1440p 144hz or 4k 60hz?

lettuce head

So I just built a new system. Purely for media consumption. Netflix, a lot of gaming (csgo and fallout types alike), dank memes, you get the idea. I currently have a 6600k OC'd to 4.1ghz and a zotac amp! gtx 1080 at their factory superclock with 16gb of ddr4 ram. I also currently have a 1440p 60hz monitor. one of the Korean panels from awhile ago.
I am looking at new monitors. I have always had a 3 monitor setup, and am pretty okay with having 2 lousy 1080p 60hz TN panels as peripheral monitors for awhile if needed.

I know the 1080 will run most games right around the 1440p 144hz threshold as well as 4k 60hz. A VA or IPS panel is pretty much needed as I can't think of buying a TN panel with so much money potentially thrown around.
the main question is what would be the most noticeable, the refresh rate boost or the res. boost? and what monitors do you guys suggest? im still entertaining the fact of a 27" 1440p 144hz, 4k 60hz, or ultrawide 1440p as long as I can get over 60 hz.

In theory they should be about equal spreadsheet wise, 144hz is a little over double 60hz and the amount of pixels in a 4k display is about double the amount in a 1440p display. I had to decide the same thing myself on my recent upgrade and I went with a 1440p 144hz monitor instead of a 4k 60hz.

CPU: I5-6600k | MOBO: MSI Z170-A XPOWER Gaming Titanium Edition | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO |RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2800 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition | Case: MasterCase Pro 5 | Storage: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB, WD Blue 1 TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Display: Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz | Keyboard:Logitech G910 Orion Spark | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Headset: Logitech Artemis G933 | PcPP: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sfgGjc

the refresh rate will be a game changer i have both types of monitors and the 1440p monitor is way more usable at 27" compared to 4k and the high refresh rate is really awesome once you try it you cant go back

any of these would be a good choice all above 60hz the acer and asus use the same panel

that's pretty much the exact consensus that I've gotten. The only other concerns I had were;

1.) g-sync worth the price gap or nah

2.) is curved worth the price gap or nah

3.) how bad is the pixel lottery in these panels

2 minutes ago, the crunchiumo said:

the refresh rate will be a game changer i have both types of monitors and the 1440p monitor is way more usable at 27" compared to 4k and the high refresh rate is really awesome once you try it you cant go back

any of these would be a good choice all above 60hz the acer and asus use the same panel

the chance of getting dead pixel is almost none on these monitors and if you are getting a nice monitor g-sync is really nice from my experience. both my 4k and 2.5k 144hz screens are g-sync and its a game changer. as for curved it is really nice at 34" because it is so wide and brings the edges closer to you. watch linus review of the curved displays.

12 minutes ago, h.patel said:

144hz for gaming at 1440p, but 4k for 4k content, whatever you value more.

do you use/value gaming or 4k media conent.

thats my 2 cents.

that's also my internal debate and ive been leaning towards the refresh rate side of things, but the thought of 4k AAA titles at ultra rustles my jimmies something awful ya know.

2 minutes ago, the crunchiumo said:

the chance of getting dead pixel is almost none on these monitors and if you are getting a nice monitor g-sync is really nice from my experience. both my 4k and 2.5k 144hz screens are g-sync and its a game changer. as for curved it is really nice at 34" because it is so wide and brings the edges closer to you. watch linus review of the curved displays.

my only bug on the ultrawides is that it isn't a fully accepted and supported resolution yet. so you are often paying a significant premium for black bars.

I dont regret my PG278Q, 1440p Gysnc 144hz. I opted away from 4k purely because cards werent really capable of 4k with stable FPS. And I suspect as new titles are released the 1080 will start slow as well 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

I dont regret my PG278Q, 1440p Gysnc 144hz. I opted away from 4k purely because cards werent really capable of 4k with stable FPS. And I suspect as new titles are released the 1080 will start slow as well 

that's another reason why im hesitant to go 4k. im in an matx form factor so sli is an option but I sincerely don't want a 2nd gpu nor do I have another 580 bucks for another 1080 and that still wont buy me guaranteed scaling In some games.

i think for your scenario get either the acer xb271hu or asus pg279q both are excellent monitors and worth every penny imo you can also use it alongside your current monitor with same size and resolution. using a 4k panel with a 1440p as dual monitors is really bad i speak from personal experience as windows scaling is shit.

1 minute ago, the crunchiumo said:

i think for your scenario get either the acer xb271hu or asus pg279q both are excellent monitors and worth every penny imo you can also use it alongside your current monitor with same size and resolution. using a 4k panel with a 1440p as dual monitors is really bad i speak from personal experience as windows scaling is shit.

the asus mg279q has stuck out to me for awhile. although its freesync, ive seen it go for just a hair over 400 bucks. which for what it is, is really incredible to me.

Just now, lettuce head said:

the asus mg279q has stuck out to me for awhile. although its freesync, ive seen it go for just a hair over 400 bucks. which for what it is, is really incredible to me.

it is not a bad option at all if freesync and the 165hz is not important then i would go for that. the price sounds really awesome for what it is and the clean black aesthetic is really nice. only con is no g-sync :)