PPD Normal?

Go to solution Solved by Whaler_99,

300K? Maybe with two 780's. :)

But, as Levent says, make sure you have your flags set. Read the FAQ on enabled the client-type flag.

Also, if you just recently started, make sure you have a passkey - you don't get bonus points until you have completed 10 CPU WU's. 

Hi, I just recently started folding and as I am new to this I have no real frame of reference for what I should be getting PPD wise. I am running an AMD FX 8120 and two 7950's at stock clock. Right now I am getting anywhere from 4000 ish to 7800-ish PPD. From any body with more experience is this about where it should be? 

Thanks

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

no you should be getting around 300k or more are you using core17 beta?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

That is low PPD, but wait few hours and it should get back to normal (if you just started), i would say that you can get around 50k-150k PPD. :)

300K? Maybe with two 780's. :)

But, as Levent says, make sure you have your flags set. Read the FAQ on enabled the client-type flag.

Also, if you just recently started, make sure you have a passkey - you don't get bonus points until you have completed 10 CPU WU's. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Shit, I can get a combined 18-20,000 PPD with my Core i3 and GTX 650 Ti, you should get more than that off the bat.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi, I just recently started folding and as I am new to this I have no real frame of reference for what I should be getting PPD wise. I am running an AMD FX 8120 and two 7950's at stock clock. Right now I am getting anywhere from 4000 ish to 7800-ish PPD. From any body with more experience is this about where it should be? 

Thanks

That is low, 7950 should be able to get 70k each. As others have said, you won't earn any bonus points until you have done nearly a dozen work units.

.. Or you could try another side of distributed computing such and join the world of mining/using Crypto-Currencies.  Your two 7950's could pay for themselves ;) https://www.litecoinpool.org/calc?hashrate=1260&difficulty=1003.61068829&power=&energycost=0.10&currency=USD

Even if you have no interest in mining or helping to secure that network, I do believe everyone should get at least a basic understanding of Crypto-Currencies such as Bitcoin and Litecoin.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

That is low, 7950 should be able to get 70k each. As others have said, you won't earn any bonus points until you have done nearly a dozen work units.

.. Or you could try another side of distributed computing such and join the world of mining/using Crypto-Currencies.  Your two 7950's could pay for themselves ;) https://www.litecoinpool.org/calc?hashrate=1260&difficulty=1003.61068829&power=&energycost=0.10&currency=USD

Even if you have no interest in mining or helping to secure that network, I do believe everyone should get at least a basic understanding of Crypto-Currencies such as Bitcoin and Litecoin.

Before I started folding I had them running cgminer lite-coin mining.

I also am running the newest beta drivers so if I read it right that explains why I am only running at around 50% on the gpu's. I added the flags but am not sure how to get core 17 to work or install.

As for just starting its been running for a couple days, although I stopped it for a couple minutes earlier this morning.

Main rig: Coursair Air 540, Amd 8120(stock clock, had it up to 4.6), Gigabyte 990 fx ud3,  MSI DCU2 r9 280x, seasonic 1000w platinum, Samsung 830 64 GB ssd, Seagate 1tb, 4 GB (2x2) G.Skill, 

Secondary: Define r4, Amd A10 5800k(4.6), 1x Sapphire 7950, MSI FM2-A85xa, 8 GB coursair vengeance ram, Seasonic 1250w Gold, 500GB 840 Evo, 223GB 2.5 Hdd, 80 Gb Seasonic, Samsung CD/dvd

As long as you have the flags set, that is all you can do - then it is just luck of the draw if you get 17's or not.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

As long as you have the flags set, that is all you can do - then it is just luck of the draw if you get 17's or not.

Ok ,thanks.

Would you recommend doing client-type beta or advanced? or am i doing something wrong since only one seems to stay

edit: for the max units flag, will that stop F@H from running after that number of wu's has been completed?

You need to do advanced.  I talked about this a little while ago in another post... The beta are just that, VERY beta. There are Core17 beta projects right now, but they actually fail as often as they work for various reason's. They are meant for the actual beta testers who then upload results and such for the Pande group to better tweak. I had a beta core fail when I was testing because it couldn't figure out my card temp. Was expecting, based on Nvidia GPU, a temp between 45-100C. My 780 runs at 32C, so the WU just failed. :)

We were pretty lucky that the last group of Beta was so solid, but they have now been moved into a "advanced" cycle.

You need to do advanced.  I talked about this a little while ago in another post... The beta are just that, VERY beta. There are Core17 beta projects right now, but they actually fail as often as they work for various reason's. They are meant for the actual beta testers who then upload results and such for the Pande group to better tweak. I had a beta core fail when I was testing because it couldn't figure out my card temp. Was expecting, based on Nvidia GPU, a temp between 45-100C. My 780 runs at 32C, so the WU just failed. :)

We were pretty lucky that the last group of Beta was so solid, but they have now been moved into a "advanced" cycle.

Thanks for all the help

just looked at the link, and while that's what the cards should be getting, they would never consistently stay about even 500 kH/s. They would normally jump between 450 and spike up to about 550, but never stayed a constant rate. Not sure if it was drivers or what so I just kinda left it alone

just looked at the link, and while that's what the cards should be getting, they would never consistently stay about even 500 kH/s. They would normally jump between 450 and spike up to about 550, but never stayed a constant rate. Not sure if it was drivers or what so I just kinda left it alone

That could have been from a few different things. Getting a consistent speed of about 620-650, requires optimum settings and can take a fair bit of time increasing/decreasing clock speeds to find the perfect ratio, adjusting thread concurrency, intensity, and gpu threads. There's also latency, and variable difficulty from the pool which can play a factor in your overall hash rate/profitability. It can really be quite the balancing act to find the perfect settings and get the most out of the cards.

Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

That could have been from a few different things. Getting a consistent speed of about 620-650, requires optimum settings and can take a fair bit of time increasing/decreasing clock speeds to find the perfect ratio, adjusting thread concurrency, intensity, and gpu threads. There's also latency, and variable difficulty from the pool which can play a factor in your overall hash rate/profitability. It can really be quite the balancing act to find the perfect settings and get the most out of the cards.

oh well, I have some ltc and ftc in storage, and I'm just going to leave my pc doing folding for now.

An update on the PPD, right now its at 155K, those flags really helped.

If you ever decide to go back to mining, make a thread or send me a pm and i'll try to help you get the max out of your cards.