2 gamers 1 cpu.... can it be done with 1 GPU?

currently i have a laptop and a desktop, but planning on selling the laptop, the only thing holding me back is the fact that i can game with friends when they come over on my laptop.

so i've been giving hte 2 gamers 1 cpu thing a thought, i have most of the peripherals already: 3 monitors on my desktop alone, and a second keyboard and mouse would be easy.

the CPU wouldn't be an issue, i have a 4790k that i could simply split down the middle and have myself 2x "i5"s.

but i have a single gtx 970... i'm sure it alone could run multiple instances of the games i plan on playing anyway, i can very often have 2 games running at once, dota 2 and rainbow six siege, kerbal space program and civ 5... etc etc.

so my idea would be to have the 2 gamers 1 cpu thing setup on a second HDD/SDD, and run that if i ever want to game with somebody else locally...

but does it work?

Doubtful.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

depend on resolution the 970 handicap is 3.5 gb vram   

what i'm thinking mostly isnt about the power of the 970... if it has to be games on medium settings then that's fine, i can run rainbow six siege on the 950m laptop on low, and i'm pretty sure the 970 is a few magnitudes better.

what i'm thinking is if the virtualization software can split a gpu's performance.

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Doubtful.

because its not 2 physical graphics cards?

Don't think it will be possible. You need a physical GPU per virtual machine. That is if you are going the route that linus did for 8 gamers.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, rhavimarques said:

because its not 2 physical graphics cards?

Yeah. I think a GPU would freak the f**k out if it detected that it was installed in two systems and doing two different workloads.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

there is no way to split your GPU so no, this cant be done with a single GPU if one of the clients isnt running on the intergrated graphics and you wont have 2 "I5"s, its more like 2 higher end overclocked I3s

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

there is no way to split your GPU so no, this cant be done with a single GPU if one of the clients isnt running on the intergrated graphics and you wont have 2 "I5"s, its more like 2 higher end overclocked I3s

eh, 4 threads is 4 threads.

so it could be done having one instance running on the intel, and another on the 970?...

it could also be done with say... a 970 and.... a 1050?

1 minute ago, rhavimarques said:

eh, 4 threads is 4 threads.

so it could be done having one instance running on the intel, and another on the 970?...

it could also be done with say... a 970 and.... a 1050?

yes to both as long as your motherboard has two 16x slots it should be fine but a 1050 is a pretty weak card in comparason so just pick up another 970 used or something 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I mean.. Maybe? With a dual GPU it might be possible. I know A R9 390^2 (2 390's, not 390'xs) exist and 295x2's can be found pretty cheap.

5 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Yeah. I think a GPU would freak the f**k out if it detected that it was installed in two systems and doing two different workloads.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

to get the 2 gamers one pc they would have used VGA passthough. This involves disabling one PCI slot on the host and assigning to the VM. You cannot do this with one physical card. To do this with one card you would need to use VNC which will be slow on most games

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

You can run two monitors, but your not going to be gaming on both with only a 970. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

You definitely need two GPU of some sort. The whole idea works because you pass a GPU trough the Host to a VM, you're not distributing the GPU like the CPU core wise but you give "one whole GPU" to one specific instance of a guest machine.

Add another GPU and this should work, don' expect too much from the shared i7 though since you really just get two i3's with high clocks in the end. But this should actually be enough for most games I think.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes to both as long as your motherboard has two 16x slots it should be fine but a 1050 is a pretty weak card in comparason so just pick up another 970 used or something 

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I mean.. Maybe? With a dual GPU it might be possible. I know A R9 390^2 (2 390's, not 390'xs) exist and 295x2's can be found pretty cheap.

i'm trying to figure a solution where i can still game with 2 people and not spend huge amounts of cash :P.

a 1050 is weak in comparison, but again, the point isn't to have 2 systems running everything on ultra, its to play a game side by side while having a beer.

i can play games on ultra when i'm alone >_>

also, another use cenario is when college mates come over to either program on visual studio, run unity/unreal engines, or model in blender, and you don't need beefy gpus for those cases either.

i'm trying to figure a solution where i can still game with 2 people and not spend huge amounts of cash :P.

a 1050 is weak in comparison, but again, the point isn't to have 2 systems running everything on ultra, its to play a game side by side while having a beer.

also, another use cenario is when college mates come over to either program on visual studio, run unity/unreal engines, or model in blender, and you don't need beefy gpus for those cases either.

Your best case scenario tbh is to just not deal with it and pick up 2 used GPU's like R9 280x's which I just seen 1 go for $80 though they are normally $100.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, rhavimarques said:

well its fine for low/medium settings 1080p i guess

Builds:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

to get the 2 gamers one pc they would have used VGA passthough. This involves disabling one PCI slot on the host and assigning to the VM. You cannot do this with one physical card. To do this with one card you would need to use VNC which will be slow on most games

aaah ok, the whole PCI slot is given over to the guest pc... i think i get it now... so would it not work on the intel...?

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Your best case scenario tbh is to just not deal with it and pick up 2 used GPU's like R9 280x's which I just seen 1 go for $80 though they are normally $100.

well, i already have a gtx 970...
i also want to dual-boot the system so i don't have to use this weakened-awkward thing on my dayly basis.

aaah ok, the whole PCI slot is given over to the guest pc... i think i get it now... so would it not work on the intel...?

Might be possible to use intel on host and assign your PCI to guest

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 minutes ago, cynexit said:

You definitely need two GPU of some sort. The whole idea works because you pass a GPU trough the Host to a VM, you're not distributing the GPU like the CPU core wise but you give "one whole GPU" to one specific instance of a guest machine.

Add another GPU and this should work, don' expect too much from the shared i7 though since you really just get two i3's with high clocks in the end. But this should actually be enough for most games I think.

i'm not expecting too much from the shared i7, but an i3 with hyperthreading clocked at 4.4~ is probably fine for most games save star citizen.

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Right, but as you said, that's two GPUs, just on a single PCB.