100c CPU temp while stress testing Macbook Pro 2013

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

thats normal. All of the mpb's ive tested(about 5) get that hot under load. Ive had them at 100c for weeks and there fine.

So I got the top end MBP 2013 for $300 yay.

While under %100 CPU load the temps are around 100c (never above) but normally it's not that hot.

Is this bad? Should I take it apart and clean it?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Is it new or used. I think used. What kind of program need a full 100% cpu usage?

If it's used, try cleaning it out physically. Otherwise I guess that's just standard Macbook cooling for ya.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

While under %100 CPU load the temps are around 100c (never above) but normally it's not that hot.

Is this bad? Should I take it apart and clean it?

It's a pre-retina model, 100c is "normal" according to Apple. I used SMC fan control to keep my fans running during normal workload, but unfortunately the load temps on the pre-retina MacBooks were horrid.

2 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

It's a pre-retina model, 100c is "normal" according to Apple. I used SMC fan control to keep my fans running during normal workload, but unfortunately the load temps on the pre-retina MacBooks were horrid.

It's retina

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

6 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Does this look good?

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 8.42.25 PM.png

✨PC Specs✨

13 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

looks normal to me

7 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

It's retina

Oh, do you have the early 2013 model? If so then it uses an Ivy Bridge CPU, which can get a little toasty. It's still not good to run at 100c, but it's just the nature of the beast.

4 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Does this look good?

You will just have to play around with it and "optimize" it for you. 

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

Oh, do you have the early 2013 model? If so then it uses an Ivy Bridge CPU, which can get a little toasty. It's still not good to run at 100c, but it's just the nature of the beast.

It's a haswell CPU.

✨PC Specs✨

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

Also I'm afraid that if I base it (the fan controlling) on CPU temps then if the CPU is cool but the GPU isn't then the fans won't ramp up for it.

✨PC Specs✨

11 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Do you live in a hot place? The haswell model shouldnt reach 100c.

No, should I clean it?

✨PC Specs✨

Unfortunately Apple likes to sacrifice cooling for looks. I guess it pays the bills.

ASU

12 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Do you live in a hot place? The haswell model shouldnt reach 100c.

Also it only reaches 100c under %100 load with the "yes" terminal stress test.

✨PC Specs✨

Just now, QueenDemetria said:

Since it's used it would be good to clean it and install new thermal paste.

I don't have thermal paste but I can dust it out and stuff.

✨PC Specs✨

22 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I don't have thermal paste but I can dust it out and stuff.

Take a fan.  Take ice.  But ice in cloth sac on fan.  Blow fan on laptop.

or take laptop out in plastic tub.  Take tub and surround it with ice and cold water like Linus did in his video.  

This os if your looking for colder temperatures.  Also buy a MacBook take HD out put in windows computer boot to it .  Throw MacBook away.

3 minutes ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Take a fan.  Take ice.  But ice in cloth sac on fan.  Blow fan on laptop.

or take laptop out in plastic tub.  Take tub and surround it with ice and cold water like Linus did in his video.  

This os if your looking for colder temperatures.  Also buy a MacBook take HD out put in windows computer boot to it .  Throw MacBook away.

If you're going to suggest things, please be serious.

✨PC Specs✨

6 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

If you're going to suggest things, please be serious.

I actually am. If you think I'm not then something's wrong here.   I would never buy a MacBook.  I have those things at my school.  They are shit.  I have a gaming computer which has a really budget CPU and good graphics so I want to die when I use a MacBook.  They are bad they run hot they cost to much.  Buy a laptop cooler.  I know how hot these run.  The metal surrounding the keys can almost burn your fingers when playing a simple game like mincraft.