Possibly fried CPU, due to faulty mobo, curious about RMA

Yesterday, while I was watching a video on Facebook, the PC has suddenly turned off. At first I thought that it must be my GPU, because recently I've seen a video of the same thing happening to another guy, while he was gaming. And I also had some issues with it before (as it's one of the faulty GTX 1080 FTW GPU's that EVGA has promised to replace, but I didn't want to stay without the card, unless it's really bad), like seeing artifacts for a couple of second before any video online. When I tried to turn it on, the motherboard was showing a QCODE "00" (I have Asus Strix X99 Gaming), which based on manuals means - "not used". I have tried looking for some more information online and have found out some more people having the same problem with almost identical setups. It turns out that the mobo might have faulty VRM circuits and so the CPU is probably fried, even though I didn't have any problem with temperatures, but there were a few issues with the mobo before as well.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience dealing with ASUS and Intel personally? I read that they aren't friendliest to their customers, but can I expect the parts to be replaced as it wasn't my fault of them breaking in the first place? The CPU and the motherboard were bought just a couple of months ago, brand new. It's literary my first PC that I've built after years of using laptops, those luckily never had any technical issues before, but I don't have much experience doing RMA.

Your parts should be covered under warranty so you can get them replaced. There are many different kinds of people who do customer support and the people who talk about their experience with customer support are usually to complain about their bad experience. Look through your part's documentation for warranty information.

Hope this helps...

-Delta

2 minutes ago, seklas said:

-snip-

My Asus X99 Deluxe shit the bed about a month after I got mine. I had some issues where it would have problems booting, so I RMA'ed my PSU (Corsair RM1000) first. Then one day I was playing a game and it just shut off completely and would not boot back up. I took it to a local shop to test the PSU again, that was fine, so a dead mobo was the next potential issue. I RMA'ed that without issue to Asus and then when I got the new board the first mobo had taken the CPU down with it. Instead of RMA'ing that right away, I just bought a 5820K since it was faster than sending out my 5930K as I had a video project due date that was coming up. I sent my 5930K back later and that was RMA'ed fine as as well. It's a bit of a pain having to box everything up, send it back and all that, but it's really not bad. I had zero issues with my RMA's, Corsair, Asus and Intel, and it all worked out fine in the end.

10 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

I had zero issues with my RMA's, Corsair, Asus and Intel, and it all worked out fine in the end.

Thanks guys, that's probably what I wanted to hear, because it'd get really expensive If I needed to buy those two parts again, so soon after building a PC. I also have a presentation coming up in four days and have left it unfinished in the PC, just before the breakdown, so just bought a SATA to USB cable, which should do the work, transferring the file. I'm not in a big rush as I still have a laptop with me, so I'll try RMA both parts, hopefully, it'll be replaced by January.

6 minutes ago, seklas said:

-snip-

I think it took about a week for any of them. A few days to get there, a day or so for them to process it, and then a few days to get back. If you send it out Monday, I'd think you'd have them back by the end of the following week.

My asus x99 gaming fried My 6800k , i rma it but they just replaced the Broken CPU because the mobo was not "Broken" 

it Will fry the next CPU aswell im Sure of it but the only thing i can do is let it!

by the way My friend also had a asus x99 strix gaming and same thing happened to him ;) 

Its most likely not a faulty vrm cirquit on the motherboard in general.

It could be that Asus has an issue with certain bad bios versions, causing voltage issues.

THey had a similar issue with the first batch of the Deluxe and Sabertooth´s in the past aswell.

I was assuming that Asus had allready fixed their issues.

But i do see some storries still popup so now and then.

So i would definitely contact Asus about it, and send it on for RMA if the board itself is dead.

I have looked and tested the Asus X99 Strix board, and did a VRM circuitry analytics on it.

And as far as that is concerned, there is nothing wrong with it.

The parts used are all decent and high quality, and even overclocked and extended torture tests, the measurements on the vrm components were all wayyyy in safe check.

My setup died at eight of november 2016 with latest bios update. My friends a Week before that.

I'm guessing intel Will not be that happy about it, the Fault is reported as a CPU failure so intel Will have to supply the costumer a new CPU but it is asus faulty motherboards that set them ablaze! 

As long as they'll replace the parts, I don't really mind it happening once. For some reason I felt that the system is going to break sooner or later (probably because It's my first PC) so I was ready for it happening. But I never would have guessed that the motherboard is going to be the reason because I have always suspected the GPU, nothing else.

P.S. When I'll send my CPU/mobo to RMA, should I put them into a anti-static bags or any particular packaging so they wouldn't get damaged until delivered?

the problem is that it will most likely happen again and again and again aslong as we have that asus x99 mobo in our rigs :/.... 

I will put my new CPU to the test tomorrow 

use the original packaging if you still have it