1080 or save for Titan XP

XIIGravity

I have about $900, should i just get a GTX 1080 or save up for a Titan XP? Is it worth it?

Wait for 1080ti?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

1 minute ago, XIIGravity said:

I have about $900, should i just get a GTX 1080 or save up for a Titan XP? Is it worth it?

900$ USD? What's your current setup? If you can wait, 1080ti should be out at Q1 2017 and go for around 900$ and give the same or so performance as the titan XP. If you can't wait, get a 1070 instead. It has plenty of performance and it will keep its value way better than the 1080 or the titan xp when the 1080ti gets out.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Get the 1080. The Titan XP is only 20% faster. Donn't wait for an unreleased card either, you will regret it.   

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

Get the 1080. The Titan XP is only 20% faster. Donn't wait for an unreleased card either, you will regret it.   

what are you on about? 

Get the 1080ti, will have basically identical performance to the xp but with less vram

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

what are you on about? 

Get the 1080ti, will have basically identical performance to the xp but with less vram

Technically, if the rumored numbers are true, it might actually even give you better gaming performance by a few % (3 to 5)

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Just now, TheRedViper said:

Technically, if the rumored numbers are true, it might actually even give you better gaming performance by a few % (3 to 5)

not without oc, nivida are many things but they're not that stupid 

The Titan XP costs almost 200% more for 25% more performance. Unless you need double precision floating point performance, don't get a Titan XP.

The GTX 1080 Ti should be considerably cheaper, but the cost to performance difference should be closer to 1:1.

EDIT: Oh wait, I found out Titan XP doesn't have better FP64 capabilities. Welp now there's literally no reason to get it.

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

what are you on about? 

Oh, so you have a 1080ti and have run benchmarks? How could you  possibly know? Just Speculation.

not without oc, nivida are many things but they're not that stupid 

well of course, I was talking fully OCed vs fully OCed

Save up for 1080ti.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

Oh, so you have a 1080ti and have run benchmarks? How could you  possibly know? Just Speculation.

Because the delta between the 1080 and the titan xp are the the same as the delta between the 980 and the titan x. From that we can conclude that we will see around the same percentage increase in performance from the 1080ti as we did from the 980ti.

versus-Titan-X.jpg

9 minutes ago, XIIGravity said:

You do realize that's literally an April Fools article, right?

I'd say save for the Titan XP.  By the time you have enough, the 1080 Ti will be out and you can just get that with a little left over ;) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Because the delta between the 1080 and the titan xp are the the same as the delta between the 980 and the titan x. From that we can conclude that we will see around the same percentage increase in performance from the 1080ti. 

versus-Titan-X.jpg

Still just a guess. No way to know.

2 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

well of course, I was talking fully OCed vs fully OCed

with that said, if i remember correctly the 980ti ran hotter than the 980. So it will be interesting to see what OC's people get 

Oh lol my bad. I think i will wait for the 1080 ti thanks guys! :P

with that said, if i remember correctly the 980ti ran hotter than the 980. So it will be interesting to see what OC's people get 

Personally I think anything like a titan or 80ti should be watercooled, but thats me.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You do realize that's literally an April Fools article, right?

I'd say save for the Titan XP.  By the time you have enough, the 1080 Ti will be out and you can just get that with a little left over ;) 

"That man is smart, give that man a cookie."give-that-man-a-cookie.jpg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

21 minutes ago, XIIGravity said:

you do realise that's an april fools hoax? and if you did, its not really relevant now as "that boat has sailed"

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P