Motherboards are confusing, christ idk which one to get!

Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,

oh my god help me, i have a headache. i'm looking around at all these motherboards and i have NO CLUE whats best.
Just help me out please? i've already bought everything except for the CPU, Monitor, Case, & obviously motherboard.
i'm looking for a blue accented motherboard preferably a black pcb that can hold 32 gb of ram and supports sli/crossfire. 
this is the build i'm making: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mCCNgL

The only thing i could find is the asrock z97 EXTREME6. Is there anything better that fits my wants?

Off topic but why don't you get a 6700k. its cheaper and offers a tad more performance. Unless you already have the CPU, I can't think of a reason to stick with that.

Just now, SCGazelle said:

Off topic but why don't you get a 6700k. its cheaper and offers a tad more performance. Unless you already have the CPU, I can't think of a reason to stick with that.

LGA 1151 socket brother

2 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

LGA 1151 socket brother

what's wrong with it?

1 minute ago, chowderblue said:

the motherboard has a 1150 LGA socket.

since you haven't bought the cpu and mobo yet swap to an i7 6700k and z170 mobo instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

do you already have the mobo?

no thats what i'm looking for right now, and it turns out i bought ddr4 ram by accident so fuck me, now i gotta return it.

no thats what i'm looking for right now, and it turns out i bought ddr4 ram by accident so fuck me, now i gotta return it.

just get skylake instead. also, psu is crap, return it and get something like a corsair cx550m instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

just get skylake instead. also, psu is crap, return it and get something like a corsair cx550m instead.

i already bought a new cpu, bought in store at best buy. its this one - Corsair cxm series cx 750M 80+ bronze power supply

get skylake instead? but the i7 6700k uses the lga 1151 socket while the motherboard is only compatible with LGA 1150

get skylake instead? but the i7 6700k uses the lga 1151 socket while the motherboard is only compatible with LGA 1150

if you haven't gotten the cpu and mobo yet, get an i7 6700k and z170 mobo. 

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

are there blue accented z170 mobos?

Could you help me find a motherboard that would suit me? i mean i wanted to name the computer "Poseidon" cause of the blue theme but if theres anything that wouldn't put it down please suggest it. a link maybe?

30 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

i already bought a new cpu, bought in store at best buy. its this one - Corsair cxm series cx 750M 80+ bronze power supply

your in deep doo doo brother

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

On 11/26/2016 at 11:36 PM, herman mcpootis said:

Hey i need your help again, after some research ifound out that i7 6800k is a thing, should i get that instead since its in my budget? and if i should can you help me with a motherboard again?

12 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

Hey i need your help again, after some research ifound out that i7 6800k is a thing, should i get that instead since its in my budget? and if i should can you help me with a motherboard again?

You need an X99 chipset and LGA 2011-V3 board for it, and they can cost a lot more, but support like 128GB RAM and 24 cores if you buy the absolute top of the line Xeon, or 6 cores for the I7 6800K.

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

You need an X99 chipset and LGA 2011-V3 board for it, and they can cost a lot more, but support like 128GB RAM and 24 cores if you buy the absolute top of the line Xeon, or 6 cores for the I7 6800K.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/k928bj

have a look at that, i put a i7 6800k and a asrock x99 motherboard in it even though i have no idea what to look for in a motherboard it showed up in compatibility besides a bios update notification which i'm pretty sure the i7 6800k wont need on this motherboard

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

so do i stick with the i7 6700k build or go over to this one (i7 6800k)

10 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

Well, I've never seen an X99 build with a CX750m before, but if you have the money, I'd say consider X99 but bearing in mind it has had some teething problems throughout it's life, the overclock won't be as high so gaming performance will be a little lower and it uses more power and makes more heat (but not that much more). Is this a purely gaming machine? I'm building with the Z170 platform even though my system will also be used for serious CPU work because really, I'm not a fan of the X99 platform. It really comes down to what you want/need. 

Yours faithfully

13 minutes ago, chowderblue said:

i'd go with the x99, while gaming performance is the same you do get support for much better cpus in the future, not to mention the extra features(that you likely won't use) and the 680k is better if you choose to do cpu intensive tasks in the future.

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, I've never seen an X99 build with a CX750m before, but if you have the money, I'd say consider X99 but bearing in mind it has had some teething problems throughout it's life, the overclock won't be as high so gaming performance will be a little lower and it uses more power and makes more heat (but not that much more). Is this a purely gaming machine? I'm building with the Z170 platform even though my system will also be used for serious CPU work because really, I'm not a fan of the X99 platform. It really comes down to what you want/need. 

i plan on recording video editing, streaming ect. whilst gaming

i plan on recording video editing, streaming ect. whilst gaming

than go for the 6800k.