I just about given up on SSDs

revolcane

Hello, new here. I build PC's as a hobby due in part of Youtube PC channels including this. I built my main PC last year to replacing my aging q6600 DDR2 system with an AM3+ DDR3. I decided to follow the advise of using an SSD as the Windows boot drive. I started with a SanDisk SDSSDP-128G 128gb and that died 6 months later. I used an old 160gb mechanical drive to supplement until I can get another SSD. A couple of weeks later I got a Toshiba Q300 HDTS712 120 GB drive (and had a bitch of a time cloning my Windows drive to it). Just now that died! I found my 160gb spare drive to not have to reinstall Windows. I know it was probably a fluke to have 2 different model SSDs die on me in such a short time but SSDs ave left a bad taste in my mouth, That's $100 down the drain and lost hours in setting up windows again. Now I have lost mechanical drives before (2 died because of improper PSU cables [modular], and another one smoked due to being an old drive i found in storage and God knows what it went through) but the majority of mechanical drives I have used have lasted when stored and used properly (even the PATA ones!).

If there's anything wrong with my PC causing this, I'll find out.

System:

AMD FX-8350 (Stock)

16GB 1600MHz PNY Anarchy RAM

MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard

MSI RX-480 8GB GPU

Raidmax 735 Watt PSU

If you have a good quality PSU and a good quality SSD like Samsung EVO none of it would be an issue. The only issue is money though...

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

If you have a good quality PSU and a good quality SSD like Samsung EVO none of it would be an issue. The only issue is money though...

My first PSU for the build was a Coolmax 600 Watt (now serving another PC) and then a Corsair 650 Watt (forgot the model) that died. Yeah, if I threw gobs of money on any rig I will get better results, maybe later as I tend to spend money on other rigs (with cheaper parts :P) I still have an SSD in the rig that houses my Skyrim game and we'll see what happens with that. 

6 minutes ago, revolcane said:

Hello, new here. I build PC's as a hobby due in part of Youtube PC channels including this. I built my main PC last year to replacing my aging q6600 DDR2 system with an AM3+ DDR3. I decided to follow the advise of using an SSD as the Windows boot drive. I started with a SanDisk SDSSDP-128G 128gb and that died 6 months later. I used an old 160gb mechanical drive to supplement until I can get another SSD. A couple of weeks later I got a Toshiba Q300 HDTS712 120 GB drive (and had a bitch of a time cloning my Windows drive to it). Just now that died! I found my 160gb spare drive to not have to reinstall Windows. I know it was probably a fluke to have 2 different model SSDs die on me in such a short time but SSDs ave left a bad taste in my mouth, That's $100 down the drain and lost hours in setting up windows again. Now I have lost mechanical drives before (2 died because of improper PSU cables [modular], and another one smoked due to being an old drive i found in storage and God knows what it went through) but the majority of mechanical drives I have used have lasted when stored and used properly (even the PATA ones!).

System:

AMD FX-8350 (Stock)

MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard

MSI RX-480 8GB GPU

Raidmax 735 Watt PSU

Please, stop using the shittiest SSD you can get your hands on and get a MX300 or 850 EVO. 

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I second this! I usually vouch for Samsung or Intel SSD. For a power supply i'd definitely recommend an EVGA Supernova Gold Certified PSU from 650W to 750W, most of CoolerMaster's recent PSU's are also pretty solid. IMO nothing really beats out the Corsair AHi, EVGA Supernova and BeQuiet!'s Platinum rated PSUs. I generally prefer using Seagate Barracuda hard drives, mines lasted for 7 years+ and its still alive, I just got a new one about a week ago cause I needed more space. But yeah money would be the only issue..

10 minutes ago, revolcane said:

System:

AMD FX-8350 (Stock)

MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard

MSI RX-480 8GB GPU

Raidmax 735 Watt PSU

I also generally avoid MSI AM3+ boards, mine bricked on me. I'd go for the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 or most of the ASRock Motherboards. And if you're trying to save money and wait later, wait for Zen to come out! :)

1 minute ago, MimigaKing said:

Please, stop using the shittiest SSD you can get your hands on and get a MX300 or 850 EVO. 

Maybe I will one day when money is right. I have other projects that need my wallet so this will be for later.

Those drives are not too far out of reach so it's doable later. I do take offense when people just flat out tell me "buy more expensive stuffs" to solve a problem. I always think that if you want me to spend more money, then I'll give you my Paypal account so you can send me some.

2 minutes ago, Rynell said:

I also generally avoid MSI AM3+ boards, mine bricked on me. I'd go for the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 or most of the ASRock Motherboards. And if you're trying to save money and wait later, wait for Zen to come out! :)

I am waiting for Zen, that will be my bonus/tax refund build.

6 minutes ago, revolcane said:

Those drives are not too far out of reach so it's doable later. I do take offense when people just flat out tell me "buy more expensive stuffs" to solve a problem.

There are quality ones that are not more expensive than the ones you're getting in most countries.

I would recommend getting a quality PSU before improving your storage capacity if you've had problems with it in the past. What country are you in?

1 minute ago, MaxBunny said:

There are quality ones that are not more expensive than the ones you're getting in most countries.

I would recommend getting a quality PSU before improving your storage capacity if you've had problems with it in the past. What country are you in?

United States. Please don't recommend a more expensive PSU, I already mentioned spending more money at this time is not convenient. I used a Coolmax 600 watt prior to the Raidmax and that is humming along just fine on another build.

Just now, revolcane said:

United States. Please don't recommend a more expensive PSU, I already mentioned spending more money at this time is not convenient. I used a Coolmax 600 watt prior to the Raidmax and that is humming along just fine on another build.

All PSUs run fine until they don't. It's more about how big and random the fluctuation are. Better PSUs will have more control over that. You might see it as a "more expensive" investment, but those of us with quality PSUs aren't burning through 4 storage drives either ($250~ right there). So technically we're saving money. :P

3 minutes ago, revolcane said:

Why did not consult others before buying PSU? Our forum could have certainly helped you avoid such disaster

5 minutes ago, revolcane said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/26/exploding_computer_vs_reg_reader/ want this to happen? no? get rid of that raidmax. only their highest-end units aren't complete fire hazards. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

22 minutes ago, revolcane said:

Maybe I will one day when money is right. I have other projects that need my wallet so this will be for later.

Those drives are not too far out of reach so it's doable later. I do take offense when people just flat out tell me "buy more expensive stuffs" to solve a problem. I always think that if you want me to spend more money, then I'll give you my Paypal account so you can send me some.

look for the drives with 5 year warranty. All that is available to me with that warranty is certain models of Intel and Samsung. Iv had an Intel 520 for about 5 years.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Why did not consult others before buying PSU? Our forum could have certainly helped you avoid such disaster

This is not my first run building PC's. I have have had inexpensive PSUs before on other rigs with no issue. I don't even know if this was a PSU issue. I mention a PSU that is not $200 plus and people freak! I did have a Corsair 650 watt before that was around $120 and THAT died!

I checked reviews for the Raidmax 735 Watt and i have not seen any trending issues (I see people complain about expensive PSU's as well).

Everytime I ask for help on PC's (and other matters) I always get "spends mores moneys" as a solution. It's irritating.

I know, silly question, but what about warranty on that drives? As they all died within a short amount of time, there should be a way to get it covered by warranty.

And although PSU is not that great, i don't think its the only reason. You might have had very bad luck too.

One last advice: buy higher quality (and in most cases more expensive) parts in the first place, otherwise you'll buy twice and spend more money than with good parts from the start

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

6 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/26/exploding_computer_vs_reg_reader/ want this to happen? no? get rid of that raidmax. only their highest-end units aren't complete fire hazards. 

That article did not mention anything about a Raidmax....

You gonna give me the money for it? Read my previous posts! I am not spending money when I can find decent innexpensive units!

I was half expecting you to post a store you own to buy a $1000 1500 Watt PSU :P

See, great example of using "expensive = good" argument to to solve things. If you're rich, good for you, I'm not and I've seen old as crap PC components last (and function properly) for years. I'm not Linus who uses Titan XPS as drinking coasters!

Sorry to all if I'm a bit upset, but I did post earlier that it bugs me when people tell me to spend more money to solve problems.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, revolcane said:

I started with a SanDisk SDSSDP-128G 128gb and that died 6 months later.

A couple of weeks later I got a Toshiba Q300 HDTS712 120 GB drive (and had a bitch of a time cloning my Windows drive to it). Just now that died!

Raidmax 735 Watt PSU

1. You didn't buy Samsung or Crucial MX200/MX300 SSDs to start with
  2. You replaced the first SSD with a non-Samsung or Crucial MX200/MX300 SSD
  3. Your power supply is quite literally a fire hazard waiting to happen, which is probably the real reason your SSDs died
    Toshiba and SanDisk SSDs aren't actually that bad, I'm just a stickler for quality you get from Samsung or Crucial MX200/MX300 drives

I would first replace your power supply with something that isn't going to explode, burn your house down, or kill more SSDs.

Then get a Samsung Evo or Crucial MX200/MX300 SSD, and call it good.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:
  1. You didn't buy Samsung or Crucial MX200/MX300 SSDs to start with
  2. You replaced the first SSD with a non-Samsung or Crucial MX200/MX300 SSD
  3. Your power supply is quite literally a fire hazard waiting to happen, which is probably the real reason your SSDs died
    Toshiba and SanDisk SSDs aren't actually that bad, I'm just a stickler for quality you get from Samsung or Crucial MX200/MX300 drives

I would first replace your power supply with something that isn't going to explode, burn your house down, or kill more SSDs.

Then get a Samsung Evo or Crucial MX200/MX300 SSD, and call it good.

What would you recommend at around $75 for PSU?

3 minutes ago, revolcane said:

What would you recommend at around $75 for PSU?

Buy one of these and you can be happy knowing that the power supply will prevent you from shorting out your components or electrocuting yourself.

EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I know it's above your price range, but seriously, it's one of the best high quality PSUs in the low-medium price range you can currently buy.

I've used this exact PSU in around 4 builds in the last year, 3 of which were friends PCs and 1 of which is my personal PC I'm using now.

Why do I say it will prevent shorts and electrocution? Well, because I'm clearly too insane to be building PCs without supervision.

I may or may not have shorted out my computer by bridging circuits holding a completely exposed paperclip in my right hand. Oops.

Nevermind my hand; I thought I had killed my brand new PC when it arc'd and powered down, but, thankfully, the PSU detected a short.

It cut power via its' internal eFuse, which I corrected by flipping the switch on the back of the PSU to OFF for a few seconds, then back ON again.

My $500+ worth of SSDs, i7-4790K CPU, and MSI Z97M motherboard were all OK; no harm done. SO BUY A DECENT PSU AND BE SAFE. :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Buy one of these and you can be happy knowing that the power supply will prevent you from shorting out your components or electrocuting yourself.

EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I know it's above your price range, but seriously, it's one of the best high quality PSUs in the low-medium price range you can currently buy.

I've used this exact PSU in around 4 builds in the last year, 3 of which were friends PCs and 1 of which is my personal PC I'm using now.

Why do I say it will prevent shorts and electrocution? Well, because I'm clearly too insane to be building PCs without supervision.

I may or may not have shorted out my computer by bridging circuits holding a completely exposed paperclip in my right hand. Oops.

Nevermind my hand; I thought I had killed my brand new PC when it arc'd and powered down, but, thankfully, the PSU detected a short.

It cut power via its' internal eFuse, which I corrected by flipping the switch on the back of the PSU to OFF for a few seconds, then back ON again.

My $500+ worth of SSDs, i7-4790K CPU, and MSI Z97M motherboard were all OK; no harm done. SO BUY A DECENT PSU AND BE SAFE. :) 

Will buy when I have cash, thanks.

13 hours ago, revolcane said:

My first PSU for the build was a Coolmax 600 Watt (now serving another PC) and then a Corsair 650 Watt (forgot the model) that died. Yeah, if I threw gobs of money on any rig I will get better results, maybe later as I tend to spend money on other rigs (with cheaper parts :P) I still have an SSD in the rig that houses my Skyrim game and we'll see what happens with that. 

Well those are both (probably for the Corsair, they have lots of units but I assume you had a VS) pretty shit PSUs so they potentially could be killing your SSDs.

That said, even shit SSDs are just flash memory thats relatively slow, not explosive like yours seem to be. Try a nicer SSD like a Samsung 850 EVO or something like that as well as get a new PSU that's at least tier 3 in my PSU tier list in my signature and you should be problem-free.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 21-11-2016 at 6:55 AM, revolcane said:

This is not my first run building PC's. I have have had inexpensive PSUs before on other rigs with no issue. I don't even know if this was a PSU issue. I mention a PSU that is not $200 plus and people freak! I did have a Corsair 650 watt before that was around $120 and THAT died!

I checked reviews for the Raidmax 735 Watt and i have not seen any trending issues (I see people complain about expensive PSU's as well).

Everytime I ask for help on PC's (and other matters) I always get "spends mores moneys" as a solution. It's irritating.

Then STOP COMPLAINING when things go wrong. Sure you can go to a restaurant that offers a 3 course meal for 10 bucks. But don't fucking complain if the food is bad. 

There's plenty of red flags on that PSU in the reviews. It's plain and simple. Yes you can skimp on quality. But it's taking a gamble. Might go well, might go well. Yours is a good example of the gamble going bad. Don't blame it on SSDs. Blame it on yourself.

There are good reasons why most people here recommend not to skimp on the PSU quality. You don't even have to spend a fortune on the platinum level ones. There are plenty of good gold level ones that  are incredibly reliable. Given the 100$ you already flushed down the drain (why not claim warranty on the drives?) you are already worse off than if you had just bought a proper PSU.

Corsair RMx series is also a pretty good value and reliable. But you can always look up reviews on johnnyguru and other sites to make a good choice. Remember that different lines of the same brand can vary wildly in build quality.