Two-thirds of the world's internet users live under government censorship - Freedom House Report

Internet Freedom is one of the most debated topics on...the Internet

A new report from Freedom House, a nonpartisan, nonprofit research organization, focuses on Internet Freedoms and Censorships

Two-thirds of all internet users – 67 percent – live in countries where criticism of the government, military, or ruling family are subject to censorship. Freedomonthenet.org

• Internet freedom around the world declined in 2016 for the sixth consecutive year.
  • Two-thirds of all internet users – 67 percent – live in countries where criticism of the government, military, or ruling family are subject to censorship.
  • Social media users face unprecedented penalties, as authorities in 38 countries made arrests based on social media posts over the past year. Globally, 27 percent of all internet users live in countries where people have been arrested for publishing, sharing, or merely “liking” content on Facebook.
  • Governments are increasingly going after messaging apps like WhatsApp and Telegram, which can spread information quickly and securely.

WhatsApp was blocked more than any other tool, while Facebook users were arrested for posting political, social, or religious content in 27 countries. Freedomonthenet.org.

I personally advocate for Internet freedom as I believe it is a right for people to be able to have access to it without being stopped or censored 

It is interesting to see that there are particular websites being blocked though most of them are social media platforms which are often battlegrounds for opinion

Countries like China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Russia are still up to the same censorship laws and rhetoric, in fact they got worse

I just hope more countries push for Internet Freedom rather than follow the trend of the aforementioned countries

Source: Freedom House

LOL this isn't surprising news, but what is surprising is that it's only two thirds?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Well the two largest populations in the world China and India fall under not free and partially free from my understanding, even some western countries could be argued as partially free so this isn't at all surprising.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well the two largest populations in the world China and India fall under not free and partially free from my understanding, even some western countries could be argued as partially free so this isn't at all surprising.

And with the Trump presidency, I see a certain western country becoming less free...

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I'd be more outraged if every service on that graph with the exception of Telegram wasn't spyware.

7 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

And with the Trump presidency, I see a certain western country becoming less free...

Doubtful, he planned on blocking foreigners who appear to have ties to ISIS, now communication online has been monitored for years so things deemed as credible threats would warrant investigation more than anything else.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, Ronda said:

I'd be more outraged if every service on that graph with the exception of Telegram wasn't spyware.

True, I actually block a few of these sites myself using an adblocker xD

10 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

right... not the other candidate who would have gone out of her way to block everything that can be defined as "hate speech" using today's standard where everything you say can be defined as hate speech if you are a man... a white man... a white straight man... a white straight man from a western country

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

right... not the other candidate who would have gone out of her way to block everything that can be defined as "hate speech" using today's standard where everything you say can be defined as hate speech if you are a man... a white man... a white straight man... a white straight man from a western country

You, I like you.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

11 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

You, I like you.

and i like you too

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Like closing up the internet :D

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

He's against Net Neutrality, openly. He's all for letting corporations decide and if corporations decide "this is hate speech" then he just fucking shot himself in the foot.

Surprised? You shouldn't be, this is how Republicans usually operate: self defeating policies.

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

He's against Net Neutrality, openly. He's all for letting corporations decide and if corporations decide "this is hate speech" then he just fucking shot himself in the foot.

Surprised? You shouldn't be, this is how Republicans usually operate: self defeating policies.

One thing is letting a company decide to do what they want on their own and sink in the process (Twitter), the other is legislating it 

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

One thing is letting a company decide to do what they want on their own and sink in the process (Twitter), the other is legislating it 

Twitter had issues before Jack took them into an SJW downward spiral (this is something Milo loves to overlook). You really think telecom giants will be in trouble if they censor the internet they serve to users? They have a defacto monopoly on many of the residencial areas they serve people literally have to sell their homes and move to get away from them, and you think the market will correct for them?

We already fucking decided that this companes are above the free market since they own monopolies on areas and do not compete with each other so how is this gonna be better if they have more power to censor and mold the internet into what they want?

-------

Current Rig

-------