What in the world happened?

EJOE
14 minutes ago, EJOE said:

It happened on Space Engineers twice in a row. it seems to be the more high performance games that it crashes on. But even if it did happen once I still have warnings criticals and risks under my event viewer.

Also my GPU is a 960 Asus Strix so should I get my drivers from Nvidia or Asus?

Nvidia.  I would definitely reinstall your drivers and see if your issues clear up.

30 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Nvidia.  I would definitely reinstall your drivers and see if your issues clear up.

After I reinstall drivers should I check the Event Viewer?

15 minutes ago, EJOE said:

After I reinstall drivers should I check the Event Viewer?

Nah, just see if your games still crash.  You'll just want to check the errors that occur at the time of your next crash if it happens.

I usually don't even bother with logs (event viewer) most of the time unless it's application or game specific. 

Nah, just see if your games still crash.  You'll just want to check the errors that occur at the time of your next crash if it happens.

I usually don't even bother with logs (event viewer) most of the time unless it's application or game specific. 

That's weird, What is all the other crap about then? (in the viewer)

Also I'm picking up a gtx 1060. I was also planning to pick up a new cpu... But should I switch my PSU? Just because of this?

1 hour ago, Biggerboot said:

Mainly your GPU.  Typically you can just update your drivers to the latest version by going on Nvidia's site.  But we usually recommend DDU around here because sometimes the update can cause issues.  When troubleshooting game performance/stability issues it's best to try removing your drivers with DDU first, then re-installing them through Nvidia's site.

I wouldn't bother if it's the first time.  It may have been a fluke.  Like I mentioned a few posts ago, you should start worrying when it's happening on multiple games.  You may want to eventually invest in a better PSU, but for now you should be safe.

Alright I got it. I just saw this but it checked off remove PhysX and save log files in startup path. Is that what I should've chose? Because it is in the middle of the process of "starting regular cleanup. But it got stuck and said it wasn't successful but then a box popped up about how it set it to not automatically redownload drivers

I think it's okay, because I restarted and I was in a large resolution. Which usually happens when drivers are not downloaded (from my experience)

9 minutes ago, EJOE said:

That's weird, What is all the other crap about then?

If you're referring to Event Viewer - it's kind of an advanced way to troubleshoot hardware issues, and sometimes the OS doesn't report power failures or even software failures consistently.  

A lot of the errors you can get can have commonalities (like trying to diagnose your own health through just the symptoms).  Somebody else mentioned earlier that you could try it to look for an error type that would be common in a PSU failure, but in my experience it's usually just simpler to diagnose one part of your computer at a time until you find the culprit.

6 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Also I'm picking up a gtx 1060. I was also planning to pick up a new cpu... But should I switch my PSU? Just because of this?

I wouldn't do everything all at once.  PSU first once you've tried everything.  Get your system stable.  The Corsair CX500 isn't the best unit around.  Check this thread out.

3 minutes ago, EJOE said:

I think it's okay, because I restarted and I was in a large resolution. Which usually happens when drivers are not downloaded (from my experience)

That's what you want.  Now go here and download the drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

If you're referring to Event Viewer - it's kind of an advanced way to troubleshoot hardware issues, and sometimes the OS doesn't report power failures or even software failures consistently.  

A lot of the errors you can get can have commonalities (like trying to diagnose your own health through just the symptoms).  Somebody else mentioned earlier that you could try it to look for an error type that would be common in a PSU failure, but in my experience it's usually just simpler to diagnose one part of your computer at a time until you find the culprit.

I wouldn't do everything all at once.  PSU first once you've tried everything.  Get your system stable.  The Corsair CX500 isn't the best unit around.  Check this thread out.

That's what you want.  Now go here and download the drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Yes, I've officially reinstalled the drivers. I think I'm going to get a new PSU and the 1060. Also with the viewer, you said its and advanced way to see hardware failures. But there must be failures if there are only criticals, warnings, and risks. Doesn't that mean something is wrong somewhere?

2 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Yes, I've officially reinstalled the drivers. I think I'm going to get a new PSU and the 1060. Also with the viewer, you said its and advanced way to see hardware failures. But there must be failures if there are only criticals, warnings, and risks. Doesn't that mean something is wrong somewhere?

Criticals are the only thing you really need to worry about - usually the indication of a blue screen or unexpected shutdown.  The operating system is constantly doing things in the background that could cause warnings and risks, it's normal for it to do so.  Errors and warning can just come from something normal like saving a document or installing programs.

I'll just show you mine for reference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1l2-DuTQLR8bjB1cFdzU1NkQjg

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Criticals are the only thing you really need to worry about - usually the indication of a blue screen or unexpected shutdown.  The operating system is constantly doing things in the background that could cause warnings and risks, it's normal for it to do so.  Errors and warning can just come from something normal like saving a document or installing programs.

I'll just show you mine for reference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1l2-DuTQLR8bjB1cFdzU1NkQjg

So what about the criticals I've had? A few from space engineers and one from Tomb Raider. I haven't had one yet (knock on wood)

17 minutes ago, EJOE said:

So what about the criticals I've had? A few from space engineers and one from Tomb Raider. I haven't had one yet (knock on wood)

Event viewer logs each unexpected showdown that occurs on your machine.  That's what those criticals are, logs of your computer either blue screening or losing power.  If you want to troubleshoot them you can try looking at their error codes (google them even).  But again, it's not something I bother with for this type of problem.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

Event viewer logs each unexpected showdown that occurs on your machine.  That's what those criticals are, logs of your computer either blue screening or losing power.  If you want to troubleshoot them you can try looking at their error codes (google them even).  But again, it's not something I bother with for this type of problem.

Okay thanks for the free tech support (I saw your bio lol) one last thing what else could it be other than the psu?

24 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Okay thanks for the free tech support (I saw your bio lol) one last thing what else could it be other than the psu?

Haha, np.

Usually if your computer resets or shuts down with no warning or blue screen error, it's likely losing power momentarily due to the PSU.  Especially since you mentioned it happens in more intense games, where there's more stress on the PSU, it makes me think it's more likely to be that.

It could be the video card, but you mentioned it doesn't overheat.  More likely issues you would see is artifacting or games crashing.  Sometimes they can lock up a PC, but usually that's caused by the driver/firmware, which we tried re-installing.

What makes the PSU tricky to diagnose through software is that it can fail to deliver power correctly even when it appears you system powers up fine.  I've actually seen it where my framerates improved after changing PSUs, because the GPU wasn't getting enough power.  That's why I say the Event Viewer isn't always great at diagnosing a bad PSU, because a bad PSU can effect your PC in different ways and return different types of errors, or the same error (like an unexpected shutdown) can have many different causes.  But powering down/restarting with no warning is definitely a common symptom of bad PSU.

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Haha, np.

Usually if your computer resets or shuts down with no warning or blue screen error, it's likely losing power momentarily due to the PSU.  Especially since you mentioned it happens in more intense games, where there's more stress on the PSU, it makes me think it's more likely to be that.

It could be the video card, but you mentioned it doesn't overheat.  More likely issues you would see is artifacting or games crashing.  Sometimes they can lock up a PC, but usually that's caused by the driver/firmware, which we tried re-installing.

What makes the PSU tricky to diagnose through software is that it can fail to deliver power correctly even when it appears you system powers up fine.  I've actually seen it where my framerates improved after changing PSUs, because the GPU wasn't getting enough power.  That's why I say the Event Viewer isn't always great at diagnosing a bad PSU, because a bad PSU can effect your PC in different ways and return different types of errors.  But powering down/restarting with no warning is definitely a common symptom of bad PSU.

Well I think I can get the problem solved because I'm upgraded both my PSU and GPU. Good stuff. Thanks a lot for dealing with my inexperience lol

On November 20, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Biggerboot said:

Haha, np.

What makes the PSU tricky to diagnose through software is that it can fail to deliver power correctly even when it appears you system powers up fine.  I've actually seen it where my framerates improved after changing PSUs, because the GPU wasn't getting enough power.  That's why I say the Event Viewer isn't always great at diagnosing a bad PSU, because a bad PSU can effect your PC in different ways and return different types of errors, or the same error (like an unexpected shutdown) can have many different causes.  But powering down/restarting with no warning is definitely a common symptom of bad PSU.

Hey, I know I haven't been on the conversation. But now all the sudden my computer is stuck at the motherboard startup screen that says as rock. For a long time and then goes away an loads. What could this be?