Can I use this CPU without one pin?

The CPU in question is the AMD FX-8350. I recently had it overheat, so I went to check the thermal paste and it was completely dried and stuck to the heatsink and the process of removing it caused one pin to break off (which I have sitting on my desk --- err or not, probably dropped it -- which I don't have)

Image inside spoiler; the missing pin is in the top left corner of the image, 3rd column, 2nd row. I tried finding out if the pin is needed but couldn't find pin layout I could understand. I heard sometimes it can be used without one or two pins is this the case? I can't afford a new CPU right now, but I don't want to have to buy a new CPU and a motherboard in case it fries my motherboard with it if I try using it. I want at least 99% certainty it's good. Please, don't comment unless you're sure :S

Spoiler

CPU.jpg

That pin look like a vddnb, or the memory controller power, there should be lots of these and one missing one shouldn't affect anything.

10$ says it won't work.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

i think you have nothing to loose to find out

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i think you have nothing to loose to find out

1 minute ago, CookieMaster said:

If you can't get a warranty or repair out of it, you have nothing to loose and try it out. 

Are you the same people? "Loose" is spelled the right and you agreed with him.. odd..

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That pin look like a vddnb, or the memory controller power, there should be lots of these and one missing one shouldn't affect anything.

You sure?

6 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

10$ says it won't work.

Will that $10 go to my new CPU fund if it doesn't? Gofundme time?

$10 to ship it to my door.

Honestly, I doubt it would fry anything, rather just not work. Frying usually means too much resistance or voltage. A complete lack of either shouldn't spell out 'more heat', just that a circuit may not be complete. If it's just an additional path for voltage, it'll work (though if this is the case it was originally intended to split current so maybe some slight increase in temps). I'm 99% sure it won't cause immediate damage, just take a look at temps for a while if it does work.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

2 minutes ago, Codingale said:

Are you the same people? "Loose" is spelled the right and you agreed with him.. odd..

american auto spell check. All american spelling looks wrong to me, I'm not OCD about it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

21 minutes ago, Codingale said:

-snip-

I consulted the functional datasheet from AMD and it looks like its a VSS pin , one of a billion , my Phenom II x4 940 missed 2 of those and ran just fine (it even missed a memory pin but eh)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

That pin was there for some reason, doing it's work. Without that pin your system might be unstable or not even working.

I don't think AMD put some pins out there with no work at all.

You can try and see if it works for you. I don't think you will fry anything if you plug in CPU without some pins. Worst case should be no POST.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

don't want to be rude but why do you tell people there spelling is wrong if you can't even ask the correct question? "without a missing pin?" of course it will work if there is no pin missing :P

but all jokes aside, nothing to loose. try booting it up see what happens

1 hour ago, Simon771 said:

That pin was there for some reason, doing it's work. Without that pin your system might be unstable or not even working.

I don't think AMD put some pins out there with no work at all.

You can try and see if it works for you. I don't think you will fry anything if you plug in CPU without some pins. Worst case should be no POST.

So, it posted, temps seem stable.. esh... running Prime95 I got up to 100% usage for about an hour kept about 59C which is a hot but not past the specs..

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yeah, seems fine.. somehow.. temps though are a bit high, last time I didn't apply the thermal paste as it came with my CPU. This time I think I did alright...

33 minutes ago, Codingale said:

So, it posted, temps seem stable.. esh... running Prime95 I got up to 100% usage for about an hour kept about 59C which is a hot but not past the specs..

Yeah, seems fine.. somehow.. temps though are a bit high, last time I didn't apply the thermal paste as it came with my CPU. This time I think I did alright...

59°C is hot for you?

That seems great temp to me, since that CPU is using 200W power lol

Anyway, I'm glad that it's working for you :)

WD My Cloud 4TB