very well, well some regular updating is needed as some answers can be searched and those who are insistent will find the answer and input it into their auto-bot scripts.

you can only create so many questions, and doing that cost time,

generating random (almost)unreadable pics is instant and has an infinite number of possibility.

also what kind of question would you make for say a store or bank? who s the manager? no one knows that and if people have to do a research to use your service, they ll simply use somebody's else

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

captchas are stupid, they've been cracked before and this just further proves they are not viable security measures. Plus there are ways to get around captchas without even solving them if you have the know how and time. A friend of mine found a loophole in one and was able to make 1000 gmail accounts in a couple of minutes. Seriously funny and now he can spam whoever he wants.

indeed, they are harder for people because you actually have to read what the hell that obscured scribble is 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Its easier to read capchas when im drunk than im sober...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

This program is better than me at deciphering them. Some look like the letter were blended together and I can't tell them apart. I would prefer human made questions.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

90% is better than I can do

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

You know what this means - UNLIMITED comments on YouTube without hiring a private investigator to find out what the HECK the capchas are saying!!!

GUYS ALL THIS MEANS IS SOMETHING WORSE THAN CATCHAS WILL COME OUT!

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Well the most likely solution will be an introduction of picture capchas (or gif like sequences).   Like have a picture of a duck/with manipulation done to it, it will be easily recognizable by a human, but AI is hard....to be honest an image database might be better than current...you can distort an image quite a bit and we can recognize it and there are millions of samples....for text you have 26 letters and 10 numbers, which makes the problem quite a bit easier to solve.

Also from my understanding this doesn't apply to recapchas, but just capchas

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

you can only create so many questions, and doing that cost time,

generating random (almost)unreadable pics is instant and has an infinite number of possibility.

also what kind of question would you make for say a store or bank? who s the manager? no one knows that and if people have to do a research to use your service, they ll simply use somebody's else

And Capcha's are not costing time? How many re-tries till you count it as a waste of time?

Q's for Banks/Stores/Finances, what about those pesky questions you filled out when you setup your account? The best questions they could ask as only you could answer them assuming you picked good answers in the first place. Time for those, zero (at least for me).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

And Capcha's are not costing time? How many re-tries till you count it as a waste of time?

Q's for Banks/Stores/Finances, what about those pesky questions you filled out when you setup your account? The best questions they could ask as only you could answer them assuming you picked good answers in the first place. Time for those, zero (at least for me).

i wasn t talking about the user's time, the compagnies do not pay the user's time, they pay the time the programmer spent doing the questions vs 1sec to prog the capchas.

the post was meant to highlight the main advantages of capchaw for business, i m not saying it s the best solution, just it s the easiest/fastest/cheapest to install and why it probably wont go away soon.

on a side note,

most places require a capchas to create an account so how could they ask you your personal questions before you entered them?

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Captchas need to die, they are messy, not pleasant to read, and sometimes difficult.

We need those "smart captchas" that are seen in very few places, like the picture of a house, that says "what is this?" and you type HOUSE.

Or those that show you a kitten, a dog, a bird, and a helicopter, and you click the one that doesn't belong.