What in the world happened?

EJOE

Hello I was playing Rise of the Tomb raider at a steady 40-60 FPS with these specs http://pcpartpicker.com/list/9VLNvV. It was running fine when all the sudden the game paused during a cinematic scene. I heard a loud click click click sound that was defined and deep and many times. And all the sudden my computer turned off it didn't turned off it was like I hit the refresh button on the pc that kind of just refreshes and brings me to the ASROCK screen like it does when it starts. The only other time this has happened was when I was playing Space Engineers.

Check event viewer. You may be having a failing psu. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Overheating?

probably not, I have four fans and no hot air is coming out of em.

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

How do I check? Also if I had to get a part to fail I would choose the PSU just because it was the least expensive part. But then again a cheap PSU isn't good.

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I got into event viewer  now what?

Sounds like you hard drive just died .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I have an SSD, the hard drive that is on the part picker list is In my room.

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Sounds like you hard drive just died .

My comment is above

13 minutes ago, EJOE said:

I got into event viewer  now what?

Go into Windows search/Cortana and search "event viewer". When it opens up, scan through for any errors that say critical. Don't ever skimp out on a psu; it's the only part that can die and drag the rest of the system Down with it. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

Go into Windows search/Cortana and search "event viewer". When it opens up, scan throis go for any errors that say critical. Don't ever skimp out on a psu; it's the only part that can die and drag the rest of the system Down with it. 

There was a critical error in custom views when I opened it up it said Administrative events there are 1043 events that are warning or critical.

12 minutes ago, EJOE said:

There was a critical error in custom views when I opened it up it said Administrative events there are 1043 events that are warning or critical.

Look for the ones most close to the time of the resets. I expect it to be a critical kernel power error but I may be wrong. 

the one closest was a couple minutes ago a warning. The one closest to the crash was. Wait that's weird ive been getting warnings and errors and critical errors for months.... But yeah the one closest to the crash was a critical error.

27 minutes ago, EJOE said:

the one closest was a couple minutes ago a warning. The one closest to the crash was. Wait that's weird ive been getting warnings and errors and critical errors for months.... But yeah the one closest to the crash was a critical error.

Critical error means that Windows process's crashed. They don't always result in a system crash though. What was the critical error description? It should give a brief explanation of the error. 

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Critical error means that Windows process's crashed. They don't always result in a system crash though. What was the critical error description? It should give a brief explanation of the error. 

Stuff like Kernel-Event Tracing, Event Log, Search, NDIS, ESENT, WLAN - Auto config, Device Setup manager, Distributed COM, Service Control Manager, and App-ModelRuntime

Is this happening on other games?  Try a benchmark tool perhaps. 

Checking the event viewer may help narrow the problem, but also see if the issue isn't specific to Tomb Raider (check the game's logs if so).

If you have determined the issue is happening in multiple games:

-Disable any overclocks, if you have any.

-Try re-installing the video drivers via DDU.

-You can also run memtest and crystaldiskinfo to make absolutely sure it's not the RAM or SSD.

From there, try swapping or replacing the PSU.

10 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Is this happening on other games?  Try a benchmark tool perhaps. 

Checking the event viewer may help narrow the problem, but also see if the issue isn't specific to Tomb Raider (check the game's logs if so).

If you have determined the issue is happening in multiple games:

-Disable any overclocks, if you have any.

-Try re-installing the video drivers via DDU.

-You can also run memtest and crystaldiskinfo to make absolutely sure it's not the RAM or SSD.

From there, try swapping or replacing the PSU.

whats ddu?

Also I have crystal disk but how do I know if my results are good or bad in crystal disk?

1 minute ago, EJOE said:

whats ddu?

Also I have crystal disk but how do I know if my results are good or bad in crystal disk?

It'll say your drive's health status is good.

Spoiler

Main.png

DDU is freeware that will completely clean out your video drivers.

1 minute ago, Biggerboot said:

It'll say your drive's health status is good.

Hide contents

Main.png

DDU is freeware that will completely clean out your video drivers.

Mine looks different it doesn't have the health status just read and write columns with other stuff on it 

19 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Mine looks different it doesn't have the health status just read and write columns with other stuff on it 

I would just download it again and make sure you didn't just grab an old version by mistake (or got CDM instead of CDI).  If you see an 'unknown', it could be that you have SMART turned off or that CDI doesn't support that drive.

In that case, you can run oldschool chkdsk.

2 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

I would just download it again and make sure you didn't just grab an old version by mistake (or got CDM instead of CDI).  If you see an 'unknown', it could be that you have SMART turned off or that CDI doesn't support that drive.

My health status is good.

3 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

and I'm assuming my video drivers are for my monitor and gpu?

6 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

In that case, you can run oldschool chkdsk.

Also I dot think I mentioned that this whole time after the crash ive been playing without a hitch. Is that not a good idea?

8 minutes ago, EJOE said:

and I'm assuming my video drivers are for my monitor and gpu?

Mainly your GPU.  Typically you can just update your drivers to the latest version by going on Nvidia's site.  But we usually recommend DDU around here because sometimes the update can cause issues.  When troubleshooting game performance/stability issues it's best to try removing your drivers with DDU first, then re-installing them through Nvidia's site.

5 minutes ago, EJOE said:

Also I dot think I mentioned that this whole time after the crash ive been playing without a hitch. Is that not a good idea?

I wouldn't bother if it's the first time.  It may have been a fluke.  Like I mentioned a few posts ago, you should start worrying when it's happening on multiple games.  You may want to eventually invest in a better PSU, but for now you should be safe.

6 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Mainly your GPU.  Typically you can just update your drivers to the latest version by going on Nvidia's site.  But we usually recommend DDU around here because sometimes the update can cause issues.  When troubleshooting game performance/stability issues it's best to try removing your drivers with DDU first, then re-installing them through Nvidia's site.

I wouldn't bother if it's the first time.  It may have been a fluke.  Like I mentioned a few posts ago, you should start worrying when it's happening on multiple games.  You may want to eventually invest in a better PSU, but for now you should be safe.

It happened on Space Engineers twice in a row. it seems to be the more high performance games that it crashes on. But even if it did happen once I still have warnings criticals and risks under my event viewer.

Also my GPU is a 960 Asus Strix so should I get my drivers from Nvidia or Asus?