3rd party Access to Windows 10 Telemetry Data

ADM-Ntek

Not sure if this is old new but it is the first i have heard of it.

FireEye has recently struck a deal Microsoft, designed to place the security vendor's iSIGHT Intelligence into Windows Defender, an inbuilt Windows security offering.

Terms of the deal will see FireEye gain access to telemetry from every device running Windows 10, serving up access to almost 22 per cent of the total desktop market, alongside laptops and Windows mobile phone

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/610583/can-fireeye-change-cyber-security-stakes-through-microsoft-partnership/

i know it is for security purposes. but how long until other get access by just waving enough money.

We used to have special cameras on site that would see the IR from a fire and set off an alarm, and we called them "FireEyes"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

And there you go. Users of Windows 10 became products.

I wonder, how much does a user cost?

Maybe 2 cents, maybe less.

I wonder if I got that when I tried to disable all the telemetry...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

20 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

IIRC there was a report a while back that basically said "a person's data, everything they do online, is worth about $1000". I could be mistaken.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh great: MS fans will come up with an entire new line of mental gymnastics. What flavor would they take?

1) It's just harmless data there's no way to identify you

2) It's still just for performance/testing purposes!

3) I'm suuure Microsoft will be extra careful at handling the data so that some random fuckups on another company don't expose it or take more than what they need

4) Duuuuuuuuurrr! DX12 PRETTY, GIVE WIN10Z PLEEEZ!

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh great: MS fans will come up with an entire new line of mental gymnastics. What flavor would they take?

3) I'm suuure Microsoft will be extra careful at handling the data so that some random fuckups on another company don't expose it or take more than what they need

Windows 10 has got what you need, Windows 10 has got electrolytes....

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Did you know that having a daily dose of Windows 10 can help you reduce your choresterol? That's right, not just staying the same, but actually reducing it!

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It's all worth it for the windows store!!!!!! 

/s

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Did you know that having a daily dose of Windows 10 can help you reduce your choresterol? That's right, not just staying the same, but actually reducing it!

It also helps against low blood pressure :)

I guess I should write to the data protection commission and ask if this company compiles with the European and German data protection laws. If not, I look forward to seeing them getting a new asshole ripped :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I hear that operating systems that aren't Windows 10 can cause autism.

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I hear that operating systems that aren't Windows 10 can cause autism.

That's how you know. That's how you know! We're gonna stop this Mexican loosers from using this dangerous OSes.

Some of them are good people I assume.

-------

Current Rig

-------

25 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

I guess I should write to the data protection commission and ask if this company compiles with the European and German data protection laws. If not, I look forward to seeing them getting a new asshole ripped :)

The European ones, maybe. But Germany's? Unless they can provide 34 different authorizations, a pact signed with blood, and a protocol detailing the 17 layers of physical and virtual locks that isolates the single PC authorized to work with the data from the rest of the world, probably not :P 

26 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

That's how you know. That's how you know! We're gonna stop this Mexican loosers from using this dangerous OSes.

Some of them are good people I assume.

You are on a streak xD 

(¿Qué pasó, desayunaste un payaso? :P)  

Seems appropriate in this discussion

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

47 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Seems appropriate in this discussion

The ten millionth time that video has been reposted...

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

better keep it rolling, Jerry must become the next stallman 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 25/11/2016 at 6:51 AM, Darth Revan said:

Since Windows 10, selling users' data is Microsoft's new revenue model - and that's the entire point behind the telemetry and data-collection, and why Microsoft has been pushing Windows 10 on as many people as possible: The more people using Windows 10, the more people generating data which Microsoft collects and sells. Data-collection isn't primarily to improve products, and Microsoft had much better Q&A before there was any persistent data-collection - but referencing data-collection as a means to improve user-experience is just the PR-friendly way that Microsoft markets their actions to people. "User-experience" means anything Microsoft wants it to, from giving other companies information that lets them create products that will be marketed to people, to handing information over to governments which helps track certain people, to make Microsoft's online-environment their definition of "safer," etc. Also, Microsoft's collection of people's data goes far beyond what is publicly acknowledged.

The monetary value of collected data to be sold to researchers, governments, advertisers, corporations is also why Nvidia is starting to package data-collection in with their newer drivers. They say it's to improve the customer experience, and there are actually quite a few morons who believe that's what it's about, and get all defensive of the company and practice over it, thinking they're the smart one for not buying into what they think is a conspiracy. But, no... they're just morons.

Right now, all these companies are seeing each user's own personally-created data as free money that can be theirs for the taking. Something has to be done about it, because it's effectively no different than stealing, and profiting off of that equity that is taken from someone else without their approval. A person's data is their property, and the data they generate is work, and has value. It is like bitcoin mining pools deciding to keep everyone's bitcoins for themselves, unilaterally, and without sharing the proceeds.

Right now, data-collection for profit is in its wild-west stages / gold rush stages. Eventually, regulation will have to come into play, though companies such as Microsoft, who have banked everything on depending upon data-theft (it's the entire reason why Windows 10 was free / forced), will be in a pretty tough spot if suddenly it is put into law that a person's generated data is their property, and work with value, and that companies don't have a right to access, take, or sell it, except under explicit negotiation and contract with the person who the data belongs to.

On 25/11/2016 at 5:51 AM, ADM-Ntek said:

i know it is for security purposes. but how long until other get access by just waving enough money.

That's already the case, and it has been ever since before Windows 10. Microsoft's collection of people's data is a for-profit business endeavor, and they publicly declare that they compile the data they collect into business reports which they sell to other interested groups. Windows 10 is mostly a rehash of Windows 7 and 8, just designed to generate as much data off of people as possible, so that it can be sold for profit. That's why there's been such an intense propaganda campaign to get as many people using Windows 10 as possible, and why it is so difficult in Windows 10 to disable updates, to turn off data-collection, to remove unwanted Windows apps, to change file associations... it's all designed to generate data to be collected.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

20 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

It isn't working then, as it only has 164,000 views.

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Windows 10, its what people crave

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

better keep it rolling, Jerry must become the next stallman 

As he uses Bing, Edge, Google, Chrome, etc. Need I say more?

The man is a hypocrite when it comes to privacy.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I wonder if I got that when I tried to disable all the telemetry...

You can try disable all you want.

But it wont be effective atall.

Windows10 is malware.

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

You can try to disable all you want.

But it wont be effective at all.

Oh, it can be. I can gut the OS for everything it's worth -Hell, I could probably tear it down and rewrite the bulk of it myself if I really wanted to.

The question is time.

Little tricks here and there should be sufficient, I've just gotta find everything I need to kill.

5 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Oh, it can be. I can gut the OS for everything it's worth -Hell, I could probably tear it down and rewrite the bulk of it myself if I really wanted to.

The question is time.

Little tricks here and there should be sufficient, I've just gotta find everything I need to kill.

Its just too rediculous that you have to protect yourself from your own operating system in the first place..

The data tracking and spying cannot be disabled, infact a certain amount of it is implemented at kernel level.

That people simply accept all the crap that Microsoft is doing to their users, because of convenience.

is realy beyond me.

But Windows10 will never be on my system at bare hardware level atall.

44 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

As he uses Bing, Edge, Google, Chrome, etc. Need I say more?

The man is a hypocrite when it comes to privacy.

You can't relate data-collection while using an online service to offline OS usage, because online services rely on data-transmission, and are free and the property of the free-service supplier. Windows is not free, even you accepted the free upgrade, your Windows license was still not free, you paid for it either when you bought a retail copy of Windows, or when you bought a new PC and it came with it, and your license was only upgraded, but remained your property.

People arguing that Microsoft's data-collection is OK because other online services collect data in some form are twisting and blurring the details, as a propaganda trick. And then more simplistic people think that they're being the smart ones by coping their arguments, without knowing what any of it means - which is a result that those who disseminate the original propaganda false arguments anticipate and depend upon.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

It's just too ridiculous that you have to protect yourself from your own operating system in the first place...

The data tracking and spying cannot be disabled, in fact a certain amount of it is implemented at kernel level.

That people simply accept all the crap that Microsoft is doing to their users, because of convenience, is really beyond me.

But Windows 10 will never be on my system at bare hardware level at all.

It is astonishingly stupid. I've been looking towards Linux ever since I put Win10 on my machine, but compatibility issues have made that difficult to seriously consider.

Why Microsoft isn't getting rammed mercilessly for their monopoly right now, I have no idea.

Regrettably, it seems like most Microsoft supporters have collectively lost their internet connections at this time and nobody is taking up the cause of defending this move at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------