PSVR Review

Nice. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

My friend has one.

Terrible tracking, very uncomfortable.

Made me feel sick after 25 minutes.

I own a Vive, and i did a 2 hour long live stream, non stop, and i never felt any discomfort or sickness

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

It looks like a good step in the right direction, but I would love to see it being compatible with PC (you know choice is a great thing)

But I will probably hold out for VR Res 2

I've Had mine for over a week and I can say that while the tracking is not as good as the Vive, it is shocking that the APU in the PS4 can handle the what I'll call fun experience, even knowing the optimization and graphical tricks it's using. For an on the couch session, I prefer it. That said try to play Job Simulator on the PSVR without losing control of your hands. Not good. Oh and it took about 4 hours of use to no longer get sick on the thing where as my friends where fine from the start... untill RIGS

I made an account just to post this. Been lurking and watching LTT videos for 2 years? Its been a while

This review by Luke bugged me with some half information. Im not a fanboy. I own a psvr, I have used a rift (both DK1 and current version) and have a few friends who own a vive.

Yes, he stated that the PSVR indeed does have a lower resolution screen than the vive or rift. What he failed to mention was the fact the PSVR has a higher subpixel count than the other two thus technically giving a higher resolution AND much less screen door effect. And it really is a crisper image compared to the other 2.

Rift & Vive: 1080x1200x2(displays)x2(subpixel per pixel): 5184000

PlaystationVR: 1920x1080x3(subpixel per pixel): 6220800

I feel that alone painted the PSVR in a bad light because most consumers are very uninformed and are going to say ''omg lower resolution? console pleeb crap LULZ!"

He then goes on to say 

"The brighter the room the worse the tracking will be. Play in a very dark room"

False. I believe he has it set up incorrectly and/or was outside of the 6 foot recommended range. I play in a bright room, sun coming in through the window with my dual monitor set up behind me pushing out their light. no tracking issues at all. No jitter, nothing.  

Yes I'm defending the PSVR with a righteous zeal because it is really amazing and it bugs me to see some wrong information or half information come through.

The move controllers do suck balls though. Ill give him that.

What interests me, is when Colton and Nick had motion sickness, was it in a bright room or in a dark room? If in bright room, did dimming the lights help with the tracking issues, jitter and did they still get motion sick or not?

2 minutes ago, -Veteran007- said:

What interests me, is when Colton and Nick had motion sickness, was it in a bright room or in a dark room? If in bright room, did dimming the lights help with the tracking issues, jitter and did they still get motion sick or not?

Dark room.

I can almost guarantee that much of my motion sickness was due to the abysmally poor tracking I experienced during some portions of Batman VR. Since there's only one sensor it was pretty common to have the Move controllers impede the tracking of the headset and cause some SERIOUS desync. Aside from that I'd say the experience was relatively enjoyable, but that's a pretty hard point to get past for me. As someone who already owns a PS4 I will not be buying PSVR based on my (admittedly very short) experience with it...

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

Dark room.

I can almost guarantee that much of my motion sickness was due to the abysmally poor tracking I experienced during some portions of Batman VR. Since there's only one sensor it was pretty common to have the Move controllers impede the tracking of the headset and cause some SERIOUS desync. Aside from that I'd say the experience was relatively enjoyable, but that's a pretty hard point to get past for me. As someone who already owns a PS4 I will not be buying PSVR based on my (admittedly very short) experience with it...

Thanks for the reply. Now I started to think, were there more games you tested, because I recall Luke mentioning only the Batman VR. Is the game selection so small? Maybe the PSVR might come out okay, if only it had as much good games as Vive and Rift have.

27 minutes ago, Prysin said:

i think it's weird how @Slick talks of how heavy it is, whilst every other reviewer praises it for being the most comfortable HMD?..... Either there is too much resentment/bias going on, or somebody is saying BS.

"But it makes up for it with awesome mounting implementation which makes it feel more natural, like putting on a helmet or a hat"

Did you miss this bit? Perceptible weight does not equal actual weight. Just because a heavier system is better at distributing weight doesn't mean it's lighter.. But it might mean it feels better

9 minutes ago, Slick said:

"But it makes up for it with awesome mounting implementation which makes it feel more natural, like putting on a helmet or a hat"

Did you miss this bit? Perceptible weight does not equal actual weight. Just because a heavier system is better at distributing weight doesn't mean it's lighter.. But it might mean it feels better

seems like i may have missed that bit indeed. apologies for the accusations.

Heres some questions. Did they try setting it up differently? For example on the other side of the room? In a different room? Did they try moving the camera higher or lower? If not, then not enough was done. Its not a set it and forget it configuration. You have to fiddle with it and adjust accordingly.

And again with the misinformation, you DO NOT NEED A DARK ROOM for proper tracking. The camera was either in the wrong spot, or they were too far from the camera. 

Also notice how they have a bunch of reflective picture frames behind them? The camera could have been picking up the reflection form the lights on the back of the HMD. Did they factor that in? Probably not. 

i think cables is the most annoying thing on all VR headset.

2 hours ago, FoxTwoX said:

Heres some questions. Did they try setting it up differently? For example on the other side of the room? In a different room? Did they try moving the camera higher or lower? If not, then not enough was done. Its not a set it and forget it configuration. You have to fiddle with it and adjust accordingly.

And again with the misinformation, you DO NOT NEED A DARK ROOM for proper tracking. The camera was either in the wrong spot, or they were too far from the camera. 

Also notice how they have a bunch of reflective picture frames behind them? The camera could have been picking up the reflection form the lights on the back of the HMD. Did they factor that in? Probably not. 

Notice how the person in the video using the device was not the person who reviewed it. I'm going to expand this comment a bit more

A dark room does help. It increases your tolerances for other issues which is good.

Did they try setting it up differently? For example on the other side of the room? In a different room? Did they try moving the camera higher or lower? If not, then not enough was done. Its not a set it and forget it configuration. You have to fiddle with it and adjust accordingly.

I did fiddle with the camera a lot, and changed my configuration many times

The tracking was ok but not as good as the others

" Also notice how they have a bunch of reflective picture frames behind them? The camera could have been picking up the reflection form the lights on the back of the HMD. Did they factor that in? Probably not."

Sassy. None of the actual testing was done in that room. Rest assured it was done in a room with no reflective picture frames

Dont you think all of that is stuff that should have been in the video?

Its also possible you were out of the 6foot play range

23 minutes ago, FoxTwoX said:

Dont you think all of that is stuff that should have been in the video?

Its also possible you were out of the 6foot play range

No - I think more important things were said and most of those can be reasonably assumed

I was not outside the 6 foot play range

Well at least you all enjoyed it for what it is.

its a victory for VR and I can only hope it puts us on the direct path for 2nd gen of VR down the road

I want to add to the review that the PSVR is already well on it's way to be used on the PC aswell. Following project (one of a few i know of) is the most promising in my opinion: https://github.com/gusmanb/PSVRFramework

After only about a month, they got a working Program that let's you connect your PSVR to the PC, switch between visual modes (VR and Cinematic) and some general settings. They already are getting all the information that the Headset delivers via USB, but the Gyro sensor data not used for anything so far, so no headtracking. Though if combine what this project has with ReShade you can play Games with it already on the PSVR.

Additionally the author of the Project said that he has contacted the guys who made the move work on PC and is planning on some corporation, so there's that added bonus.

Spoiler

PcHkKT5.png

This image shows me playing Skyrim on the Headset and like Luke mentioned the Motion Sickness is very dependant on who plays and while i had initially some motion sickness after 15min, after a break i was going at it for 2 hours with hardly any issues.

So overall, PSVR has a fantastic chance to be viable for the PC within in this year with the use of all sensors that is in the Headset and maybe some additional room headtracking with camera in the future. Thus i see it as a fantastic value if you own both PC and PS4.

Again the claim that PC + VR costs $1500. It really doesn't have to cost that much anymore.

19 hours ago, FoxTwoX said:

I think the point of a console VR experience is that you shouldn't have to "fiddle with it," and I will grant that PSVR does that better than any current VR headset, however if the goal is for PSVR to become a massively adopted VR platform the problems Slick mentioned in his video are going to be what boatloads of non tech-savy consumers will have to deal with

(most Apple fanboys I know game on PS4 [( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) cause they can't do it on their Ipad Pro ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)]).

Slick may even have gone a little light on the PSVR.

IMO motion sickness is one of the biggest limitations on VR currently, and PSVR has caused motion sickness in people I know who spent 6 hours straight in Minecraft on the Gear VR at release. I have tried every VR experience I can get my hands on and PSVR was the least enjoyable to me - although I didn't get sick, I didn't feel immersed AT ALL.

I think Slick's video did a good job of bringing up the major issues of PSVR while trying not to drive people from VR in general, and for many people PSVR will be a great thing ($$$sav u dem dollas$$$). But I dont think anyone who buys one should throw away the receipt without using it first.

Doesn't surprise me about the tracking/motion sickness feel.  Noticed their camera unit tracking was pretty slow and unreliable, so in a VR application that just magnifies the issue.  They've got some serious hardware upgrades to meet what I'd call a baseline expectation.

5 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Again the claim that PC + VR costs $1500. It really doesn't have to cost that much anymore.

true, you are down to ~1250$ are the bare minimum for a Rift + gaming computer + OS and peripherals. Remember, the PSVR is a screen, just like the RIFT.

So we are talking 399 for PSVR + 299 for PS4 Slim or 399 for the PS4 Pro + 99$ for camera and move controllers...

Total cost for PSVR is around 800-900$

the gaming PC with minimum specs is as following:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cqJpr7

PC with peripherals:

750$ (you may be able to reduce the GPU to a RX 470 and thus cut 50 bucks in price) + Occulus Rift (499?) = 1249$

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

true, you are down to ~1250$ are the bare minimum for a Rift + gaming computer + OS and peripherals. Remember, the PSVR is a screen, just like the RIFT.

So we are talking 399 for PSVR + 299 for PS4 Slim or 399 for the PS4 Pro + 99$ for camera and move controllers...

Total cost for PSVR is around 800-900$

the gaming PC with minimum specs is as following:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cqJpr7

PC with peripherals:

750$ (you may be able to reduce the GPU to a RX 470 and thus cut 50 bucks in price) + Occulus Rift (499?) = 1249$

$1100 for Rift + PC + OS, with the $499 prebuilt they announced at OC3. There was also mention of a $999 bundle, but it doesn't appear to be confirmed at this point. That's total cost; though it does go up $199 if/when you add Touch controllers (which is obviously something most people should/would do).

The system you linked is far above the minimum specs for the Rift.

As for peripherals, the Rift comes with an Xbox controller, and many prebuilts come with a cheap keyboard + mouse combo.