[RUMOUR] AMD's Zen CPU rumoured to compete with high end intel for $300

cozz
32 minutes ago, MageTank said:

To be fair, both a friend and I got bad batches of the 3TB ST3000DM001's from Newegg. My friend ordered 6 drives for a NAS, and 2 arrived DOA, and another failed not too long ago (only after about a year of owning them). I ordered 4, and one was DOA. Though, I tend to blame Fedex and their awful shipping standards, as my box arrived completely crushed, as if someone ran it over with a forklift then threw it on the truck anyways.

I should point out that Seagate was very helpful to both of us, and we got new drives (same model, but they worked) after returning them to Newegg. They also replaced the drive that died after a year for my friend, so at least their CS is nice. 

I don't know if they've started to address the issue, but NewEgg is NOTORIOUS for being a HDD killer. They often underpack their HDD's, especially in smaller orders. Not saying this was the case with you, but it's entirely possible.

I have 3 or so ST3000DM001's, which I bought from various sources, some were shipped, but most were picked up in-store at CanadaComputers - all of mine are fully functional. None were DOA (In fact, I've yet to have a DOA HDD happen at all).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I don't know if they've started to address the issue, but NewEgg is NOTORIOUS for being a HDD killer. They often underpack their HDD's, especially in smaller orders. Not saying this was the case with you, but it's entirely possible.

I have 3 or so ST3000DM001's, which I bought from various sources, some were shipped, but most were picked up in-store at CanadaComputers - all of mine are fully functional. None were DOA (In fact, I've yet to have a DOA HDD happen at all).

Mine were packed fine (within the box) but as I said, the box itself was crushed. I didn't just order HDD's in that order too, as it was back when I bought my Pentium G4400 and Panram DDR4 memory. Those both worked perfectly, as did 3 of the 4 drives. I've had awful luck with Fedex in general, as have my friends. Friend of mine ordered one of those XB271HU monitors and the box came, opened, with one quadrant of the monitor being much darker than the rest. Took him weeks to sort that issue out and get a new monitor. When I ordered my i5 6600T, it came through fedex, and arrived 16 days late. As recent as 2 months ago, Fedex lost a package with an Xbox One S controller and Internal Card Reader for a PC I was building for a customer, and then blamed Newegg for it, even though they never came to pick it up from their facility. 

I don't blame Seagate for my specific drive failure, as I am willing to bet it died during shipping. My friend, who lost his drive after a year, got amazing CS from Seagate, so even he isn't mad about the situation. He still continues to buy Seagate products to this very day (ST6000DX000's that he got in bulk off eBay). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

STOP!!! This is exactly what happened with the rx 480. Did we learn nothing from that?

3 minutes ago, EminentSun said:

STOP!!! This is exactly what happened with the rx 480. Did we learn nothing from that?

Anyone who isn't retarded already knows that this is total bullshit news. No way in hell a $300 CPU is competing with the i7-6900K segment. If their 8c/16t compares to the 6900K, it'll be priced similarly.

The problem with AMD hype is that they don't hype anything, and then these bullshit rumours appear (Which I highly doubt are started by AMD, since it bites them in the ass every time), and people just eat it up like candy.

The RX480 is a good card, but it couldn't possibly live up to the unrealistic expectations people gave it based on total horseshit rumours.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, EminentSun said:

And when did AMD tell you that the RX480 is going to be as powerful as a 980?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

And when did AMD tell you that the RX480 is going to be as powerful as a 980?

I think people confuse AMD for random news sites. I do recall seeing Ashes of the Singularity benchmarks showing the RX480 being on par with the GTX 980: 

NUnSCYx.png

However, this isn't AMD themselves hyping their cards. It's third party reviewers. An example of deceptive hype, would be Nvidia's "2x the performance of Maxwell" slides when Pascal launched, then in extremely small font at the bottom of the image, stating "in VR". You know, this image:

hVDirfw.jpg

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem with AMD hype is that they don't hype anything, and then these bullshit rumours appear (Which I highly doubt are started by AMD, since it bites them in the ass every time), and people just eat it up like candy.

Yeah, the "it's going to be awesome" rumours pop up before every AMD launch to set unrealistic expectations and make people disappointed, even if they would have been fine with the end result without said rumours.

I've always said I expect Ivy Bridge IPC from Zen, anything more will be a bonus, but I refuse to expect more.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

On 11/14/2016 at 6:58 PM, cozz said:

A rumour posted by Tweaktown sourced from reddit states that we could see AMD'z new CPU pack a whopping 8-core / 16 threads 

AMD_Zen_Specs.jpg

TweakTown then went on to say that back in August the CPU was hitting around 3.8Ghz, now we're seeing results of 4.2Ghz overclocked and 5Ghz using LN2

Original Post here

54945_01_amd-back-big-way-zen-intel-scared.jpg

AMD_Zen_Specs.jpg

$500 cad and sold for something that preforms similarly to 6900k.

$300 cad for smething that preforms simlaraly to 6700k and sold again.

did you know that $550 cad buys you a 6700k (excluding tax)?

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.