Samsung HQ raided by prosecutors as South Korean political scandal deepens

Original article from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/08/samsung-scandal-south-korea-president

Samsung allegedly has some higher ups involved in public-private handshakes between not-for-profts and members of the company.

Additional allegations that the investigation will be bias because Samsung makes so much money for Korea.

Pretty bad light given their recent recalls of phones and washer machines.

The scandal follows the recall of 1.9m exploding Galaxy Note smartphones in September and 2.8m faulty washing machines in October, both officially recalled by regulators after major safety concerns.

Now, according to media in South Korea, where Samsung is the biggest national employer, the company’s offices have been searched by prosecutors investigating a confidante of President Park Geun-hye. Samsung is suspected of secretly funding dressage training for the daughter of Choi Soon-sil, Park’s friend of 40 years. According to the Yonhap news agency, Samsung allegedly gave $3.1m to a company that Choi owned in Germany.

Original article from The Guardian: Samsung HQ raided by prosecutors as South Korean political scandal deepens

Investigators are looking into whether Choi interfered in the nomination of senior officials, and used her relationship with Park to force companies to donate money to two not-for-profit foundations she set up and used for personal gain.

“Samsung definitely controls the careers of prosecutors in Korea, destroying the careers of those that take any action against the company,” he told the Independent in 2013.

During campaigning in the presidential elections in 2012, candidates including Park vowed to curtail these powerful business dynasties. However, as polling day approached, Park pulled back on her plans to tackle the chaebols.

Samsung Group, the parent company of Samsung Electronics, is the biggest of all the chaebols, accounting for about one-fifth of the country’s gross domestic product

Samsung did not respond to a request for comment.

damn Samsung why you got to be so mischievous. The self destructing washing machines have been around for years and they keep popping up in the news. Then the Note 7. Now this?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

So how long until Samsung HQ explodes. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well, considering the size and political control on a country that is largely a worshipper of its factories, medical or research facilities and products, its not surprising they can detour and create shadows within the company, that arent exactly the friends of the people of our world. Good job Samsung rulers, greedy mongrels!

Groomlake Authority

It's a multi-billion dollar conglomerate so nothing to be surprised about. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

16 minutes ago, Demonking said:

Like like over here in america giant companies run the politicians.  

Sad, but true.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

2 hours ago, VPrime said:

Original article from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/08/samsung-scandal-south-korea-president

Samsung allegedly has some higher ups involved in public-private handshakes between not-for-profts and members of the company.

Additional allegations that the investigation will be bias because Samsung makes so much money for Korea.

Pretty bad light given their recent recalls of phones and washer machines.

This is such b. I know I said the cuss word without the s to not get banned but South Korea is messed up but not like the North. Samsung won't do a thing like that. Of course the Note 7 scandal etc. but this is all fake. Why would they do it just to get the attention of the people and have Samsung have alot of problems. I disagree and will agree with Samsung Electronics Inc.

Also why not test the Note 7 battery with an S7 and the S7 with an Note 7 while charging to see if it actually the battery of some socket on the Note 7?

14 hours ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

This is such b. I know I said the cuss word without the s to not get banned but South Korea is messed up but not like the North. Samsung won't do a thing like that. Of course the Note 7 scandal etc. but this is all fake. Why would they do it just to get the attention of the people and have Samsung have alot of problems. I disagree and will agree with Samsung Electronics Inc.

Also why not test the Note 7 battery with an S7 and the S7 with an Note 7 while charging to see if it actually the battery of some socket on the Note 7?

South Korea also pardoned Samsung chairman Lee Kun-hee (who was convicted of running slush funds to bribe politicians/courts) to get help campaigning for the winter Olympics.  I wouldn't put it past the company to exert undue influence.

As for testing the Note 7 battery in the S7?  Different battery compartments.  The Note 7's pack likely wouldn't fit in the S7 Edge, or vice versa.  And if it is possible, I suspect Samsung will have already tried it.

22 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Still saddened to see how little-discussed this is. The people around here really do fall in line as they’re told…

... what?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

9 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

People are fed coverage on what the rich and powerful think is important for them to hear. People won’t shut up about the exploding Note 7s, but when politics get involved the media is strangely quiet about all of it. Do you ever wonder why?

One company's scandal isn't really global news. A global product blowing up is. I'm sure in Korea this is big news but the rest of the world really only needs to know the outcome.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

On 09/11/2016 at 1:38 AM, Demonking said:

Like like over here in america giant companies run the politicians.  

The only difference is that the Koreans probably do it better, with a headphone jack. 

- snip-

34 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

It’s not one company’s scandal. There is a major political upheaval going on in South Korea, one of the Allies of the world, okay? That should be pretty big news – Samsung is just one arm of this fiasco.

That's different. I agree that that should be covered more. Luckily/unLuckily depending on who you are this is happening right when the US election is happening and they make everything about them.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)