Programbound cooling?

Eeglis
1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

If your NOCTUA fan is too loud at 20% duty, there is something wrong with that fan. (unless you are running the 3500RPM industrial fans)

For me the "too loud" equals as "I can hear it"

no idea what to put here

1 minute ago, pwn_intended said:

If your NOCTUA fan is too loud at 20% duty, there is something wrong with that fan. (unless you are running the 3500RPM industrial fans)

That's what I was referring to in fan quality previously.  My EK Vardar Extended Range fans are completely noise free below 700 or so RPMs.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

That's what I was referring to in fan quality previously.  My EK Vardar Extended Range fans are completely noise free below 700 or so RPMs.

Hmm, I doubt that that is a valid reason for RMA though.

no idea what to put here

1 minute ago, Eeglis said:

Hmm, I doubt that that is a valid reason for RMA though.

Fan noise as a reason for RMA.  ABSOLUTELY!!  I've sent back 2 of the 25 total in my rig simply due to noise.  I bought these fans specifically so that my computer is silent at idle.  If they made noise at low RPMs, they were returned.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Fan noise as a reason for RMA.  ABSOLUTELY!!  I've sent back 2 of the 25 total in my rig simply due to noise.  I bought these fans specifically so that my computer is silent at idle.  If they made noise at low RPMs, they were returned.

I'm going to RMA straight to noctua in that case.

no idea what to put here

1 minute ago, Eeglis said:

For me the "too loud" equals as "I can hear it"

I stand by my previous statement. You shouldn't be able to hear it when its below 40%. Noctua fans are considered some of the best quality and fans with really good acoustics.

If silence is your primary concern, look into fanless cpu coolers, that's about all I can suggest.

It sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too here. "hearing ANY fan is annoying" - then go and stick 8 fans in your computer.....

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I'm going to be pedantic and say it can't be noise free. Moving air makes sound. It may be that the sound of the fans and its airflow is close to the noise floor where you're sitting. I mean there's another option for OP right there, manipulate the environment so fan noise can't really be heard.

Also there's the temperature ramp up and ramp down time I saw in OP's motherboard software and they were both empty.

Just now, Eeglis said:

I'm going to RMA straight to noctua in that case.

Noctua is a great company and I would suspect that they will take care of you.

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

I stand by my previous statement. You shouldn't be able to hear it when its below 40%. Noctua fans are considered some of the best quality and fans with really good acoustics.

If silence is your primary concern, look into fanless cpu coolers, that's about all I can suggest.

It sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it too here. "hearing ANY fan is annoying" - then go and stick 8 fans in your computer.....

As I said, they just are there, they don't actually do anything, they're just turned off. I originally placed them there as a joke to my friend and haven't taken them out yet. Don't know about the fanless CPU coolers though. As far as I know their cooling performance isn't all that great.

no idea what to put here

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm going to be pedantic and say it can't be noise free. Moving air makes sound. It may be that the sound of the fans and its airflow is close to the noise floor where you're sitting. I mean there's another option for OP right there, manipulate the environment so fan noise can't really be heard.

Also there's the temperature ramp up and ramp down time I saw in OP's motherboard software and they were both empty.

Yeah, they are currently empty. I've tried fiddling around with them with poor results.

no idea what to put here

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think we all know that it can't literally be noise free.  In addition to the airflow, bearings will also produce some noise.

My noise floor is low.  My Synology NAS sounds like a garbage disposal when reading/writing compared to my main PC at idle because my home office is so quiet.

I would agree that shaping the noise floor could help, but in my case, I chose to make my PC as quiet as possible instead of changing the operating environment.

http://imgur.com/a/wngWw

This curve is currently working out for me quite well. Also when gaming I put 4 of my fans to LOW speed, I have no clue it means, since they are connected to case's fan controller.

no idea what to put here