Throttling, again possibly but not sure.

Go to solution Solved by Shadow_Storm56,

It's just boiNC.  some of the projects are a bit odd and will even read 100% cpu useage when you can tell by Temps its for sure not. 

Well time to revisit this subject about thermal throttling. I'm actually a little more suspicious it's just boinc not using 100% or something else needs some of the CPU thread resources and so takes it, and then there is a stall in the hand back but I'm not sure, core temps are visible in the terminal display to the side. The cores are still heating up, as the heatsink and IHS heat up, once they reach 80°C, the systems fans will ramp up a little to maintain that temp, as if the target is 80°C and not as low as it can go. Some problems are, mainly from being a U1 rack chassis, the heatsinks are kinda small, but on the reverse of that is each one has 3 double gang high RMP fans, that are more than capable of going a lot faster, but don't. When the core activity drops I passed the sensors command to display current CPU temps, they proved to be below TJMax, so I then tried CPU clock and each time it was nominal at 100%. At this point I just think it's system usage requires more resources, but I'm interested to hear your guys' opinions and views. 

2016-11-29 (17).png

2016-11-29 (16).png

2016-11-29 (18).png

2016-11-29 (19).png

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

12 core?????? what is that cpu 

Dual Xeon X5670

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

It's just boiNC.  some of the projects are a bit odd and will even read 100% cpu useage when you can tell by Temps its for sure not. 

Yeah, looks a little screwy and odd, but when you're dealing with 24 threads I'm sure most things have the odd hick up.

Yours faithfully

9 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, looks a little screwy and odd, but when you're dealing with 24 threads I'm sure most things have the odd hick up.

That's all just for boinc or is it somthing you had around ?

3 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

That's all just for boinc or is it somthing you had around ?

It runs a few viretual machines and a minecraft server while running boinc in the background, it also host a website of sorts. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Sounds fun. what projects on boinc ?

Just SETI@home, 24 threads of Westmare EP power just to seti@home.2016-11-29 (21).png

Yours faithfully

ah linux.... i can't belive i did not catch that from the cpu useage monitor. So why seti? why not somthing like World community grid? just curious is all. i run wcc and rosetta as well as GPU grid sometimes 

1 minute ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

ah linux.... i can't belive i did not catch that from the cpu useage monitor. So why seti? why not somthing like World community grid? just curious is all. i run wcc and rosetta as well as GPU grid sometimes 

I like helping to look for other intelligent life, when and if we find them, it will be the biggest discovery we will ever make as a species, to find another life form, it will be, simply beautiful, and I really wanna be a part of that no matter how small. It doesn't have a GPU beyond the integrated Matrox controller, there's a company I bet you haven't heard of in a while. 

Yours faithfully

22 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I like helping to look for other intelligent life, when and if we find them, it will be the biggest discovery we will ever make as a species, to find another life form, it will be, simply beautiful, and I really wanna be a part of that no matter how small. It doesn't have a GPU beyond the integrated Matrox controller, there's a company I bet you haven't heard of in a while. 

Good reason. lol try never heard of

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Good reason. lol try never heard of

Haha, they competed back when 3DFX was the king, but quickly fell behind and withdrew from the consumer market. 

Yours faithfully