I just about given up on SSDs

revolcane
12 hours ago, revolcane said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139192

Found a decent PSU at a good price so I hope I placate the PC gods who get freaked out at budget PSU's. I will be migrating the Raidmax to a later build (OMG!). I will be running off of a 160gb mechanical for boot drive for a while.

You do realize that the original comes with a 10 year warranty, and this refurbished version only comes with 90 days, right?

So keep that in mind when you want to create a topic 2 years for now titled "I have given up on expensive PSUs", complaining Corsair ripped you off because your expensive PSU died and they're not replacing it, they're all a bunch of ripoffs, and the PC overlords should go to hell.

Again, it's your choice. It's perfectly fine buying cheap, refurbished, or crappy stuff. Just keep in mind that you're essentially taking a gamble and voiding your right to complain. You take the gamble, and if you lose...well... that's why it's called gambling.

By the way, since you mentioned swapping PSUs: did you also swap the cables? Or did you keep using the older cables with the new PSUs?

On 11/22/2016 at 7:55 AM, Jovidah said:

By the way, since you mentioned swapping PSUs: did you also swap the cables? Or did you keep using the older cables with the new PSUs?

I only use the cables that come with the actual PSU they belong to.

On 11/22/2016 at 7:42 AM, Jovidah said:

Then STOP COMPLAINING when things go wrong. Sure you can go to a restaurant that offers a 3 course meal for 10 bucks. But don't fucking complain if the food is bad. 

There's plenty of red flags on that PSU in the reviews. It's plain and simple. Yes you can skimp on quality. But it's taking a gamble. Might go well, might go well. Yours is a good example of the gamble going bad. Don't blame it on SSDs. Blame it on yourself.

There are good reasons why most people here recommend not to skimp on the PSU quality. You don't even have to spend a fortune on the platinum level ones. There are plenty of good gold level ones that  are incredibly reliable. Given the 100$ you already flushed down the drain (why not claim warranty on the drives?) you are already worse off than if you had just bought a proper PSU.

Corsair RMx series is also a pretty good value and reliable. But you can always look up reviews on johnnyguru and other sites to make a good choice. Remember that different lines of the same brand can vary wildly in build quality.

My complaint was about SSD's, not PSU's. I have begun the Warranty process on both, but I might end up using them on other projects. I posted this thread because I was seeing if anyone else had SSD concerns and hoping this didn't turn into a discussion on buying more $$$$ is best debate (though I had a feeling it might). I thought my thoughts were a valid post to see if anyone felt the same, well I learned my lesson. It's cool, I got the same response from Tom's Hardware and it seems the PC folks doesn't take too kindly to certain products.

PSU has not blown up on me yet, I think I'll build another rig with it with cheaper parts and just see if it does. I'll also be counting the days it stays working :P

11 hours ago, revolcane said:

My complaint was about SSD's, not PSU's. I have begun the Warranty process on both, but I might end up using them on other projects. I posted this thread because I was seeing if anyone else had SSD concerns and hoping this didn't turn into a discussion on buying more $$$$ is best debate (though I had a feeling it might). I thought my thoughts were a valid post to see if anyone felt the same, well I learned my lesson. It's cool, I got the same response from Tom's Hardware and it seems the PC folks doesn't take too kindly to certain products.

PSU has not blown up on me yet, I think I'll build another rig with it with cheaper parts and just see if it does. I'll also be counting the days it stays working :P

Your complaint might not be about PSU's but there's a very good chance they caused your problems. Your trying to get the cheapest bargain basement stuff, skimping on quality, and then complain about how SSDs are shit. 

No one here is saying you should get the most expensive platinum level crap, but you have to at least reach a minimum treshold of quality to be in any position to be complain. Same with the SSDs; if you had bought a Samsung 850 EVO there was only a 0,5% chance it'd ever fail on you. But those were probably 'too expensive'. 

This is like going to Macdonalds, and then posting online about how 'Restaurants aren't worth it' because the food there was bad. Of course it was, you getwhat you pay for.

It's not that we don't take kindly to certain products, it's just that it's common for people to use crappy PSUs and then complain when all kinds of random nasty stuff happens. Components dying, random crashes, instability issues; they often lead back to a shit PSU. Crap components are often cheap for a reason. 

I'm far from rich either... but I always made it a priority to buy quality stuff, even if it means saving up longer or foregoing things like a few beers or other comforts in real life. You might think that's stupid. But in the last 20 years I've only had 1 casefan, 1 CPU fan die on me - of old age. Nother else ever failed. My computers never have any problems.